Dengue outbreak kills 11, sickens 14,000

webfact

Dengue outbreak kills 11, sickens 14,000

By THE NATION

800_25162f56f40b01a.jpeg?v=1590996080

Eleven people have been killed and more than 14,000 sickened by a nationwide dengue fever outbreak that has been super-charged by the onset of the rainy season.

“From January 1 to May 25 there have been 14,126 cases of dengue fever in Thailand, or 21.28 patients per 100,000 population, and 11 deaths, or 0.02 deaths per 100,000,” said Dr Suwanchai Wattanayingjaroenchai, director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), on Monday (June 1).

“The rainy season, which creates puddles of water that serve as breeding grounds for mosquitos, is the main factor that is boosting the outbreak, especially in the Northeast.”

In Nakhon Ratchasima alone, more than 1,000 residents have been sickened by the fever while two have been killed by the outbreak.

“The DDC is collaborating with Nakhon Ratchasima’s Public Health Office to spray local communities with insecticide in a bid to stem the contagion, as well as urging people to use mosquito nets and rid their properties of any rainwater trapped during the wet season,” added Suwanchai.

The worst-hit province is Rayong, with 73 cases per 100,000 people, followed by Chaiyaphum (58.13), Khon Kaen (53.83), Mae Hong Son (37.87) and Nakhon Ratchasima (36.92). The worst-hit region is the Northeast with 25.67 cases per 100,000 people, followed by the Central Region (22.04), South (18.42) and North (41.14).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388876

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-01

• Sad 1

According to Singapore's National Environment Agency, the mosquitoes that are the main vector for Dengue:

bite primarily during the day, but they can also bite at night in well-lit areas.

The CDC website says:

Mosquitoes that spread dengue, chikungunya, and Zika bite during the day and night.

18 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

4 x Covid cases ???? and no vaccine available !! Maybe they should lockdown the entire country ??

Just a thought....

Beat me to it, was just thinking the same thing. What shall we do now, it’s a pandemic happening all over again only this time a lot worse. Better make everyone wear mosquito spray and not go out during the day!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alien365 said:

There's a Dengue vaccine that costs 3000baht at my local hospital. While I had Dengue  I asked the doctor if I should have it in future and he told me it doesn't work. I respected his honesty.

Apparently only for people between certain age brackets and only if you have already had Dengue !!

In other words, as your doc said, it don't work...

18 hours ago, PJPom said:

Watch out for chikungunya, I had it last year and it was the worst illness I have ever had. Same precautions as Dengue, cover up , clean up surroundings and apply bug spray liberally. 

I've had both Dengue and Chikungunya.  Short term, Dengue was much worse.  I didn't want to do anything for several days, it completely drained me.  But recovery was quick.  The initial joint pain from Chikungunya is extreme a day or two after being bitten.   The joint pain recovery time took over six weeks. 

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Apparently only for people between certain age brackets and only if you have already had Dengue !!

In other words, as your doc said, it don't work...

It's not quite accurate to just say it doesn't work. It's true that it's not recommended for people over a certain age and those who haven't already had Dengue, however.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

is there a dengue vaccine ? is there a malaria vaccine ?

but they sure will try to sell you a covid19 vaccine

Yes, there are vaccines for both malaria and dengue. The malaria vaccine is still only being used in Africa though, and the limits of the dengue vaccine have already been mentioned.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

22 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

4 x Covid cases ???? and no vaccine available !! Maybe they should lockdown the entire country ??

Just a thought....

Yes, because a lockdown will definitely prevent mosquitoes from biting people. ????

Also as mentioned, there is a dengue vaccine - it's just not terribly effective.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:07 PM, cornishcarlos said:

Just a thought....

cornishcarlos 

yes and ban alcohol sales since we know people will just go outside and drink and get bit 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Lockdowns don't seem to prevent people getting Covid either judging by UK results !! 

Think that's because most ignored the rules. And still WHO says no masks.. F. S.  Get real