High anxiety - Dusit poll confirms the worst as Thailand suffers in pandemic

webfact

14 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

The cure is starting to look worse than the disease.....

one thing the "disease" did kill off was the minority of insightful posters that objected to the

harshness of the "cure"  as lockdown mentality took hold.   Many of those posters are seldom

seen anymore ,  as they are either tired of getting vacations or realize that it just ain't worth it,

getting the typical "you wouldn't feel that way if it was your auntie"  retorts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

You do realize there is more going on besides a lack of tourists, right?

Car production is down, exports are down, restaurants are empty, shopping malls are empty... this has little to do with tourism

Don,t tourists go in restaurants and shopping malls?

12 hours ago, gamini said:

I thought it would be very obvious that the value of the country's currency depends on it economic performance. The fact is that Thailand's economic performance although bad at the moment is still far better than the UK and America. The UK had its worst economic performance in its history, and what's gonna happen in America nobody knows. I personally think the timeout is going to get stronger and stronger because the country is a huge food producer and tourists will return eventually.

The bath is kept strong because of many factors but the unique and dominant factor is the fact that Thailand is not a democracy. The junta (masked by a faked election) can keep the minimum wage low enough to compensate for the strong bath. Export industry employ a lot of workers where the minimum wage is more of a rule. Short and low quality education ensure at great influx of cheap labor to the factories. Low wages also help take the edge of the strong bath when it comes to tourism. For the ruling class the strong bath has great advantages when doing personal investments abroad (they are all ready to leave the country in a heart beat if things go souer) and getting lower prices on imported luxury goods. The strong bath will not go away.

14 minutes ago, Stygge said:

The bath is kept strong because of many factors but the unique and dominant factor is the fact that Thailand is not a democracy. The junta (masked by a faked election) can keep the minimum wage low enough to compensate for the strong bath. Export industry employ a lot of workers where the minimum wage is more of a rule. Short and low quality education ensure at great influx of cheap labor to the factories. Low wages also help take the edge of the strong bath when it comes to tourism. For the ruling class the strong bath has great advantages when doing personal investments abroad (they are all ready to leave the country in a heart beat if things go souer) and getting lower prices on imported luxury goods. The strong bath will not go away.

Oh deary me! 

18 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

You do realize there is more going on besides a lack of tourists, right?

Car production is down, exports are down, restaurants are empty, shopping malls are empty... this has little to do with tourism.

Don't think that's the point really. It is true that other industries have suffered but this is basically the same everywhere. When something happens that involves the whole world then there is nowhere for investors, buyers etc. to go and escape the general consequences. So, Thailand is bound to suffer too.

Perhaps the point the is that Thailand should learn from this and curb its dependence on tourism. Now, I don't have any idea on what should partially replace it, that is best left to the experts, but it is clear that tourism is the first service that gets hammered and if Thailand doesn't change then it'll get hammered next time too.

Edited by TKDfella

4 hours ago, Trillian said:

If you'd even bothered to read the article you would have seen: Neither the CDC nor the World Health Organization has issued warnings suggesting the use of surgical face masks would result in dangerous oxygen level depletion within the general public.

I think it is time that you did your homework.  Look into the CDC and the WHO.  I have already provided a link about these criminals in this forum in the past but no doubt you only follow your beliefs and not the truth of the matter.  Anyway, believe what you want and stop pretending you know more than others before doing your homework first.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Did anyone else catch the BKK post article just a few days ago that stated there was so much cash rolling into Banks that they quite literally couldn't put it to use given the economic climate.

I had a good laugh indeed.

I can confirm that is true, as we negotiated a new mortgage for the house past month. Yes, negotiated... instead of just getting a quote from the bank we could come back and ask for lower rates, them paying the 1% fees, etc. We had 2 banks bidding against each other. And the bank we went with asked us several times if we didn't want some extra money for a similar rate. Maybe a few million for some rebuilding? Or a million at least, that is handy right? Take a few hundred thousand otherwise, you can pay it back immediately if you can't use it... It was pretty clear they had more money than they could get rid off.

10 hours ago, Diddl said:

So where have you been? I haven't seen you talk about this, in fact I haven't seen anyone on this forum talking about this.  So, tell me, who is talking about this on the forum and when?

There is a minority on the forum who would be willing to discuss the whole thing, but only " credible " sources are allowed here. But of course I understand your point, the good news is that even msm media, even if a bit too late, are giving some space to different opinions. Unfortunately, for too many people the TV is still the main source of information, what can you do..

It will be interesting to see if Thailand follows the western trend of burying their central bank by having it gobble up all the naughty toxic assets from uncle, who will likely leave the national boys with halfway finished 500 room luxury condos, and paper banks. We will know when suddenly the masks come  off. Never mind.

I truly hope my host will recover.

A lot of good people are suffering. Thailand for Thailand ???????? 

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

There is a minority on the forum who would be willing to discuss the whole thing, but only " credible " sources are allowed here. But of course I understand your point, the good news is that even msm media, even if a bit too late, are giving some space to different opinions. Unfortunately, for too many people the TV is still the main source of information, what can you do..

Once upon a time there was this thing.   It was , as history claims, prevalent in the days of

Socrates.   Little by little, over time,  speed wore down that skill .  Fast cars, fast women, fast internet, and of course fast food .  This "thing"  fondly remembered as critical thinking .  

Long gone from the pages of media outlets and forums .  These are now the domain of the

powerful  self deleted . 

The plebes have taken over.  Discussions start with quotations from their favorite "sources".

All knowing men watch over the dialogue and decide what is right for their perspective.

What can you do ?     Just bend over and grin and bare it .    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Diddl said:

I think it is time that you did your homework.  Look into the CDC and the WHO.  I have already provided a link about these criminals in this forum in the past but no doubt you only follow your beliefs and not the truth of the matter.  Anyway, believe what you want and stop pretending you know more than others before doing your homework first.

Stop Press: Detailed forensic investigation now reveal that the large numbers of deaths in the global medical fraternity were actually caused by doctors and nurses breathing in an excess of Co2 due to their face masks. The Department of Health was quoted as saying, "we never knew".

Edited by Trillian

I find it weard that no country asks China to show their gold (each country is supposed to have enough gold to cover the amount of money they print) China cleary does not, yet I think they help Thailand to keep the baht so strong, this <deleted> that investors fall over each other to invest in Thailand is over the hill, or money lawning on a large scale

1 hour ago, johnarth said:

I find it weard that no country asks China to show their gold (each country is supposed to have enough gold to cover the amount of money they print) China cleary does not, yet I think they help Thailand to keep the baht so strong, this <deleted> that investors fall over each other to invest in Thailand is over the hill, or money lawning on a large scale

There is no such requirement, there is no relationship between the volume of money a country prints and gold that they hold. The gold standard was finally ended completely in about 1977.