Smokers beware! Crackdown means lighting up in public could get you a 5,000 baht fine

webfact

1 hour ago, MJKT2014 said:

I'm guessing you are a smoker?

As the op said this is related to corona-virus ("Health authorities have said that Covid-19 can spread far and wide on the smoke"). You don't get corona-virus from car exhausts. It comes out your lungs that a passerby can smell if you blow smoke in the air.

do you breath in then out - do I really need to explain it to you

here is a clue just in case you still aren't getting it

Polluted air - breath in .......................................................

go watch the video I suggested instead of trying to be a smart ---

10 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It is  news to me that only dirty farangs smoke !

So no fortune to be made there because I think it fairly safe to say the majority of  farang are not dirty.

and fair to say a very large number of Thais smoke ( not just tobacco)  especially up here in the sticks! Methinks the authorities may be short on cash as the usual sources of fine income have dried up?

I recall it is the law that smoking is banned inside and within a certain distance of entrances ( I forget exactly) outside of all public access buildings so that would not have included beaches without the law on that brought in last year. Smoking in or around your own private property if it affects children is I believe also liable to a prosecution now.. a licence  ( if you have children and if you smoke) for anonymous reporting by neighbours with a grudge.  Its hard to be a smoker these days, not just in Thailand!

9 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Then ban everything else such as alcohol, eating with your mouth open, not taking a shower, obesity looking ugly, speaking English and public forums etc. You have the right to ask the motorcycle guy to put his cigarette out while he takes you. Honestly, I have never had a motorcycle taxi or tuk tuk in BKK keep on smoking his cig while riding me. 

"I have never had a motorcycle taxi or tuk tuk in BKK keep on smoking his cig while riding me" personally I think a cigarette after sex is perfectly acceptable, but not during ????

Remember the "good old days" when you could smoke on a plane or in the cinema, because 1980s technology meant that smoke was unable to travel past the invisible barrier between the first row of smoking seats and the last row of non-smoking ...

The Tessakit ar5e****s who hang out in lower Sukhumvit nabbing tourists for throwing cigarette butts on the ground will be rubbing their hands with glee at this development. Oh. But wait. There aren't any tourists now.

• Like 1

Alcohol kills more people than all

other drugs combined. Alcohol is

the third leading preventable cause

of death in the U.S. The National Institute

not forgetting domestic violence,

accidents and crime.

Seems more logical to ban drinking.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Then ban everything else such as alcohol, eating with your mouth open, not taking a shower, obesity looking ugly, speaking English and public forums etc. You have the right to ask the motorcycle guy to put his cigarette out while he takes you. Honestly, I have never had a motorcycle taxi or tuk tuk in BKK keep on smoking his cig while riding me. 

When people bring up other topics, you know why. It is because you have no argument. 

Argue smoking in public on its merits. The only reason you feel the need to bring up unrelated topics is you have no other argument. 

Have at it, why should people be able to smoke in public? 

20 hours ago, smedly said:

basically no

they are looking for more ways to gouge money from dirty farangs

Get a life, their playing catch up with the rest of the world, where smoking has been banned in public for MANY years

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Australia? No

Look up "countries where smoking is banned in public places" on Google, it starts with Albania and goes through to Zambia.     Bhutan was the first country in 2010

Have a pleasant surprise it's a big world out there beyond your 4 walls

5 minutes ago, a977 said:

Look up "countries where smoking is banned in public places" on Google, it starts with Albania and goes through to Zambia.     Bhutan was the first country in 2010

Have a pleasant surprise it's a big world out there beyond your 4 walls

Don,t need to google my home country laws thanks

• Like 1

Declaring a total ban would be better then everyone would know what they had to do. Hard on smokers. I know, but at least it is better than having to wonder if some secluded spot is a 'public place' or not.

15 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Declaring a total ban would be better then everyone would know what they had to do. Hard on smokers. I know, but at least it is better than having to wonder if some secluded spot is a 'public place' or not.

Hard on Thai tobacco too.

24 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I don't worry. The OP is nonsense. No such law in Thailand. Smoking inside public places has been banned for a number of years but you'd be hard pressed to find a bar that enforces it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Parsve said:

And in the same time researchers in Europe try to find out if nicotin have any positive effect on Corona as they have found out that there is less smokers than non-smokers that have been infected.

That's true. With information emerging from different countries, the Norwegian Institute of Public Health no longer consider smoking a distinct risk factor for severe COVID-19 progression. Smoking was removed from list of risk factors in April of 2020. Statistics from Norway also indicate that smokers are less vulnerable to COVID-19 progression than the general population. Similar findings have been made in the UK, and in other countries as well, as far as I understand. But one should keep in mind that diseases related to smoking might still be considered risk factors. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 10:06 AM, Phil McCaverty said:

Not to my knowledge. Complete BS reporting. If its already banned outside, why the need to ban smoking on beaches?

Why would he think there is total ban yet 7 still sells them? 

23 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Wow. Thailand is becoming unrecognizable to the fun, laid back place I first visited in 98.

What a shame it's heading towards becoming a police state.

I say this as a non smoker. 

Heading towards? It began when P took over. It's just becoming more so as time passes. 

21 hours ago, smedly said:

dumb is when the obvious is explained and you still don't get it

Thais cannot afford these fines - simple

For you it might be simple but you have a distorted view. First of all the fine is 5000 maximum. I don't know the Thai people in your surrounding but there are loads of Thais who have more money than the average expat. Yes, there is racism in every country but I have to laugh at people who think every policy in this country is made for a couple of expats. Specially those who have no importance to this country what so ever.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Yes.

Smokers should not inconvenience non-smokers. On the street nor anywhere else.

If the idiots want to deliberately put poisonous smoke in their lungs, let them do it far away from those who don't.

So yes, it is reasonable. It also stops them being punched in the face or thrown off a baht bus when they refuse to put their cigarette out or get off the bus....

Yes, there were idiots who thought it was their right to be able to smoke on the songthaew.

As you know from the COVID-19 occurrence, people cannot be relied upon to do the right thing.

This way, there is no argument. Bravo! Excellent!

<snip>

What really bothers me even more, is why most smokers think they have the right to toss their cigarette butts wherever they want. It is trash. Put it somewhere other that anywhere you happen to be standing. Show some regard please. 

2 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I don't worry. The OP is nonsense. No such law in Thailand. Smoking inside public places has been banned for a number of years but you'd be hard pressed to find a bar that enforces it.

Do you want to exaggerate just a little more?   Nearly every bar enforces it.  Sure there are a few rogues but in general the smoking ban is very well adhered to.

10 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Do you want to exaggerate just a little more?   Nearly every bar enforces it.  Sure there are a few rogues but in general the smoking ban is very well adhered to.

In Bangkok certainly, smokers are considerate.

In Pattaya not that evident, landlords also not that firm. 

Of course personal experience, others may have a different encounter.