How Many Expats Have a Masters Degree and/or PhD (they are not using)

Pilotman

18 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Engineering some 40 yrs ago, as you "had to get a trade": was the thinking back then. (hated it)

So, Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship that led to my degree.

Later in Life (mid 1990's) after a divorce I went back to college and did a PGCE and a TEFL, which took me to China ! which in turn led me to Thailand, where I kinda got stuck !????

But at least you were able to use all that education and qualification here. 

Just now, Pilotman said:

But at least you were able to use all that education and qualification here. 

Unfortunately no, never used any of it here, although I have been approached many times by the local University. 

I used it to travel and let others pay me to do so. ????

• Like 2

I was refused a job that I was qualified for because I was overqualified. It was sports editor for the Thailand Times.  I shouldn't have been honest about my previous jobs' salaries as an offshore petroleum engineer and a condition monitoring engineer. It was about 10,000 baht a day. But I was happy to pick up a job at ECC for 170 baht/hour ???? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I would love to be able to help out teaching English, as I know that the local English teacher in my village is useless. I don't care too much about the salary as I don't have much in the way of outgoings, but obviously the red tape is horrendous.

Yes I agree.  It's not about money. I find it quite frustrating  that I don't use the knowledge gained over so many years, at least not in Thailand.   My ex employers in Taiwan use me for various one off projects and some mentoring of aviation students, but that does not require a higher degree education, just a lot of experience. 

18 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I have a first class science masters from a good university that I needed for my profession back in the UK. No use whatsoever here.

If you search a bit, you'll find it could be very useful. There are many global companies around Bangkok.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I was refused a job that I was qualified for because I was overqualified. It was sports editor for the Thailand Times.  I shouldn't have been honest about my previous jobs' salaries as an offshore petroleum engineer and a condition monitoring engineer. It was about 10,000 baht a day. But I was happy to pick up a job at ECC for 170 baht/hour ???? 

what a stupid reason to deny you the job.  

I'm sure your advanced degree could be put to good use, if there is a company willing to employ you, or the industry you are in, is actually operating in the country.

An aeronautics or aviation degree will probably only find limited usefulness.

I hold a Bachelor and Masters qualification in engineering.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you search a bit, you'll find it could be very useful. There are many global companies around Bangkok.

I must be looking in the wrong places. Though I'm not looking for work, it would be nice to know there are options should my position change in the future. 

• Like 1

I recommend to anyone looking for serious secondary level teaching in Thailand, which unfortunately is at private or international schools, to have at least a Master's, preferably in education.

Of course, this isn't required at this level. But it definitely gets you a leg up over the thousands of other expats showing up to teach with just their Bachelor's. It also proves to these schools you're more likely to be of the caliber they're looking for, rather than the majority looking to play Hangman for a few hours, then pick up their paycheck to go party.

Also, such a degree aids in getting your 5 year "permanent" teaching license, rather than the 2 year waiver others must keep getting.

Master Home Economics from Agriculture University Wageningen, The Netherlands. Degree in teaching home economics and health science.

I could help to get more insight in financial problems in the ordinary Thai household. Manage income, budgetting, debts on credit cards, insurance, mortgages, saving, etc. Learn them cook, clean, wash and iron. Teach them about hygiene, medicines, healthy lifestyle, etc. It sounds not important, but it would help significant in day to day life for the blue collar working class.

• Like 2

I have an MA in Education from the UK. I don't really need it to teach in an international school here as I already have the PGCE + QTS. The only benefit I get from it is a slight increase on the school salary scale and it looks good on the CV when applying for leadership positions. I would say only 1 module out of the 6 I did were truly interesting and beneficial to my day to day teaching. 

• Like 1

Research scientist, chemistry background. Process troubleshooter. Could still teach it if I was wanted, but I'm not.

I don't know what is needed to get a Masters or Ph.D. here, but I'd say problem-solving, correct use of statistics, and thinking outside the square are not part of the Thai education system.