BANGKOK
webfact

Smokers beware! Crackdown means lighting up in public could get you a 5,000 baht fine

1 hour ago, MJKT2014 said:

I'm guessing you are a smoker?

As the op said this is related to corona-virus ("Health authorities have said that Covid-19 can spread far and wide on the smoke"). You don't get corona-virus from car exhausts. It comes out your lungs that a passerby can smell if you blow smoke in the air.

do you breath in then out - do I really need to explain it to you

here is a clue just in case you still aren't getting it

Polluted air - breath in .......................................................

go watch the video I suggested instead of trying to be a smart ---

There's lots of illegal things in Thailand and smoking in enclosed places such as bars and gogos is just an example.

But of course the brown envelope solves these issues time and again.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

trying to be a smart --

Not trying to be smart, it's common sense. Nicotine clouds a smokers judgement and they are always in denial. Sad really.

8 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Not to my knowledge. Complete BS reporting. If its already banned outside, why the need to ban smoking on beaches?

Isan must be another country then

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Isan must be another country then

No idea what you're trying to say but Issan doesn't have any beaches.

• Like 1

Just think of the 5000B fine as a stupidity tax.

Make stupid decisions, pay 5000B.

Up to you. 😀

11 hours ago, smedly said:

.........to gouge money from dirty farangs

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz............Yawn!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It is  news to me that only dirty farangs smoke !

So no fortune to be made there because I think it fairly safe to say the majority of  farang are not dirty.

and fair to say a very large number of Thais smoke ( not just tobacco)  especially up here in the sticks! Methinks the authorities may be short on cash as the usual sources of fine income have dried up?

I recall it is the law that smoking is banned inside and within a certain distance of entrances ( I forget exactly) outside of all public access buildings so that would not have included beaches without the law on that brought in last year. Smoking in or around your own private property if it affects children is I believe also liable to a prosecution now.. a licence  ( if you have children and if you smoke) for anonymous reporting by neighbours with a grudge.  Its hard to be a smoker these days, not just in Thailand!

9 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Then ban everything else such as alcohol, eating with your mouth open, not taking a shower, obesity looking ugly, speaking English and public forums etc. You have the right to ask the motorcycle guy to put his cigarette out while he takes you. Honestly, I have never had a motorcycle taxi or tuk tuk in BKK keep on smoking his cig while riding me. 

"I have never had a motorcycle taxi or tuk tuk in BKK keep on smoking his cig while riding me" personally I think a cigarette after sex is perfectly acceptable, but not during 😉

Remember the "good old days" when you could smoke on a plane or in the cinema, because 1980s technology meant that smoke was unable to travel past the invisible barrier between the first row of smoking seats and the last row of non-smoking ...

The Tessakit ar5e****s who hang out in lower Sukhumvit nabbing tourists for throwing cigarette butts on the ground will be rubbing their hands with glee at this development. Oh. But wait. There aren't any tourists now.

• Like 1

Alcohol kills more people than all

other drugs combined. Alcohol is

the third leading preventable cause

of death in the U.S. The National Institute

not forgetting domestic violence,

accidents and crime.

Seems more logical to ban drinking.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I think a cigarette after sex is perfectly acceptable, but not during

Its acceptable if you ask before lighting up.

what about the smoky skies in C.May ?? no fine there?  

15 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Then ban everything else such as alcohol, eating with your mouth open, not taking a shower, obesity looking ugly, speaking English and public forums etc. You have the right to ask the motorcycle guy to put his cigarette out while he takes you. Honestly, I have never had a motorcycle taxi or tuk tuk in BKK keep on smoking his cig while riding me. 

When people bring up other topics, you know why. It is because you have no argument. 

Argue smoking in public on its merits. The only reason you feel the need to bring up unrelated topics is you have no other argument. 

Have at it, why should people be able to smoke in public? 

20 hours ago, smedly said:

basically no

they are looking for more ways to gouge money from dirty farangs

Get a life, their playing catch up with the rest of the world, where smoking has been banned in public for MANY years

• Like 1