How Many Expats Have a Masters Degree and/or PhD (they are not using)

Pilotman

31 minutes ago, doctormann said:

First degree in Applied Physics, more than 50 years ago.

Varied scientific career, ending up in Nuclear Reprocessing - you don't need to ask where!

Took early retirement and went back to university to do a PhD in Nuclear Instrumentation Engineering - just because i wanted to - and I was getting sponsored as well so there was money in it.

No use to anyone now - far too old and brain has gone soft.

i was offered a university teaching post when I first came to Thailand but, frankly, it was just too much hassle so I never took it up.

your 'soft brain', which I am sure is not true, is probably better that 99% of the available 'talent' in Thailand right now. 

• Like 1

We all look to maybe trying teaching, but  a higher degree and experience mean that such qualified expats could make a much more effective contribution than just teaching English, or even within our speciality. Our use does not need to begin and end with teaching. Consultancy is obviously one area, mentoring, leading teams, pier reviews, supervision, one of stand alone projects; all should be possible, but aren't, not if you want to keep within the visa regulations.  

I'm retired here, so my construction & roofing expertise is also, although I try help here on TV.

My awarded fellowship which took some 10 years gave me letters after my name and is regarded as a PHD in Asia but not in Europe.

I have try to help Thais to taking pride in the building finishing work to no avail the only one in 15 years was a Thai carpenter but he didn't need help his work was faultless so there are Thai persons about excellent at their work.

As for Thai pilots, engineering etc etc I would guess their trained in the west as I found many architects are. 

• Like 2

Law degree. Spent 10 years practicing law (Trial lawyer for a boutique firm). Retired at 37 and started traveling. At 50 came to Thailand and met my wife......been here since (16 years). Don't believe my law degree translates well into a career in Thailand...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It's a real shame.  Obviously it doesn't apply to everyone, but there must be many expats here that have superior education and work experience to average Thais and are a completely wasted resource.

The problem is that many expats are too lazy to learn the language of their adopted country. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Why? It was a lot of money in 1990.

I was figuring it was a long time ago, in 2013, before the current downturn, the most mediocre of drilling engineers was making 30k THB a day. Now everyone is unemployed and would be content to make 10k a day - swings and roundabouts!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Bit off topic, but Thai civil pilots and ATC Controllers, are fine, well qualified and competent.  Not so much with the Military pilots, who, if memory serves me right, were competent at the mechanics of flying , but not good at fighting the aircraft they were flying.  I mixed with them at "Red Flag" in the US, circa 1980s. They were taken out early, on every exercise they were involved in.  Their formation flying was atrocious, same with their ultra  low flying, which was a pre requisite for survival in Red Flag.  As far as I know, they never participated again.  That may have changed of course, its a long time ago.  

Yeah well when it comes to military, Thais as I see it only play amateur a friend of mine who came here from UK to train army said it was like a joke.

I guess Thai airways must have good

pilots to watch the the auto systems. ???? ????

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

I would love to be able to help out teaching English, as I know that the local English teacher in my village is useless. I don't care too much about the salary as I don't have much in the way of outgoings, but obviously the red tape is horrendous.

A little bit of pocket money, a chance to meet some new people and improve my Thai whilst hopefully making a significant improvement to the school's English lessons. Everyone wins, but it's just a nightmare to do and stay 100% above board (no way would I risk working without everything in place).

You will care about the money when you realize how low it is.  Let's just say you could eat your entire salary at lunch.  White people get paid ten times more for the same job plus a bunch of bonuses.  Filipinos at the bottom.  Blacks not considered.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why would I want to help Thais?

Maybe get some benefit to your self! Like money, if you don't need that maybe something else.

Me Master of Engineering. But always have done construction-, sales job. Most whit my own company.

I have two Masters that I don't use, Master of Technology Management and an MBA. On a Married extension so technically I could work but it would involve a move to Bangkok and wear a suit etc, defeats the whole reason I moved here in the first place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The problem is that many expats are too lazy to learn the language of their adopted country. 

I would have thought the real problem was that Thais have not only a pretty poor grasp of English, but no real appreciation for how useful it is as a lingua franca.  It's pretty much the language of academia, science, technology, business, even entertainment.

If Thais accepted the importance of English to engage with the world and made a real effort to learn it, they would not only be able to better take advantage of all the free information available in their country and world-wide, but also be set to engage in business in ASEAN and beyond.

Should expats learn the language of the country they call home?  Of course.  But given the age of expats vs. the age of students, combined with the ease of learning English compared with learning Thai, it seems pretty obvious which is the more practical.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I'm too lazy to get out of bed in the morning.

According to the stamp in my passport Thailand isn't my adopted country, I'm just here for 90 days.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, johnray said:

White people get paid ten times more for the same job plus a bunch of bonuses.  Filipinos at the bottom.  Blacks not considered.

Bit of an exaggeration. I know Filipinos that get the same as Whiteys in schools, but it is very low, and the same as it was 15 years ago. I worked at a university with one Filipino and an Indian 15 years ago, which was unusual - the India had an influential husband who owned a local factory.

My kids have black African teachers and I can hardly understand them, but good to see they are getting jobs, whether it is to save money or racism is decreasing. When I started work here in the mid 90s, I knew a black man from England(spoke like Trevor McDonought) who was hired remotely by ECC. He was taken around 20 branches in Bangkok and not one would take him on. He got a job on radio.  

Yes I have two in management (one a standard MSc and other a research MA). Never used them here as I am retired. Also did a respected TEFL (yes, a real one) as a back-up but I really didn't like teaching and the money is dire here.

Edited by BobBKK