Cost of adding an extra floor above my carport.

scott1999

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

How deep are your foundations on the car port that will depend if you can go up another floor I  would imagine looking at the pictures that you might have to re enforce the foundations 

Understand you Mr. O. From their broken English I'm sure I heard them say, "Knock Down". Maybe better to just start again. Here is the concrete floor next to the carport where I would like waist high decking with a plunge poolUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3cc7.jpg.26f3523ecb00870fd1286eea8f435e66.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 19.24.57.png

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 15.51.09.png

2 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

Depending where you live (city vs rural) there are permits needed to add another floor to an existing structure. Suggest you run your idea by an architect/builder before you commit money to materials.  

Thanks for the heads up. But I live 30 km inland from Hua-Hin, jungle jungle rural little village. My land was part of the farm once. Some of my land the farm still uses for feeding their cows. But yes, I agree need to get that paper. Over my wall is the farm, Maybe 20 rai to my 1 rai ha ha ha ha

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3c6a.jpg

1 hour ago, scott1999 said:

Understand you Mr. O. From their broken English I'm sure I heard them say, "Knock Down". Maybe better to just start again. Here is the concrete floor next to the carport where I would like waist high decking with a plunge poolUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3cc7.jpg.26f3523ecb00870fd1286eea8f435e66.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 19.24.57.png

Screenshot 2020-06-02 at 15.51.09.png

Is it just a concrete slab or is it properly reinforced with rebar.

My suggestion would be to try and save the roofing materials, if they're not too sun damaged, then knock down and rebuild so the structure will be built to carry designed weight and shear force on the columns.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, scott1999 said:

Thanks for the heads up. But I live 30 km inland from Hua-Hin, jungle jungle rural little village. My land was part of the farm once. Some of my land the farm still uses for feeding their cows. But yes, I agree need to get that paper. Over my wall is the farm, Maybe 20 rai to my 1 rai ha ha ha ha

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3c6a.jpg

You are probably far enough out that no paperwork is needed, check with the village headman, make sure your neighbours have no problem with what you intend to build.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RichCor said:

My suggestion would be to try and save the roofing materials, if they're not too sun damaged, then knock down and rebuild so the structure will be built to carry designed weight and shear force on the columns.

Agreed, or I will have old and new look. Better to have old and old look

1 hour ago, andygrr said:

I don't know. But I'm hoping the decking and the plunge pool won't be too heavy for the concrete.

Edited by scott1999

11 hours ago, scott1999 said:

The step down area on the left of the drawing I am considering a plunge pool area. The Plunge pool being made from concrete, with wood decking. There is already a concrete base there to build on. 

4 hours ago, scott1999 said:
5 hours ago, andygrr said:

I don't know. But I'm hoping the decking and the plunge pool won't be too heavy for the concrete.

If the 'decking' is any way elevated above the concrete pad then the weight of the deck, plunge pool, and water will be concentrated on the support posts an not distributed across the concrete pad surface -- unless you take that into account and add additional supports under the structure. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RichCor said:

If the 'decking' is any way elevated above the concrete pad then the weight of the deck, plunge pool, and water will be concentrated on the support posts an not distributed across the concrete pad surface -- unless you take that into account and add additional supports under the structure. 

I'm guessing the "pool" will sit on the slab, and the deck would be supported by the columns. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I'm guessing the "pool" will sit on the slab, and the deck would be supported by the columns. 

That was my assumption as well and why I said 

11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The decking will not, the pool may.

Meaning the decking at the high level will not be a problem for the existing supports, however the current  concrete pad may not be strong enough to support the weight of a pool, it’s almost certainly thin and may have little or no reinforcement in it

my approach would be to build on the posts but dig up the slab beside the carport and put down a slab that reinforced, or you could treat the existing slab as the ground and put a new slab onto it.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Meaning the decking at the high level will not be a problem for the existing supports, however the current  concrete pad may not be strong enough to support the weight of a pool, it’s almost certainly thin and may have little or no reinforcement in it

my approach would be to build on the posts but dig up the slab beside the carport and put down a slab that reinforced, or you could treat the existing slab as the ground and put a new slab onto it.

Were it *me I would just reinforce the pool, including the bottom.

Assuming he wants to use the existing columns, I think it would be better to pour stubs next to the existing to support the deck.

*But then again, I would likely demo what was there and start over...

Edited by Yellowtail
added foot-note
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

IMO your are correct about the concrete pad not being strong enough. Weight is important of course. Thank you everyone for your advice on these matters. Only today I have found some more photos which mirror what I am hoping to achieve.

My plain is to still have the ground floor as the carport and to have the pool to the left of the main structure. But I like the design of this a lot. Looks like on picture one you can see a concrete floor for the the upper level and picture 3 has a nice wooden finish. 

Thanks a lot to everyone I'm really learning a lot from all of your comments. 

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 08.57.08.png

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 08.55.59.png

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 08.56.19.png

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 08.57.33.png

Just by way of reference, we built this carport a few years ago. When I told the contractor, who is a structural engineer by training, that someday we would be adding a room on top, he put in a double-reinforced concrete floor (two layers of rebar grid). And we used poured pillars rather than prefab. 

IMG_20200603_121332956_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Just by way of reference, we built this carport a few years ago. When I told the contractor, who is a structural engineer by training, that someday we would be adding a room on top, he put in a double-reinforced concrete floor (two layers of rebar grid). And we used poured pillars rather than prefab. 

IMG_20200603_121332956_HDR~2.jpg

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. At the moment I'm into minds. 1: To try and do it as cheap as possible, Using the existing columns and roof and thickness of the concrete floors. 2: Dismantling the roof, digging up the concrete, and starting from scratch. At the moment I'm leaning towards, starting from scratch. Very similar to what you have done, In preparation of building your room. But price will be contributing factor. So thanks again for everyone who's giving me advice. I really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...