Rights group demands speedy probe into cop accused of torturing dog

webfact

Rights group demands speedy probe into cop accused of torturing dog

By THE NATION

800_0d38858aed184b7.jpg?v=1590998295

A Chiang Mai animal rights group that accuses a policeman of torturing a dog to death has asked the national police chief to speed up investigation of the case.

Watchdog Thailand (WDT) today (June 1) submitted a petition and documents to police chief Chakthip Chaijinda, demanding justice for a stray dog named Tia it says was strangled to death by a Chiang Mai police officer.

Adopted by Chiang Mai University students, Tia had been dubbed the city’s favourite dog before being found dead a few weeks ago.

The Change.org petition submitted by WDT contained the names of 60,000 people who demanded justice for the beloved canine. Among them was Surin Methanee, a WDT adviser and a professor at the university.

Surin said he feared the dog would not receive justice since the chief suspect in the suspicious death was a policeman. However, Chathip promised the culprit would be dealt with severely even if he was a member of the police force.

WDT had previously filed a police complaint, accusing a police corporal of torturing to death Chiang Mai’s favourite dog.

On May 21, Pol Col Kittipong Petmunee, said that WDT had submitted evidence, including witnesses and surveillance camera footage, which would be evaluated for a week before a decision was made on whether to prosecute the alleged offender.

An autopsy of Tia’s body contradicted testimony from the suspect, prompting WDT to accuse him of animal torture and dumping an animal carcass.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388875

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-01

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/7/2020 at 6:38 AM, Trujillo said:

I can point out two instances of animal cruelty in my neighborhood ongoing every day. No one gives a fig about this. 

I assume this is because it was a police officer. 

Proving it is hard, now there is proof and there is a large group of people who loved this dog. I mean cam evidence and an autopsy. All the evidence is there, but i doubt they will prosecute him as he is a cop.