Using Kasikorn overseas and trying to change the phone number.

I realise this has been aired before,  but i had to contact Kasikorn bank to see if i could set up a new phone and set up kasikorn bank on the phone. 

Im in Australia waiting for the return plan. 

My banking is registered with my thai dtac service. 

My enquiry was to try and revise it. 

Attach from K bank..

May answer some questions. 

May confuse some even more. 

According to your enquiry regarding the matter, if you meant you are in overseas and you would like to use K PLUS, first of all, we would like to inform you that K PLUS cannot be changed mobile phone number to the overseas mobile phone number.

Anyhow, if you did not delete the application and you just change your mobile phone number, the K PLUS can be still used by the favorite transaction only via WIFI. In case you have set the menu “Access all services via Wi-Fi” when you are in Thailand, you can do all transaction via WIFI in overseas after activation date.

Or you can contact your Thai mobile number SIM card company in order to check the signal on your country area for opening the data roaming.

And this process is depended on the Thai mobile number SIM card company process.

Note: K PLUS cannot be installed and re-register in overseas since normally, K PLUS must be used through 3G/4G/EDGE/GPRS of Thai mobile phone number only. K PLUS cannot be connected via the signal in another country.

If it is not work, and if you have K-Cyber Banking service (Internet Browser Login), we do suggest you to use K-Cyber Banking instead.

Normally to make the transaction on K-Cyber Banking service, it must be received SMS OTP in order to approve the transaction, OTP will be sent to the available Thai mobile phone number that is linked with K-Cyber Banking service only, so that if you are in overseas, Thai mobile phone number must be operated data roaming.

Anyhow, if you are inconvenient to receive OTP via SMS, you can also change the SMS OTP to Email OTP in K-Cyber Banking.

To change to Email OTP, please kindly contact K-Contact Center at Tel. (66) 2888 8800 and press 3 0 and then press 10 digits of your account number followed by # (24/7 service) in order to change the information with our representative directly. Email OTP is valid until 11:59 PM (Thai time) on the same day you have made the request.

After Email OTP is expired, your K-Cyber Banking will switch back to SMS OTP automatically.

Please note that to transfer money by using Email OTP to confirm the transaction, this method is available for the accounts that have been added in beneficiary list in K-Cyber Banking only. Further, Email OTP cannot be performed as followings;

Add other’s account

Add own account

Add other’s credit card

Create bill payment template

Add foreign account

Apply for K-Web Shopping Card

To perform the processes above, you requires Thai mobile phone number to receive SMS OTP to confirm the setting.

Remark: Due to this process cannot be performed through E-mail channel since our bank applies the customer's strict security and confidentiality policy. The customer's personal data must be verified through a phone before providing services.

Anyhow, we would like to inform you that K-Debit Card is also able to withdraw the cash around the world through ATMs showing "PLUS or VISA” sign with fee charge of 100 THB per transaction. And the currency exchange risk fees for 2.5% and also there will be additional fees charged from the bank issue ATM machine that you process.

We are sorry for this inconvenience, your understanding is very much appreciated.

However we would like to thank you for using Kasikornbank products or services.

Should you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact K-Contact Center at Tel. (66) 2888 8800 or email us at [email protected] 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Bottom line is..

computer says no can do. 

Do you have a question for the forum, or are you just posting a status update while abroad?

Are you saying the mobile banking app isn't working/connecting over a local (to you) WiFi connection (as it should since the app is still authenticated previously using the old SIM number)?

...and trying to connect to the bank website doesn't work, for {reasons}?

Also, I take it that your DTAC sim isn't finding a compatible OptusMobile, Telstra, or Vodafone Australia roaming connection {because didn't initiate a GoTravel package before leaving).  

Edited by RichCor
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RichCor said:

Do you have a question for the forum, or are you just posting a status update while abroad?

Are you saying the mobile banking app isn't working/connecting over a local (to you) WiFi connection (as it should since the app is still authenticated previously using the old SIM number)?

Also, I take it that your DTAC sim isn't finding a compatible OptusMobile, Telstra, or Vodafone Australia roaming connection {because didn't initiate a GoTravel package before leaving).  

Just a status update regarding the issues with being stuck overseas and needing to change the kasikorn bank account to another phone (and number).

Kasikorn is saying that you have to have a Thailand number attached to your account. 

Which i have now.

And working fine. 

I have dtac roaming and overseas access active. 

My question was about changing the phone number to an Optus number while in Australia and also using a new phone i have.

Response is that you can't have a number other than a thai number. 

And that you cannot install the kasikorn phone banking system to another phone UNLESS you are in Thailand. 

According to Kasikorn bank. 

(If someone has a way around this issue by all means please comment)

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

My question was about changing the phone number to an Optus number while in Australia and also using a new phone i have. Response is that you can't have a number other than a thai number.

And that you cannot install the kasikorn phone banking system to another phone UNLESS you are in Thailand. According to Kasikorn bank. 

(If someone has a way around this issue by all means please comment)

It's possible the Kasikorn Banking App performs an environment security evaluation, checking GPS or Tower IDs or IP Address, that require the device to be physically connected to a in-country network for the initial app authentication. Odd, a my US-based banking apps don't require that.

If you still have issues authenticating the app and are receiving SMS while roaming you could try connecting via a Thai-based VPN (and possible turn OFF GPS) and see if that's enough to allow to initialize. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RichCor said:

It's possible the Kasikorn Banking App performs an environment security evaluation, checking GPS or Tower IDs or IP Address, that require the device to be physically connected to a in-country network for the initial app authentication. Odd, a my US-based banking apps don't require that.

If you still have issues authenticating the app and are receiving SMS while roaming you could try connecting via a Thai-based VPN (and possible turn OFF GPS) and see if that's enough to allow to initialize. 

I didn't want to deactivate the old phone and then find i cannot install on the new phone. 

I can use the thai sim in the new phone but chance is that geo location will show I'm not in Thailand and not allow me to reinstall.

I did hear previously that its a problem. 

Looks like it still is...

I can use my Australia based account on any device and also change the phone number as i wish, using the app.

(You can only have the Kasikorn app working on one device it appears)

Edited by dallen52

Why does everything have to be done on a phone ?

I use online banking from a PC and have International roaming on my phone so that I can receive One Time Passwords since outbound text messages are free from Thai banks

Even with online banking I don't think you can change your registered phone number, but since I never have had the need I am not sure

But I certainly don't use my phone "app"  as my only lifeline to my bank  

Never used K bank but the ones I have used you have to go into a branch in person with proper ID to change your phone number.  It really is good protection.  Keep someone from hacking your account and changing your phone number so you don't see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2020 at 11:55 AM, dallen52 said:

And that you cannot install the kasikorn phone banking system to another phone UNLESS you are in Thailand. 

I am not sure that is correct and maybe something lost in translation?  If you simply took the Thai Sim and put it in the new phone (presuming unlocked) I would have thought it would work however I can understand why you would not want to try that.

Agree with @rwill that if you want to change the number it is good that you have to go to a branch to do. I can see that in some circumstances that may be inconvenient but overall I think the security warrants it.

1 hour ago, topt said:

If you simply took the Thai Sim and put it in the new phone (presuming unlocked) I would have thought it would work however I can understand why you would not want to try that.

This particular banking app seems to requires a one-time in-network (CellTower ID?) authenticated login before it will function. He has the app working on the old phone, but just moving the sim to the new phone won't be enough.

Too bad there's not a method of moving the app and it's support files over to the new phone. Though, if they're strict on security, the support file would be tied to the phone's IMEI (not the SIM) and reject it. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 11:45 AM, Langsuan Man said:

I use online banking from a PC and have International roaming on my phone so that I can receive One Time Passwords since outbound text messages are free from Thai banks

Even with online banking I don't think you can change your registered phone number, but since I never have had the need I am not sure

Its another pitfall. 

On line banking has to be set up whilst in Thailand. 

The protocol behind the banking software is set to work only in Thailand. 

I know that other thai banks are more flexible than K bank. 

And whilst sympathetic to my call theres nothing i can do.

Because theres nothing they will do.

Its against policy they say. 

2 hours ago, topt said:

I am not sure that is correct and maybe something lost in translation?  If you simply took the Thai Sim and put it in the new phone (presuming unlocked) I would have thought it would work however I can understand why you would not want to try that.

Agree with @rwill that if you want to change the number it is good that you have to go to a branch to do. I can see that in some circumstances that may be inconvenient but overall I think the security warrants it.

It allows the app to install. 

It then says that it has to be set up using the thai sim card and data.

My dtac is set for overseas use. 

What it comes down to is the geo location. 

Plus only having the app work on one device..

If it looked like i could get the app to start working on the new phone (it means deactivate on the old phone) I would chance it.

But if it goes belly up, i then have no Kasikorn until I can return to Thailand. 

(Im stranded in Australia until the flights start again, and my partner is in Thailand)

What has been suggested is that I run a vpn and change the gps location to imitate Thailand, and set the developer application on the phone to allow gps location change..

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

What has been suggested is that I run a vpn and change the gps location to imitate Thailand, and set the developer application on the phone to allow gps location change..

As you mention you have it working anyhow so seems like a bit of a faff to try and change (and possibly fail) for what presumably are not too many transactions........

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

This particular banking app

yes sorry keep forgetting it is a separate app.......

• Like 1

That's something I'm always concerned about. If my phone breaks or goes missing while being abroad, I wouldn't be able to install the K-Plus app on another phone and re-authenticate it until my return to Thailand. I tend to use it quite a lot and losing it would be a major inconvenience - too bad that they don't have a procedure in place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

That's something I'm always concerned about. If my phone breaks or goes missing while being abroad, I wouldn't be able to install the K-Plus app on another phone and re-authenticate it until my return to Thailand. I tend to use it quite a lot and losing it would be a major inconvenience - too bad that they don't have a procedure in place.

Totally agree. 

I know that other banks have a better level of service.

I actually returned the new phone I bought because of the concern I have with this issue. 

I have been told that you can use a VPN and set the country to Thailand and the GPS location too.

Use the thai sim card and get around the geo location security. 

Which means you have to set the phone development options too.

And oh, you have to use data, not wifi.

Another way is to have internet Banking services set up on the PC laptop. 

Which also has to be done in Thailand before you go overseas. 

It should not be this complicated. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 11:45 AM, Langsuan Man said:

For me every transaction has to be authenticated by the password sent to the Thai phone number. 

Its easy enough if you have a multi-sim phone and can turn the Thai sim on when you do banking.

The big trouble will be when guys with pre-paid accounts are out of Thailand for a long period,

therefore not topping up phone credit regularly.

The risk then that they may axe your account when it reaches the expiry date.

I guess you can just keep loading small credit on it, but if your account gets axed while out of the country, you are essentially screwed as far as banking goes. 

Even when you are in Thailand, as a farang, it is near-on impossible to get any sort of banking changes made.

So trying to do anything when out of Thailand?..forget it.

19 hours ago, pookondee said:

The risk then that they may axe your account when it reaches the expiry date.

If you can't remember to top up your phone via online banking with a Thai bank account then suffer the consequences when they "axe" your account

I know when my license expires, when my visa expires, so I also know when my mobile plan expires.  And even overseas I can top it up using either my SCB or Bangkok Bank account. 

DTAC will extend my validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month, and other providers provide similar options, so for 24 Baht per year it's not too much for the peace of mind so my number remains valid 

On 6/1/2020 at 9:02 PM, RichCor said:

I use K Cyber banking abroad.

My mobile post=pay account with AIS is set up for inter. roaming but also set up that total roadming charges cannot exceed zero Baht.

in steps:

- I change my sim card back to AIS simcard and wait until it gives a audio sound to indicate the roaming (as explained above) is active.

- I set up the transfer amount, recipient etc. on my K cyber screen through to the screen with the open OTP code box at the bottom of the screen.

- Usually with in 5 to 10 seconds I get a drop down message from AIS on my mobile with the OTP numbers but it disappears quickly.

- I insert the OTP number on the K Cyber screen and submit.  All done.

- Recipient receives SMS or e.mail advising them funds have come into their account (whatever I have set up earlier).

- Close my K cyber screen.

- Change my sim card back to Australian sim card.

All very easy and when I get my AIS account, most months (if I have used this facility) there is no roaming charge. A couple of times there's been a small roaming charge, 3 Baht or similar.

Very handy. 

• 4 months later...

Probably wasn't explained well. By me.

My s8 plus has a dodgy display and I was looking at replacing the phone rather than pay $289 for a new Amoled screen. 

Half of the screen is pink tinted. 

I was hoping to purchase a new model especially as I'm still stuck in Australia, 7 month later. 

But it basically means that the Kasikorn bank app on the old phone is not possible to re activate on a new phone, unless you are in Thailand. 

I've had several people contact me saying this is also thier problem too.

But its still a risky decision to try to reinstall on a new phone. 

Somebody said they have done it on a new iPhone, but it was complicated and they can't remember what they did..

Still open to suggestions. 

Ok..

I received this from Kasikorn. 

I don't know if it's an out of Thailand solution

If I change my mobile phone or my phone number, what should I do ?

Once you change your mobile phone or phone number, please follow the steps below.

• In case you change your mobile phone but use the same SIM, after you have installed the K PLUS application and logged in to the system for the first time, you will be taken to the device changing step. Enter your account/debit card number, national ID card/passport number and the existing PIN. If the information is correct, you can use the service immediately.
  • In case you change your mobile phone number, you must first cancel the K PLUS which was linked to the old phone number at any K-ATM, or via K-Contact Center by calling 02-888-8888, press 03. Then, register the new version of K PLUS with the new mobile phone number.

• 2 weeks later...

That procedure doesn't work outside of Thailand, I've been back in UK for 18 months and have the same problem.

I changed my phone due to a broken screen , installed the app and thai sim and it doesn't work , it's nothing to do with the having the SIM card it's the geo location which won't change as long as you're abroad , forget the vpn as that changes your internet ip location not your geo location for cell signal.

I have to simply draw money from atm, and if I need to send to anybody in Thailand I then have to send it back to Thailand via transferwise.

It's a ball ache to say the least.

• Sad 1

• 11 months later...
On 10/25/2020 at 2:06 AM, Abs14 said:

That procedure doesn't work outside of Thailand, I've been back in UK for 18 months and have the same problem.

I changed my phone due to a broken screen , installed the app and thai sim and it doesn't work , it's nothing to do with the having the SIM card it's the geo location which won't change as long as you're abroad , forget the vpn as that changes your internet ip location not your geo location for cell signal.

I have to simply draw money from atm, and if I need to send to anybody in Thailand I then have to send it back to Thailand via transferwise.

It's a ball ache to say the least.

Have you tried installing one of the Fake GPS Location apps on Play store and changing location to Thailand before running K-Plus?   That might work and I'd be very interested to hear if it does. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2021 at 8:30 AM, trevoromgh said:

Have you tried installing one of the Fake GPS Location apps on Play store and changing location to Thailand before running K-Plus?   That might work and I'd be very interested to hear if it does. 

Fake GPS works for sure for logging in.

But in almost all Thai Banks , mobile number cannot be changed online or thru call center. 

You have to visit any branch with PP, Bank book to change mobile phone number.