Smokers beware! Crackdown means lighting up in public could get you a 5,000 baht fine

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Total BS. No science whatsoever. Second hand air? Total nonsense. The unfounded hysteria continues, from an administration so devoid of talent, it boggles the mind. I am not fond of tobacco. Personally, it has taken out countless people that I loved, and really miss. And I find the smell of smoke to be foul.

But, at the same time, I am not fond of big brother, and over reaching laws. If a person cannot smoke outside, where can they smoke? Is it reasonable to tell someone they can only smoke in their homes? 

Yes.

Smokers should not inconvenience non-smokers. On the street nor anywhere else.

If the idiots want to deliberately put poisonous smoke in their lungs, let them do it far away from those who don't.

So yes, it is reasonable. It also stops them being punched in the face or thrown off a baht bus when they refuse to put their cigarette out or get off the bus....

Yes, there were idiots who thought it was their right to be able to smoke on the songthaew.

As you know from the COVID-19 occurrence, people cannot be relied upon to do the right thing.

This way, there is no argument. Bravo! Excellent!

<snip>

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, xxeo said:

What does that mean? Smoking is illegal in Thailand in all public areas, on the street etc.?

It´s not illegal - but you have to wear a mask if you are smoking in public ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It is  news to me that only dirty farangs smoke !

So no fortune to be made there because I think it fairly safe to say the majority of  farang are not dirty.

Frenchmen and Russians smoke, but Aussies and Americans generally don't. Also, where are all these "dirty farang" the other guy mentioned, when no farang aside from the odd diplomat or exempt traveler, has been permitted entry since early April?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Frenchmen and Russians smoke, but Aussies and Americans generally don't. Also, where are all these "dirty farang" the other guy mentioned, when no farang aside from the odd diplomat or exempt traveler, has been permitted entry since early April?

It's just a buzz phrase for the thin skinned paranoiacs.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

smoking is nothing compared to Thailands air pollution and its associated severe heath implications

I'm guessing you are a smoker?

As the op said this is related to corona-virus ("Health authorities have said that Covid-19 can spread far and wide on the smoke"). You don't get corona-virus from car exhausts. It comes out your lungs that a passerby can smell if you blow smoke in the air.

Edited by MJKT2014
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

It´s not illegal - but you have to wear a mask if you are smoking in public ????

Barry  Sheene used to have a hole  drilled in his  crash helmet so he could smoke at races.

Died of cancer.

6 hours ago, xxeo said:

What does that mean? Smoking is illegal in Thailand in all public areas, on the street etc.?

Waiting for the ban on all cigarettes from outlets nationwide, or is it only the "bootleg" cigarettes being pulled off the shelves, but buying Thai brands is perfectly acceptable?

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Wow. Thailand is becoming unrecognizable to the fun, laid back place I first visited in 98.

What a shame it's heading towards becoming a police state.

I say this as a non smoker. 

Yes indeed. That is why I left Thailand just over 4 months ago after almost 20 years in "Amazing Trusted Thailand". You could see this coming over the last 6 years. I am also a non-smoker.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Smokers beware! Crackdown means lighting up in public could get you a 5,000 baht fine

Are they for real? what an Nonsense . People can drink until stupid drunk and drive a MC & car and kill anyone . How many deaths from smoking every Year What they Can Prove 100% , No statistics, Real numbers please? How many deaths & accidents from drinking and driving/riding Under influence of Alcohol . Better if they get their Priorities in order to run the Country and  stop the Corruption and Police the Law on Road rules and safety.

Next they want you to do is Document What you're doing in the cot besides Sleeping . ????