Expat car importing into Thailand ?

Hi All, 

I can recall several years ago the Thai Gov banned anyone from importing a personally owned car into the country when moving to Thailand.

I think it had something to do with rich little thai's bringing in very expensive high performance cars.

Is this ruling still in place ?

I would like to bring my car from Australia when my thai wife and myself move to thailand in about 2 yrs time. 

Kind Regards

Aussie Chris.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks for that I was only hoping those stupidly high tax tariffs had changed but apparently not !

I know for a while there you could bring in a car if it was registered in your thai wives name ?

Does anyone know if that is still possible ?

I think then you avoided paying the import tax on the vehicle ?

But I am probably wrong on that !

Cheers Aussie Chris.

I checked this out myself years ago for my Magna AWD in Australia. By the time the OP has navigated the quagmire of Thai bureaucracy, he will have suicidal tendencies. That's even before he starts shelling out the dosh required, which is astronomical.

Just buy a secondhand whatever here with low mileage, preferably owned by a farang beforehand.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that I was only hoping those stupidly high tax tariffs had changed but apparently not !

I know for a while there you could bring in a car if it was registered in your thai wives name ?

Cheers Aussie Chris.

55 minutes ago, aussie chris said:

Cheers Aussie Chris.

Who knows what will happen in 2 years from now.

Just read an article in the Bangkok Post about car makers lobbying the government to reduce it's ridiculously high excise taxes...and I'm talking about locally made cars here, which are by no means cheap. Most people think it's only imported cars that are expensive but that's an urban myth.

Actually, it works as follows: Thai and ASEAN made vehicles (those manufactured in a Malaysian or Indonesian factory) are generally similar in price, due to a commitment to not impose any duties on ASEAN origin goods as part of the ASEAN FTA and ASEAN Economic Community, which entered into force in 2015.

Vehicles imported from elsewhere are subjected to very high duties of up to 380%.

As an example, the entry level Toyota Corolla, made in Thailand, sells for just THB 563000 in Australian showrooms (converted to Baht from AUD). It's the manual transmission model but has the usual number of airbags and other safety features required by Australian law.

The US version, available only in auto, starts from THB 623000 and could be made locally or imported from Canada, Mexico or even Japan. Either way, that's the price you pay.

Now get this. The Thai made version, sold locally, costs a whopping THB 879000 Baht, comes in auto only (manual no longer available), and features the bare minimum in safety features and technology. If you want the bells and whistles, you're going to be spending over a million Baht! Yes, for a Toyota Corolla.

How do they come up with such rip-off pricing? Thai consumers earn at least 7-10 times less than Aussies or Americans. Why are they paying a good 50% more for a car, and then get fewer features? It's outrageous!

If this continues, especially in light of the current economic circumstances, no wonder the entire car industry in Thailand could go belly up, as warned in that article. The government needs to stop being so greedy and reduce it's ridiculous taxes once and for all. Besides, without access to financing, due to stricter lending criteria, the number of cars sold in Thailand could go down by 90% since hardly anyone can afford to purchase one in cash.

My take is - unless you own a very special sort of vehicle, something expensive and unique not normally found in Thailand (such as a full size US pickup truck or a luxury vehicle of some sort), then sell it and purchase a new one locally.

Another possibility is - bring it over on a temporary import and then try registering it locally, which you may need to grease the wheels of bureaucracy here and there. However, since 2016 there is a new law that requires foreign cars to come in with a permit and guide. This is expensive enough and if you come in under this system, registering the car locally becomes rather unlikely. Some border crossings still seem to permit cars to enter without a tour, but this loophole seems to be drying up so I wouldn't attempt that.

The best case scenario is - with the government fearing the loss of car manufacturing in Thailand, it may be forced to lower taxes and may even permit the odd vehicle coming in from abroad to be imported. My advice is thus - IF you feel your vehicle is worth importing into Thailand, register it in your wife's name first, as it will be easier to import it in a Thai's name than a foreigner. You can subsequently re-register it in your name in Thailand, after it's been registered in your wife's name first. This is a simple procedure costing a few thousand Baht.

You still have 2 years to see whether the law evolves in your favour or not.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

I heard that a Thai national can bring a foreign car in, as long as it was registered in their name for 6 years. 

Other than that, I agree with all the other posters about it not being worth while. 

I just thought I'd mention it in case it was in your wife's name. 

I read on the customs website the requirement was it to be registered in their name for 1.5 years, or 18 months.

• Like 1

Hi All 

Thanks for those replies it certainly answers my question.

Sadly it's obviously too prohibitive to do, with the crazy Thai import taxes !

Will just buy a Thai built Ford Ranger or something similar as they are taxed lower if that's still the case there ?

Hoping it is ?

Thanks for the good replies !

Are any of those replying to my post in Roi Et ?

Kind Regards

Aussie Chris.

• Like 1

Just now, aussie chris said:

Hi All 

Will just buy a Thai built Ford Ranger or something similar as they are taxed lower if that's still the case there ?

Hoping it is ?

Kind Regards

Aussie Chris.

Just out of interest, in order not to speculate any further, what kind of vehicle is it that you own in Australia, that you were wanting to import here?

Hi All 

Hoping it is ?

Kind Regards

Aussie Chris.

Well now it's an old car it's a 2010 Thai built Honda v6 luxury with only 67,000 klm's on it, full leather,sat nav sunroof, heated seats not much good in Thailand lol 

It  really is a JOKE the silly taxes to bring a Thai built car back into Thailand , seems absurd to me !

Obviously the reason for the new higher taxes on Thai built cars is !  

1 To pay for the Submarine or submarines whatever it was ?

2 To pay for however many Tanks they purchased ?

3 And whatever other unnecessary war mongering items the General purchased !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aussie chris said:

Well now it's an old car it's a 2010 Thai built Honda v6 luxury with only 67,000 klm's on it, full leather,sat nav sunroof, heated seats not much good in Thailand lol 

It  really is a JOKE the silly taxes to bring a Thai built car back into Thailand , seems absurd to me !

Noooooo, when you get fed up with the ..????..red tape as your car sits at the docks, the staff are pulling straws as to who will drive it home ......????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, aussie chris said:

Hi All 

Hoping it is ?

Kind Regards

Aussie Chris.

I'm near Roiet, Kuchinari. I know a couple of people who imported cars from UK. One was a RR but sent it back because of extra money he would have had to pay.

The other one is still here.

PM me if you want his TV name.

Sad to say but I agree with all comments, it would be gut wrenching sitting at a street bar somewhere and seeing what was my car flying past, not a good memory to have !

Love the pic of the so called reassembled car ! 

Only in Thailand LOL

Cheers to all 

Aussie Chris.

19 hours ago, drbeach said:

Who knows what will happen in 2 years from now.

Just read an article in the Bangkok Post about car makers lobbying the government to reduce it's ridiculously high excise taxes...and I'm talking about locally made cars here, which are by no means cheap. Most people think it's only imported cars that are expensive but that's an urban myth.

Actually, it works as follows: Thai and ASEAN made vehicles (those manufactured in a Malaysian or Indonesian factory) are generally similar in price, due to a commitment to not impose any duties on ASEAN origin goods as part of the ASEAN FTA and ASEAN Economic Community, which entered into force in 2015.

Vehicles imported from elsewhere are subjected to very high duties of up to 380%.

As an example, the entry level Toyota Corolla, made in Thailand, sells for just THB 563000 in Australian showrooms (converted to Baht from AUD). It's the manual transmission model but has the usual number of airbags and other safety features required by Australian law.

The US version, available only in auto, starts from THB 623000 and could be made locally or imported from Canada, Mexico or even Japan. Either way, that's the price you pay.

Now get this. The Thai made version, sold locally, costs a whopping THB 879000 Baht, comes in auto only (manual no longer available), and features the bare minimum in safety features and technology. If you want the bells and whistles, you're going to be spending over a million Baht! Yes, for a Toyota Corolla.

How do they come up with such rip-off pricing? Thai consumers earn at least 7-10 times less than Aussies or Americans. Why are they paying a good 50% more for a car, and then get fewer features? It's outrageous!

If this continues, especially in light of the current economic circumstances, no wonder the entire car industry in Thailand could go belly up, as warned in that article. The government needs to stop being so greedy and reduce it's ridiculous taxes once and for all. Besides, without access to financing, due to stricter lending criteria, the number of cars sold in Thailand could go down by 90% since hardly anyone can afford to purchase one in cash.

My take is - unless you own a very special sort of vehicle, something expensive and unique not normally found in Thailand (such as a full size US pickup truck or a luxury vehicle of some sort), then sell it and purchase a new one locally.

Another possibility is - bring it over on a temporary import and then try registering it locally, which you may need to grease the wheels of bureaucracy here and there. However, since 2016 there is a new law that requires foreign cars to come in with a permit and guide. This is expensive enough and if you come in under this system, registering the car locally becomes rather unlikely. Some border crossings still seem to permit cars to enter without a tour, but this loophole seems to be drying up so I wouldn't attempt that.

The best case scenario is - with the government fearing the loss of car manufacturing in Thailand, it may be forced to lower taxes and may even permit the odd vehicle coming in from abroad to be imported. My advice is thus - IF you feel your vehicle is worth importing into Thailand, register it in your wife's name first, as it will be easier to import it in a Thai's name than a foreigner. You can subsequently re-register it in your name in Thailand, after it's been registered in your wife's name first. This is a simple procedure costing a few thousand Baht.

You still have 2 years to see whether the law evolves in your favour or not.

I think a lot if that is due to poor XE....do the conversion with AUS at 33 and US at 38...

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, transam said:

Noooooo, when you get fed up with the ..????..red tape as your car sits at the docks, the staff are pulling straws as to who will drive it home ......????

Wonder who is driving the one i sent over about 18 yrs ago????? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, aussie chris said:

Cheers Aussie Chris.

May I ask why you want to import your used car instead of selling it and buy a second hand car here? 

18 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Unfortunately Thailand has got itself into a real mess with its ill-considered car tax regime. 

Probably the only way to get your car here would be to strip it down into parts and send them over 'one piece at a time' - a la Johnny Cash...

4824777148_14b063bc21_b.jpg

Big chief Buddhist monk had a go at that with a

vintage Benz in bits. but-

Top monk's rare Benz totally illegal

Didn't get any merits for that for sure.

23 hours ago, aussie chris said:

Although your situation regarding the car might be slightly different I think you will find it’s all about protecting the car industry in Thailand and jobs something  that used to apply with tariffs ( taxes) on imports into Australia.

In those days not only did Australia manufacture cars, but white goods televisions, clothing, footwear etc.

Then someone came up with the brainwave that there should be a “ level playing” tariffs were reduced or removed and now no virtually no manufacturing industries in Australia.

Maybe Thailand has the right idea protect your own.

• Like 1