Cost of adding an extra floor above my carport.

scott1999

Hi all, advice please.

I'm looking at lifting the roof of the carport and adding a floor to give me an extra room, similar to the drawing. Does anyone have an idea of the cost? I don't need walls on the upper level only a railing. Thanks.

707953477_Screenshot2020-05-29at21_38_24.png.344edbbbfcc600789a5efa3ad91ba968.png

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3c86.jpg

Need pix of how the roof is connected, so to see what additional structure is required..  

Concert plank flooring cheapest, measure the sq.M size and you can work out much that is. 

Dismantling existing roof and adding additional structure required, lay floor and erect railings, replace existing roof you need labour costs, from your chosen builder.

Go with an external staircase.. 

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Looks to me like you'd be better off tearing it down and starting over.

Why? The posts look substantial enough to do the job. It’s not going to be a living space on top, no walls, so not a huge extra weight.

i would think the job could cost under 50k if it’s only above the existing space

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Why? The posts look substantial enough to do the job. It’s not going to be a living space on top, no walls, so not a huge extra weight.

WOW! Thank you for your Knowledge sir. I can save money doing it as you suggested.

10 minutes ago, Tagged said:

How old is the iron? And what iron quality? 

How is the iron anchored to the posts? 

Thank you for your reply. The villa is 12 years old and the quality? If you go by the way the villa was built, I would have to say; quality is good. As for (Anchored) See photo. Thanks again

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3caf.jpg

29 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

i would think the job could cost under 50k if it’s only above the existing space

Yes, I was quoted 80 Baht A square metre for labour by a local builder. Thank you so much for your advice. It really is helping me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, scott1999 said:

Thank you for your reply. The villa is 12 years old and the quality? If you go by the way the villa was built, I would have to say; quality is good. As for (Anchored) See photo. Thanks again

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3caf.jpg

You could lift the original roof, and made new base and iron below, but then you need to know if its possible, both the structure is strong enough, and you have people who know how to do it. The iron quality is not stainless steel I would say by looking at it but could be wrong. 

The steel is not welded in to the steel of the posts? Just grounded by weight? 

It might just be better off to build a new one, and it would not cost more than 50k, 

here we pay 2000 bath for one posts for the work only, and good insulated roof less than 250,- a m2. Steel Same dimentions you have there in the base, is 800 baht for 6 meter stainless steel. So my best guess is build new. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tagged said:

You could lift the original roof, and made new base and iron below, but then you need to know if its possible, both the structure is strong enough, and you have people who know how to do it. The iron quality is not stainless steel I would say by looking at it but could be wrong. 

The steel is not welded in to the steel of the posts? Just grounded by weight? 

It might just be better off to build a new one, and it would not cost more than 50k, 

here we pay 2000 bath for one posts for the work only, and good insulated roof less than 250,- a m2. Steel Same dimentions you have there in the base, is 800 baht for 6 meter stainless steel. So my best guess is build new. 

Thanks for you fantastic info. It is really helping me. So far I'm way under budget. Ha ha ha. Thanks to you!

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If it's not going to be a living space, what is it going to be? It looks like a living space in the OP.

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If it's not going to be a living space, what is it going to be? It looks like a living space in the OP.

I would like to make it a open plan (No walls) Breakfast and chill area (Evening). The views are spectacular from that height. That was the closest drawing I could find for what I want to achieve, but without the walls of course. The step down area on the left of the drawing I am considering a plunge pool area. The Plunge pool being made from concrete, with wood decking. There is already a concrete base there to build on. 

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 19.24.57.png

3 minutes ago, scott1999 said:

I would like to make it a open plan (No walls) Breakfast and chill area (Evening). The views are spectacular from that height. That was the closest drawing I could find for what I want to achieve, but without the walls of course. The step down area on the left of the drawing I am considering a plunge pool area. The Plunge pool being made from concrete, with wood decking. There is already a concrete base there to build on. 

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 19.24.57.png

For 80 baht a square meter?

I you are trying to build the cheapest thing possible, use the existing roof and columns.

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

For 80 baht a square meter?

I you are trying to build the cheapest thing possible, use the existing roof and columns.

Yes, If possible use the roof and the columns.

Edited by scott1999

Just now, scott1999 said:

Roger that. Thank you everyone for taking the time to help in this matter. I need to build my confidence before talking to a builder

For 3,840 you can't go far wrong, you just need to know what you want.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Anything you 'add' to this structure and what method you choose is not the main consideration.  The main factor is the load bearing capability of the existing columns ( posts).  Were you around when they cast these and if so can you recall how deep they went.  If not then you are gambling on them being deep enough to carry any extra weight.

Without then revealing the foundations my only suggestion would be to use as light weight materials for the 'extension' as possible. Pre cast concrete slabs are very heavy, so my solution would be steel beams and a wooden deck.  Maybe look at reducing some of the weight in the roof to compensate.

Thanks for your input. No, I wasn't around when this villa was built. So I like your advice. Keep it light with wood decking. Thanks again

Edited by scott1999

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Didn’t you read the text that went with the picture??? 

I don't need walls on the upper level only a railing. Thanks.

So you want something like this without the water

E5D5D38B-B7D0-4987-BDFA-1C718447C6DC.jpeg.0584436a44366cda6cefacd845928628.jpeg6C5632AD-7DC1-4B2B-9FFC-7D8CD3D69875.jpeg.3ac69433fbfb563aeee289b68537fe85.jpeg3D5557D8-AD75-4CAF-98EC-6E75F80819D0.jpeg.58076e08aad34e4650d0c1676ac0d18d.jpeg

or this with railings 

B3A4BC53-49EF-455D-BD07-45E1988C62BA.jpeg.e18a9af22748973d1016d2548c0d664f.jpeg

on top of the carport + something a little similar beside it

one thing I would do is drop the clearance height for the carport as if you leave it as is the whole building is going to be too high 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scott1999 said:

Yes, I was quoted 80 Baht A square metre for labour by a local builder. Thank you so much for your advice. It really is helping me.

So about $100 or so total labor.

What could go wrong?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

For 3,840 you can't go far wrong, you just need to know what you want.

Hi,

I know I'm way off with the pricing, that is why I asked for help in this forum. Here is some new info, the farm next door to me is having a new barns erected and from my bad Thai and their bad English. With a concrete floor these barns are costing about 20,000 baht each. I think with everyone's help I'm getting a clearer picture of what I want and how much it will cost. Thanks again everyone. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3cb9.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3cba.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3cbb.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3cbc.jpg