Smokers beware! Crackdown means lighting up in public could get you a 5,000 baht fine

webfact

As a smoker looking to cut or stop, banning smoking in public will definately be a good step to prevention. But being in Thailand, the law will be used in a dual method as usual, with farangs being targetted for money as usual, while the others will get away. Sad.

11 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

When people bring up other topics, you know why. It is because you have no argument. 

Argue smoking in public on its merits. The only reason you feel the need to bring up unrelated topics is you have no other argument. 

Have at it, why should people be able to smoke in public? 

No argument? I basically do not smoke but I do see it as a right of freedom to do it in certain public places. No it should not be allowed everywhere but should not be prohibited everywhere as well. Just because someone is anti smoking does not give you the right to push a one way opinion. If you do not like a person smoking next to you then just get up and move.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 9:58 AM, xxeo said:

What does that mean? Smoking is illegal in Thailand in all public areas, on the street etc.?

What does the new smoking law say?

Smoking is already prohibited inside many venues and on public transport. The key point from the new law is that smoking is banned if it is directly outside various public buildings. There is now a 5-metre ‘exclusion zone’ outside public entrances and exits where it is illegal to smoke. More than 80 types of buildings and venues are covered under the new smoking law which includes:

• airports
  • amusement parks and water parks
  • banks/cash machines/ATMs
  • cinemas and other entertainment venues
  • condos, apartments & rental buildings
  • fitness parks and gyms
  • government offices
  • hospitals and clinics
  • hotels
  • grocery stores
  • libraries
  • laundries
  • massage and spa venues
  • public parking areas
  • pubs
  • religious buildings
  • restaurants
  • schools and nurseries
  • shopping malls
  • swimming pools
  • toilets (public toilets)
  • various transportation areas including bus stops, piers and taxi/mini-van stands
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Smoking is already prohibited inside many venues and on public transport. The key point from the new law is that smoking is banned if it is directly outside various public buildings. There is now a 5-metre ‘exclusion zone’ outside public entrances and exits where it is illegal to smoke. More than 80 types of buildings and venues are covered under the new smoking law which includes:

• airports
  • fitness parks and gyms
  • government offices
  • hospitals and clinics
  • hotels
  • grocery stores
  • libraries
  • laundries
  • massage and spa venues
  • public parking areas
  • pubs
  • religious buildings
  • restaurants
  • schools and nurseries
  • shopping malls
  • swimming pools
  • various transportation areas including bus stops, piers and taxi/mini-van stands

Its been out for quite a while now. Nobody takes a blind bit of notice of it.

17 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:
20 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

• airports
  • fitness parks and gyms
  • government offices
  • hospitals and clinics
  • hotels
  • grocery stores
  • libraries
  • laundries
  • massage and spa venues
  • public parking areas
  • pubs
  • religious buildings
  • restaurants
  • schools and nurseries
  • shopping malls
  • swimming pools

Its been out for quite a while now. Nobody takes a blind bit of notice of it.

I know that.   

I posted that detail for the benefit of a poster who asked about it the legality of smoking in public, not to discuss whether the law was adhered to.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

I know that.   

I posted that detail for the benefit of a poster who asked about it the legality of smoking in public, not to discuss whether the law was adhered to.

I posted it for the benefit of those that didn't know that it had been law for some time and wasn't adhered to. 555

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2020 at 3:49 AM, petermik said:

About blaady time.....one crackdown I do agree with....:thumbsup:

Another crackdown I recommend  is someone who walks into his local bar, adjusts the fans without asking any of the other customers before ordering his bottle & tomato juice for the girlfriend. Remind you of anyone ????????

Edited by gerrygoat

On 6/1/2020 at 11:03 PM, talahtnut said:

Alcohol kills more people than all

other drugs combined. Alcohol is

the third leading preventable cause

of death in the U.S. The National Institute

not forgetting domestic violence,

accidents and crime.

Seems more logical to ban drinking.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm

Nicotine is a drug and tobacco kills many more per year than alcohol. BTW most problem drinkers are also heavy smokers. Tobacco is the leading cause of preventable death.

Seems more logical to ban smoking. 

On 6/2/2020 at 4:41 PM, holy cow cm said:

No argument? I basically do not smoke but I do see it as a right of freedom to do it in certain public places. No it should not be allowed everywhere but should not be prohibited everywhere as well. Just because someone is anti smoking does not give you the right to push a one way opinion. If you do not like a person smoking next to you then just get up and move.

These smokers "freedoms" stop where my breathing starts.