BANGKOK
Pilotman

How Many Expats Have a Masters Degree and/or PhD (they are not using)

37 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Several of my daughter's classmates' parents encourage their children to speak with me to practice their English. The result is they all avoid me like the plague! They say my accent is 'too British" and they're not used to that 

Probably just an excuse. 

My daughters' friends don't want to learn with a 50 year old father. 

Fine with me, I hate teaching teenage kids. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mcl2504 said:

I have 3 masters degrees and have worked in academic publishing for more than 20 years. I can't find a job teaching ESL despite having TESL certificate--not even an interview

Do you have a beard? 

• Haha 1

I have a PhD from UC Berkeley in English, concentrating on the English Renaissance and Shakespeare, and later gained some expertise in modern and contemporary American lit.

I taught 10 years in the midwest, then left academia and hardly looked back. Sometimes I think I would like to try it again, but I'm 80 tho in good health, and I try to travel to Europe all the time: in 5 years I had to do only one 90 day report. And I don't need the money, thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SteveK said:

I would love to be able to help out teaching English, as I know that the local English teacher in my village is useless. I don't care too much about the salary as I don't have much in the way of outgoings, but obviously the red tape is horrendous.

A little bit of pocket money, a chance to meet some new people and improve my Thai whilst hopefully making a significant improvement to the school's English lessons. Everyone wins, but it's just a nightmare to do and stay 100% above board (no way would I risk working without everything in place).

Taught for a local school for a couple for years. Didn't had to do a single thing and everything was taken care for. 

I have a Bachelor from a top 10 Uni in the States.

Degree's matter a lot less these days. I have never been asked for any form of degree and it's completely useless in my line of work. 

IMHO a degree is a waste of money. The key to success is specialization. Pick a craft, stick to it, work hard on it and become a master in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why would I want to help Thais?

Exactly ! These proud people who know nothing and are happy this way do not need help.

I already spend my money for them, it's more than enough.

Ill keep my phd secret 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

These proud people who know nothing and are happy this way do not need help.

We think they know fcek nothing. But in fact they know fcek all.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

it's reciprocal !!!!! because they help you by letting  you enjoy their land/country and their females 555

So, whenever you're on holiday you get the urge to help the locals?

If you holidayed in Cleethorpes would you have the same urge?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Sadly, for any qualified and experienced expat to be able to make a reasonable contribution to Thai society, Thais would have to admit something that they never will...

It's a real shame.  Obviously it doesn't apply to everyone, but there must be many expats here that have superior education and work experience to average Thais and are a completely wasted resource.

An evening or weekend class once a week.  Wouldn't be hard to set up.  Probably a lot of people would volunteer to do it for free.

No is not a shame if you speaking with retired, I personally am retired and I see no reason to end my life in an office with the air conditioner at 20 ° C instead of looking at the beautiful view of girls strayed on the beach and enjoying my life as a retired, the life is too short.

On 6/1/2020 at 1:33 PM, NancyL said:

The guy couldn't write a decent paragraph in Thai, let alone in English.

Grade 1 pass then?

Have an MSc in freshwater biology and water management But i was retired when i came here and was not very interested in working 9-5.

Did toy with the idea of setting up a small consultancy, but the language issue and the bureaucracy here soon ended any further thoughts!

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You are a guest if you want to be, you can be a permanent resident if you want to be. You can even be a citizen if you want.

I chose to be a guest in Thailand, because I understood very soon that it is the best way to live in Thailand as my education never adapts to the Thai mentality and I never claim to be a Thai. I am a tourist for 365 dd

On 6/1/2020 at 1:22 PM, BritManToo said:

Why would I want to help Thais?

Apart from their road behaviour, I have nothing against the Thais, but I certainly have no time for the Thai government.

3 hours ago, alien365 said:

I wish I had been taught the same way. Moving internationally, away from my small town environment in the UK has highlighted how useful a master's would be and how many people have them. I am considering doing one now. One that I could use; hence, my potentially off topic response to this thread.

Its never too ;late.  I was awarded my DBA at the age of 59 

• Thanks 1