BANGKOK
Pilotman

How Many Expats Have a Masters Degree and/or PhD (they are not using)

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

I would love to be able to help out teaching English, as I know that the local English teacher in my village is useless. I don't care too much about the salary as I don't have much in the way of outgoings, but obviously the red tape is horrendous.

A little bit of pocket money, a chance to meet some new people and improve my Thai whilst hopefully making a significant improvement to the school's English lessons. Everyone wins, but it's just a nightmare to do and stay 100% above board (no way would I risk working without everything in place).

You will care about the money when you realize how low it is.  Let's just say you could eat your entire salary at lunch.  White people get paid ten times more for the same job plus a bunch of bonuses.  Filipinos at the bottom.  Blacks not considered.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why would I want to help Thais?

Maybe get some benefit to your self! Like money, if you don't need that maybe something else.

Me Master of Engineering. But always have done construction-, sales job. Most whit my own company.

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

and that they are not using here.

One would think they are used everyday. Even, if only for the sake of not posting BS on ThaiVisa?

I have two Masters that I don't use, Master of Technology Management and an MBA. On a Married extension so technically I could work but it would involve a move to Bangkok and wear a suit etc, defeats the whole reason I moved here in the first place.

• Like 1

CompSci and Math, could easily use it here but can't be bothered with work permit nonsense.

So i just go to singapore and dubai for business and my money stays there too... up to them i guess...literally their loss. 

PhD in international finance that i never really used...ended up consulting. Surely now my knowledge is outdated and out of practice. Pretty sure it's not useful to anyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The problem is that many expats are too lazy to learn the language of their adopted country. 

I would have thought the real problem was that Thais have not only a pretty poor grasp of English, but no real appreciation for how useful it is as a lingua franca.  It's pretty much the language of academia, science, technology, business, even entertainment.

If Thais accepted the importance of English to engage with the world and made a real effort to learn it, they would not only be able to better take advantage of all the free information available in their country and world-wide, but also be set to engage in business in ASEAN and beyond.

Should expats learn the language of the country they call home?  Of course.  But given the age of expats vs. the age of students, combined with the ease of learning English compared with learning Thai, it seems pretty obvious which is the more practical.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The problem is that many expats are too lazy to learn the language of their adopted country. 

I'm too lazy to get out of bed in the morning.

According to the stamp in my passport Thailand isn't my adopted country, I'm just here for 90 days.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, johnray said:

White people get paid ten times more for the same job plus a bunch of bonuses.  Filipinos at the bottom.  Blacks not considered.

Bit of an exaggeration. I know Filipinos that get the same as Whiteys in schools, but it is very low, and the same as it was 15 years ago. I worked at a university with one Filipino and an Indian 15 years ago, which was unusual - the India had an influential husband who owned a local factory.

My kids have black African teachers and I can hardly understand them, but good to see they are getting jobs, whether it is to save money or racism is decreasing. When I started work here in the mid 90s, I knew a black man from England(spoke like Trevor McDonought) who was hired remotely by ECC. He was taken around 20 branches in Bangkok and not one would take him on. He got a job on radio.  

I would not say that I don't use it. Not like my job has anything to do with what I studied, but what I've learned is useful every day. So overall still very useful. Then again, it's from only 5 years or so ago...

I have an MBA in Marketing from UGA.......taught here for 10 years and loved it.....problem is age......most schools don’t want an old geezer like me.....turned 59 today, June 2! 

Posted (edited)

Yes I have two in management (one a standard MSc and other a research MA). Never used them here as I am retired. Also did a respected TEFL (yes, a real one) as a back-up but I really didn't like teaching and the money is dire here.

Edited by BobBKK