Jump to content

Using Kasikorn overseas and trying to change the phone number.


Recommended Posts

I realise this has been aired before,  but i had to contact Kasikorn bank to see if i could set up a new phone and set up kasikorn bank on the phone. 

Im in Australia waiting for the return plan. 

My banking is registered with my thai dtac service. 

 

My enquiry was to try and revise it. 

 

Attach from K bank..

May answer some questions. 

May confuse some even more. 


According to your enquiry regarding the matter, if you meant you are in overseas and you would like to use K PLUS, first of all, we would like to inform you that K PLUS cannot be changed mobile phone number to the overseas mobile phone number.

Anyhow, if you did not delete the application and you just change your mobile phone number, the K PLUS can be still used by the favorite transaction only via WIFI. In case you have set the menu “Access all services via Wi-Fi” when you are in Thailand, you can do all transaction via WIFI in overseas after activation date.


Or you can contact your Thai mobile number SIM card company in order to check the signal on your country area for opening the data roaming.

And this process is depended on the Thai mobile number SIM card company process.

Note: K PLUS cannot be installed and re-register in overseas since normally, K PLUS must be used through 3G/4G/EDGE/GPRS of Thai mobile phone number only. K PLUS cannot be connected via the signal in another country.


If it is not work, and if you have K-Cyber Banking service (Internet Browser Login), we do suggest you to use K-Cyber Banking instead.

Normally to make the transaction on K-Cyber Banking service, it must be received SMS OTP in order to approve the transaction, OTP will be sent to the available Thai mobile phone number that is linked with K-Cyber Banking service only, so that if you are in overseas, Thai mobile phone number must be operated data roaming.

Anyhow, if you are inconvenient to receive OTP via SMS, you can also change the SMS OTP to Email OTP in K-Cyber Banking.

 

To change to Email OTP, please kindly contact K-Contact Center at Tel. (66) 2888 8800 and press 3 0 and then press 10 digits of your account number followed by # (24/7 service) in order to change the information with our representative directly. Email OTP is valid until 11:59 PM (Thai time) on the same day you have made the request.

 

After Email OTP is expired, your K-Cyber Banking will switch back to SMS OTP automatically.

 

Please note that to transfer money by using Email OTP to confirm the transaction, this method is available for the accounts that have been added in beneficiary list in K-Cyber Banking only. Further, Email OTP cannot be performed as followings;

 

Add other’s account

Add own account

Add other’s credit card

Create bill payment template

Add foreign account

Apply for K-Web Shopping Card

 

To perform the processes above, you requires Thai mobile phone number to receive SMS OTP to confirm the setting.

Remark: Due to this process cannot be performed through E-mail channel since our bank applies the customer's strict security and confidentiality policy. The customer's personal data must be verified through a phone before providing services.


Anyhow, we would like to inform you that K-Debit Card is also able to withdraw the cash around the world through ATMs showing "PLUS or VISA” sign with fee charge of 100 THB per transaction. And the currency exchange risk fees for 2.5% and also there will be additional fees charged from the bank issue ATM machine that you process.

We are sorry for this inconvenience, your understanding is very much appreciated.

However we would like to thank you for using Kasikornbank products or services.

Should you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact K-Contact Center at Tel. (66) 2888 8800 or email us at [email protected] 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

 

Bottom line is..

computer says no can do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Do you have a question for the forum, or are you just posting a status update while abroad?

 

Are you saying the mobile banking app isn't working/connecting over a local (to you) WiFi connection (as it should since the app is still authenticated previously using the old SIM number)?

 

...and trying to connect to the bank website doesn't work, for {reasons}?

 

Also, I take it that your DTAC sim isn't finding a compatible OptusMobile, Telstra, or Vodafone Australia roaming connection {because didn't initiate a GoTravel package before leaving).  

Edited by RichCor
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, RichCor said:

Do you have a question for the forum, or are you just posting a status update while abroad?

 

Are you saying the mobile banking app isn't working/connecting over a local (to you) WiFi connection (as it should since the app is still authenticated previously using the old SIM number)?

 

...and trying to connect to the bank website doesn't work, for {reasons}?

 

Also, I take it that your DTAC sim isn't finding a compatible OptusMobile, Telstra, or Vodafone Australia roaming connection {because didn't initiate a GoTravel package before leaving).  

Just a status update regarding the issues with being stuck overseas and needing to change the kasikorn bank account to another phone (and number).

Kasikorn is saying that you have to have a Thailand number attached to your account. 

Which i have now.

And working fine. 

I have dtac roaming and overseas access active. 

 

My question was about changing the phone number to an Optus number while in Australia and also using a new phone i have.

 

Response is that you can't have a number other than a thai number. 

And that you cannot install the kasikorn phone banking system to another phone UNLESS you are in Thailand. 

According to Kasikorn bank. 

 

(If someone has a way around this issue by all means please comment)

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

My question was about changing the phone number to an Optus number while in Australia and also using a new phone i have. Response is that you can't have a number other than a thai number.

 

And that you cannot install the kasikorn phone banking system to another phone UNLESS you are in Thailand. According to Kasikorn bank. 

 

(If someone has a way around this issue by all means please comment)

It's possible the Kasikorn Banking App performs an environment security evaluation, checking GPS or Tower IDs or IP Address, that require the device to be physically connected to a in-country network for the initial app authentication. Odd, a my US-based banking apps don't require that.

 

If you still have issues authenticating the app and are receiving SMS while roaming you could try connecting via a Thai-based VPN (and possible turn OFF GPS) and see if that's enough to allow to initialize. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, RichCor said:

It's possible the Kasikorn Banking App performs an environment security evaluation, checking GPS or Tower IDs or IP Address, that require the device to be physically connected to a in-country network for the initial app authentication. Odd, a my US-based banking apps don't require that.

 

If you still have issues authenticating the app and are receiving SMS while roaming you could try connecting via a Thai-based VPN (and possible turn OFF GPS) and see if that's enough to allow to initialize. 

I didn't want to deactivate the old phone and then find i cannot install on the new phone. 

I can use the thai sim in the new phone but chance is that geo location will show I'm not in Thailand and not allow me to reinstall.

 

I did hear previously that its a problem. 

Looks like it still is...

 

I can use my Australia based account on any device and also change the phone number as i wish, using the app.

 

(You can only have the Kasikorn app working on one device it appears)

Edited by dallen52
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does everything have to be done on a phone ?

 

I use online banking from a PC and have International roaming on my phone so that I can receive One Time Passwords since outbound text messages are free from Thai banks

 

Even with online banking I don't think you can change your registered phone number, but since I never have had the need I am not sure

 

But I certainly don't use my phone "app"  as my only lifeline to my bank  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never used K bank but the ones I have used you have to go into a branch in person with proper ID to change your phone number.  It really is good protection.  Keep someone from hacking your account and changing your phone number so you don't see it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 11:55 AM, dallen52 said:

And that you cannot install the kasikorn phone banking system to another phone UNLESS you are in Thailand. 

I am not sure that is correct and maybe something lost in translation?  If you simply took the Thai Sim and put it in the new phone (presuming unlocked) I would have thought it would work however I can understand why you would not want to try that.

Agree with @rwill that if you want to change the number it is good that you have to go to a branch to do. I can see that in some circumstances that may be inconvenient but overall I think the security warrants it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, topt said:

If you simply took the Thai Sim and put it in the new phone (presuming unlocked) I would have thought it would work however I can understand why you would not want to try that.

This particular banking app seems to requires a one-time in-network (CellTower ID?) authenticated login before it will function. He has the app working on the old phone, but just moving the sim to the new phone won't be enough.

 

Too bad there's not a method of moving the app and it's support files over to the new phone. Though, if they're strict on security, the support file would be tied to the phone's IMEI (not the SIM) and reject it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 11:45 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Why does everything have to be done on a phone ?

 

I use online banking from a PC and have International roaming on my phone so that I can receive One Time Passwords since outbound text messages are free from Thai banks

 

Even with online banking I don't think you can change your registered phone number, but since I never have had the need I am not sure

 

But I certainly don't use my phone "app"  as my only lifeline to my bank  

Its another pitfall. 

On line banking has to be set up whilst in Thailand. 

The protocol behind the banking software is set to work only in Thailand. 

I know that other thai banks are more flexible than K bank. 

And whilst sympathetic to my call theres nothing i can do.

Because theres nothing they will do.

Its against policy they say. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, topt said:

I am not sure that is correct and maybe something lost in translation?  If you simply took the Thai Sim and put it in the new phone (presuming unlocked) I would have thought it would work however I can understand why you would not want to try that.

Agree with @rwill that if you want to change the number it is good that you have to go to a branch to do. I can see that in some circumstances that may be inconvenient but overall I think the security warrants it.

It allows the app to install. 

It then says that it has to be set up using the thai sim card and data.

My dtac is set for overseas use. 

What it comes down to is the geo location. 

Plus only having the app work on one device..

 

If it looked like i could get the app to start working on the new phone (it means deactivate on the old phone) I would chance it.

But if it goes belly up, i then have no Kasikorn until I can return to Thailand. 

(Im stranded in Australia until the flights start again, and my partner is in Thailand)

 

What has been suggested is that I run a vpn and change the gps location to imitate Thailand, and set the developer application on the phone to allow gps location change..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

What has been suggested is that I run a vpn and change the gps location to imitate Thailand, and set the developer application on the phone to allow gps location change..

As you mention you have it working anyhow so seems like a bit of a faff to try and change (and possibly fail) for what presumably are not too many transactions........

 

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

This particular banking app

yes sorry keep forgetting it is a separate app.......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's something I'm always concerned about. If my phone breaks or goes missing while being abroad, I wouldn't be able to install the K-Plus app on another phone and re-authenticate it until my return to Thailand. I tend to use it quite a lot and losing it would be a major inconvenience - too bad that they don't have a procedure in place.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caldera said:

That's something I'm always concerned about. If my phone breaks or goes missing while being abroad, I wouldn't be able to install the K-Plus app on another phone and re-authenticate it until my return to Thailand. I tend to use it quite a lot and losing it would be a major inconvenience - too bad that they don't have a procedure in place.

Totally agree. 

I know that other banks have a better level of service.

I actually returned the new phone I bought because of the concern I have with this issue. 

 

I have been told that you can use a VPN and set the country to Thailand and the GPS location too.

Use the thai sim card and get around the geo location security. 

Which means you have to set the phone development options too.

And oh, you have to use data, not wifi.

 

Another way is to have internet Banking services set up on the PC laptop. 

Which also has to be done in Thailand before you go overseas. 

 

It should not be this complicated. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...