Thai central bank worried about strong baht, ready to use necessary measures

webfact

4 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

To The BOT.......STOP " Worrying " Just let the Baht " C-R-A-S-H "....A Lot of Problems will be Solved IMHO !!

And how do they crash the baht, oh yeh lets move to negative interest rates like our cousins in Japan, let’s print more money

oh gawd my 800,000baht in Kbank no interest and it’s basically got to stay there, what a bummer, they will probably charge me now to keep it there, just when the stock markets are going bull.

so easy right now to turn my 800000baht into a million and it probably next year is going to be worth 792000 when I probably pay a 1% fee to keep it in bank.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

weaken the baht, make Thailand cheaper to visit---Gosh --what a good idea ----why didn't anyone else think of that...................:coffee1:

And just how do you advise doing that genius?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

been saying it for months now - the Thai baht is being manipulated because it floats and is basically free to roam 

They are right in their assessment that the strength doesn't match the economic climate especially with a 2 trillion bailout loan on the cards which they will never be able to pay

I suggest people do some research on 1997 crash - the similarities are obvious

THB uses a managed peg to USD which means it must remain within a specific range of values, THB does not float. And there is almost nothing today that's similar to the economy of 1997 other than the fact the Baht was used on both occasions!

Edited by Trillian
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Trillian said:

THB uses a managed peg to USD which means it must remain within a specific range of values, THB does not float. And there is almost nothing today that's similar to the economy of 1997 other than the fact the Baht was used on both occasions!

your whole post is nonsense 

45 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

So many "experts" here they think it´s easy to bring a currency up or down by the government. Funny!

it isn't which is why it has to be managed over time, it's all about sentiment and how big funds read those in charge - as soon as there is a change in sentiment or intentions it will tank and people in the know will get a nod first - dirty game

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

WOW....they are finally waking up to the fact that keeping the baht artificially high is damaging the economy.

Most people have known that for ages, oh well better late than never.

No problem. The hiso brigade and PM cronies have now invested their ill-gotten gains off shore in property etc., so time to look good to the people.... ????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buddha Pist said:

Tell us HOW the baht is being kept "artificially high" if "most people have known that for ages".

Just a little something to back up the barstool economics.

Well stay at home chap.....????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1