US SS form 7162

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can mail it to the PO box if sending it by mail. Sending it by EMS is the same since it is done by the USPS.

Only if sent by courier (UPS, Fedex, DHL and etc) does it need to be sent the physical address.

You still don't get it. Mailing it to the physical address via EMS is an option if you didn't get the letter that you were supposed to get. It's a way of getting confirmation. Courier isn't necessary but different strokes for different blokes..  

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can mail it to the PO box if sending it by mail. Sending it by EMS is the same since it is done by the USPS.

Only if sent by courier (UPS, Fedex, DHL and etc) does it need to be sent the physical address.

No, it definitely isn't the same. EMS gives you a notification of receipt which is reassuring for some people, especially if they lost benefits. Some consulates do recommend this, and they do it for a reason. 

3 minutes ago, cusanus said:

No, it definitely isn't the same. EMS gives you a notification of receipt which is reassuring for some people, especially if they lost benefits.

I was writing about sending it to the PO box instead of the physical address you used. You can send a EMS to a PO box.

You can also send it by registered mail and get a proof delivery. Not as fast as EMS but the cost is much less.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I was writing about sending it to the PO box instead of the physical address you used. You can send a EMS to a PO box.

You can also send it by registered mail and get a proof delivery. Not as fast as EMS but the cost is much less.

Looks like we agree, then. Thanks. EMS was considerably cheaper than registered mail or courier when I did it, but that probably had something to do with the pandemic when regular mail was shut down. If you were one of the unlucky ones who didn't get a letter and were trying to get benefits restored then you might feel better about proof of reception. I've never had a problem or paid any attention, just sent the thing in the last fifteen years regular mail. 

21 minutes ago, cusanus said:

If you were one of the unlucky ones who didn't get a letter and were trying to get benefits restored then you might feel better about proof of reception.

I have sent them by registered mail that gave me proof of delivery and by regular post in the past.

I like everybody else did not receive one this year. I completed a blank one in August and sent it by email to the office in Manila that was being suggested at that time and they acknowledged receiving it.

Waiting now to see if one arrives by the end of the year or later.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have sent them by registered mail that gave me proof of delivery and by regular post in the past.

I like everybody else did not receive one this year. I completed a blank one in August and sent it by email to the office in Manila that was being suggested at that time and they acknowledged receiving it.

Waiting now to see if one arrives by the end of the year or later.

You're probably right and I'd settle on the receipt for delivery at Wilkes Barr except that I went through the pain of having to get a friend's SS checks reinstated, so I'm going to send a follow up by regular mail. I know it's over the top, but people can't rightly live without their SS checks and I think post Covid you can't talk to someone over the phone, either, and at my age all I've got is time. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's now December 2nd.  I have not received a SSA Form 7162 for either of the two yearly mailings done by SSA in Wilke-Barr.

So what's the next step here.  Contact Manila?  Is SSA Manila even acknowledging there is a problem this year?

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, connda said:

It's now December 2nd.  I have not received a SSA Form 7162 for either of the two yearly mailings done by SSA in Wilke-Barr.

So what's the next step here.  Contact Manila?  Is SSA Manila even acknowledging there is a problem this year?

Yeah me too.

I just took the time to read this entire thread.

It seems apparent to me that nobody in Thailand has received this form this year first or second mailing. As it wasn't mailed. 

Assuming this is true and seeing that Manila keeps telling people wait for the later mailing and the later mailing never happened, it seems to me  radical as it sounds, that its fair to assume that no action will be needed on this form this year.

Unless and until they mail it even later.

Am I wrong?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah me too.

I just took the time to read this entire thread.

It seems apparent to me that nobody in Thailand has received this form this year first or second mailing. As it wasn't mailed. 

Assuming this is true and seeing that Manila keeps telling people wait for the later mailing and the later mailing never happened, it seems to me  radical as it sounds, that its fair to assume that no action will be needed on this form this year.

Unless and until they mail it even later.

Am I wrong?

Right. Nevertheless, some of us mailed ours to Wilkes-Barre in June and again in November. Futile, perhaps, but it's no fun having your benefit abruptly cut off next February. 

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The FBU in London stated benefits will not be stopped for not sending in a 7162. Manila has only said that they would be sent out later this year.

I completed a blank one in August and sent it to Manila by email according to their advice previously and they acknowledged receipt of it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The FBU in London stated benefits will not be stopped for not sending in a 7162. Manila has only said that they would be sent out later this year.

I completed a blank one in August and sent it to Manila by email according to their advice previously and they acknowledged receipt of it.

I also did this but instead of acknowledging the form they sent me this reply:

"Due to the ongoing pandemic, the annual mailing of reporting forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 has been delayedThe forms will be mailed out later this year so, at this time, no further action is needed. To stay updated about what SSA is doing during the COVID-19 pandemic, you may visit SSA’s COVID-19 Updatespage."

Needless to say there is nothing on that webpage about form 7162

I am wonderng if I should print mail to US address instead

OK, I'm going to play the devil's (do nothing) advocate here.

Do you really think they are going to suspend benefits to all the expats in Thailand that haven't gone out of their way to figure out a way to send in the form using an alternative method when they haven't even sent out either of the two mailings?

I realize expats aren't exactly priority one to the U.S. government, but that would be atrocious.

So given that what everyone is afraid of (understandably) is getting our benefits suspended, can people share exactly what it takes to get them restored again?

I realize for people using the 65K income method missing even one month has very severe consequences. 

But other than that segment of people, what is the exact process to get this restored?

I assume you immediately contact Manila and or call Baltimore.

Then what? 

Do you need any more than a fresh form or is it much harder?

How many months does it usually take?

I already know that you get the missed payments when it is restored so losing money isn't the issue. Of course people that are living close to the bone and don't have any reserves would be screwed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Do you really think they are going to suspend benefits to all the expats in Thailand that haven't gone out of their way to figure out a way to send in the form using an alternative method when they haven't even sent out either of the two mailings?

No

From what the FBU in London sent out they will not be suspending benefits this year for not receiving a report from people.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No

From what the FBU in London sent out they will not be suspending benefits this year for not receiving a report from people.

That's what I think too.

But nobody is giving us a guarantee about that.

Particularly Manila FBU.

So I guess it takes some balls to just not even bother to do an alternative method form submission.

Which is why I'm asking, worst case scenario they DO cut off people over this, what's actually involved in restoring a suspended claim?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

So I guess it takes some balls to just not even bother to do an alternative method form submission.

It is very evident that the 7162's were not sent out this year in time to meet the cutoff date for them. I cannot imagine them suspending the benefits due something that was never received.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is very evident that the 7162's were not sent out this year in time to meet the cutoff date for them. I cannot imagine them suspending the benefits due something that was never received.

Yes.

But.

The Manila embassy website still says contact the FBU ASAP if you haven't received either mailing by November 1.

I realize that's a legacy from previous normal years but couldn't that theoretically be used as a rationale to suspend benefits even under the current circumstances?

Cut off expat:

But you never sent either mailing to anyone in Thailand.

S.S. Operative:

It was your responsibility to contact us and resolve the matter just like any year.

On 6/6/2020 at 6:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

I received an email from a friend who got info about it.

Until recently only surface mail (ship) could be sent. Just checked on the Thai post site and found info that was updated on June 2nd that shows EMS parcel post by air is possible. See page 2 here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OGkBLRXkgaOuA-x2N-I2fLe0faBrUXeu/view

I assume by July there might be more options.

I sent two letters to the USA a week ago airmail....told me it would take three weeks to get there. I told recipients to inform me when they arrived.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No surprise based on many experiences I've had, though not that particular one. But that's exactly what did happen in 2018 to a friend of mine. What a surprise to find yourself in a foreign country and suddenly no income. You're right of course, but a rule of thumb for me is that ONLY THE PARANOID SURVIVE. 

15 minutes ago, cusanus said:

No surprise based on many experiences I've had, though not that particular one. But that's exactly what did happen in 2018 to a friend of mine. What a surprise to find yourself in a foreign country and suddenly no income. You're right of course, but a rule of thumb for me is that ONLY THE PARANOID SURVIVE. 

I'm definitely on the paranoid end of the spectrum but I've found in life there are times when doing nothing is the best response.

So again I'm asking to anyone that knows,  if worst case scenario you are cut off,  how hard is it to get the benefits restored?

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, cusanus said:

I think in most cases it happens to people that were not aware of the need to do a 7162 form every year. I suspect also that their address was not correct and that is the reason they did not get one or the cutoff warning sent by January.

After getting one very year in June for several years now II would take action if I did not get one by the end of July I would be getting ready to complete a blank one and send it. Not this year of course since I was aware that others were not getting them.

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm definitely on the paranoid end of the spectrum but I've found in life there are times when doing nothing is the best response.

So again I'm asking to anyone that knows,  if worst case scenario you are cut off,  how hard is it to get the benefits restored?

I've understood it isn't difficult, just send in the proper form to the right place and it may end up the next month is late, nothing serious. In my friend's case it only took a phone call because it had been cut off inappropriately but they wouldn't disclose the reason. I'm not certain, but I don't think since covid you can get a live person anymore in the states, so that ratchets up the anxiety a notch. I agree that there shouldn't be a problem this year. In response to UJ, that particular person has never received anything from either SS or the IRS for reasons no one can explain. Nothing, but her address is correct. So, the 7162 would never be sent to her. Her other correspondence has no problem at all. Go figure. 

Edited by cusanus
1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Well I emailed Manila again and now received thsi answer:

"Due to the ongoing pandemic, the annual mailing of reporting forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 has been suspendedAt this time, no further action is needed and you will continue to receive benefit payments."

That is GREAT news!! Thanks Sheryl

No more paranoia!!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Well I emailed Manila again and now received thsi answer:

"Due to the ongoing pandemic, the annual mailing of reporting forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 has been suspendedAt this time, no further action is needed and you will continue to receive benefit payments."

Thanks as well Sheryl.

I was actually going to email them next week to explicitly ask them if because there have been no mailings this year whether they can finally just say the form won't be needed this year to continue benefits. 

But your report beat me to it!

Yet another case where doing nothing turns out to be the thing to do.

Issue resolved!

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/4/2021 at 11:37 AM, connda said:

I recieved this message today after writing to Manila last week:

"Because of postal service interruptions around the world due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the annual mailing of reporting forms SSA-7162 and SSA-7161 has been suspended. At this time, you do not need to take any action. SSA will not suspend your benefits if you have not completed and returned the forms in 2020. SSA will resume mailing the forms at a later date when conditions have changed."

Well it's now that time of year again when Form 7162 was usually mailed out. Will we get it this year or not?

On 5/28/2021 at 11:17 AM, John Drake said:

Well it's now that time of year again when Form 7162 was usually mailed out. Will we get it this year or not?

I'm leaning towards "Not".

Plan to send the same email to Manila FBU as I did last July.

• Like 1