Songkran holidays will rely on number of new infections

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I can't see the point. Kids will be back at school, no tourists. Who exactly will be celebrating it?

it'll be classed as a public holiday so kids will have the day off

I think Thai people will celebrate it, a lot of them had a week's holiday planned but were told to work instead

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I'm fully aware of that. My family and I celebrated it on the correct dates this year. 

Yeah I did the "Songkran" week off work, albeit at 75% pay.

Will gladly have another week off so soon with only using 2 annual leave days.

• Like 2

Schedule it for the middle of the "low" season when most tourist-related businesses (hotels/bars/attractions) complain about the lack of customers every year regardless of other matters (like the virus).

"Rainy" season (roughly May to October) generally coincides with "Low" season, or used to when the majority of the arrivals were from the "West" (where it usually gets warmer at the same time so more people stay home and save their holidays for when it gets cold again).

Schedule "Songkran" for mid-late July or late-July/early Aug. As noted before in other threads, many "Western" countries have their summer school breaks in that same general time frame (except for those "down unders" of course). Easier for people to travel when the kids are out of school.

So you may be able to get a lot of them to take a "family friendly" vacation to an exotic locale where they can have water fights 24/7 for 3-4 days (or 10+ days if they are in Pattaya).
Might help boost those "arrival" numbers during a time that is normally a little slow (or used to be). Plus - there's a good chance it'll be pouring rain then anyways ! (Though that might make trying to have a water fight a bit moot if there's a monsoon at the same time.)

They can still celebrate Songkran as a traditional, one day only, Buddhist holiday on the traditional date (or go back to the every changing date based on the moon). Just like they celebrate all those other Buddhist holidays throughout the year.

13 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

it'll be classed as a public holiday so kids will have the day off

I think Thai people will celebrate it, a lot of them had a week's holiday planned but were told to work instead

Really where did they work

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

So you may be able to get a lot of them to take a "family friendly" vacation to an exotic locale where they can have water fights 24/7 for 3-4 days (or 10+ days if they are in Pattaya).

No chance of any foreign tourists before October.

59 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Schedule it for the middle of the "low" season when most tourist-related businesses (hotels/bars/attractions) complain about the lack of customers every year regardless of other matters (like the virus).

"Rainy" season (roughly May to October) generally coincides with "Low" season, or used to when the majority of the arrivals were from the "West" (where it usually gets warmer at the same time so more people stay home and save their holidays for when it gets cold again).

Schedule "Songkran" for mid-late July or late-July/early Aug. As noted before in other threads, many "Western" countries have their summer school breaks in that same general time frame (except for those "down unders" of course). Easier for people to travel when the kids are out of school.

Might help boost those "arrival" numbers during a time that is normally a little slow (or used to be). Plus - there's a good chance it'll be pouring rain then anyways ! (Though that might make trying to have a water fight a bit moot if there's a monsoon at the same time.)

They can still celebrate Songkran as a traditional, one day only, Buddhist holiday on the traditional date (or go back to the every changing date based on the moon). Just like they celebrate all those other Buddhist holidays throughout the year.

That;s the equivalent of moving Christmas to July.

12 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Exactly. They need to just leave it for this year. 

The Thai New year is 13, 14 and 15th of April. Its a fixed date. Could you move Christmas to July in the West? Did Easter get moved because it fell within the lockdown?

I did celebrate it on the 15th April. Traditional ceremony on our drive with friends and neighbours, followed by my family and next doors family turning the hospipes on and having a water fight over the garden fence and finishing off with all the kids in the street charging up and down with their super soakers. The whole thing lasted a couple of hours from start to finish. Everyone had great fun and the spirit of songkran fully satisfied. 

Won't be having another songkran, even if the government orders it.

Edited by Phil McCaverty

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Whether the Songkran holidays will be rescheduled in July depends very much on the number of new Covid-19 infections there are now that the third phase of lockdown

Clutching at every available straw... people don't have the money of incentive to party at the moment, they're more worried about where the monies coming from, how to pay school fees or at worst where can they get another job..

and these idiots are talking about having a belated Songkran festival !

Idiots!