BANGKOK
snoop1130

Songkran holidays will rely on number of new infections

For and anti Songkran? Calm down! It is only Taweesin Visanuyothin reminding us how important he, or perhaps the organisation he represents, is.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, madmitch said:

That;s the equivalent of moving Christmas to July.

It's a New Year holiday!

The festival originated with locals collecting water that had been poured over Buddha statues for cleansing. This was then used to bless village elders and family members by trickling it over their shoulders. 

I'm sure this was adhered to in many villages and households at the correct date. It was in mine.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I can't see the point. Kids will be back at school, no tourists. Who exactly will be celebrating it?

They will be celebrating how many Thais can get killed on the roads The Thais will do anything for a day off What is the big deal if they dont have it this year? I think Thailand has enough holidays and most of the Thais did not even miss Songkran

1 minute ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

let's rename it to pandemic HOAX festival

You been listening to Trump again? 555

Time to get my booze supply topped up then lock the gates and turn off the phones.

We like to celebrate minus the blood sucking leaches that come out of the wood work if the gate is open

6 minutes ago, Chassa said:

It's a New Year holiday!

And? Your point is? Its a religious festival with set dates, same as Christmas and Easter.

• Sad 1

Why not celebrate christmas in August while we are at it..........LOL

1 minute ago, Grumpy one said:

Time to get my booze supply topped up then lock the gates and turn off the phones.

We like to celebrate minus the blood sucking leaches that come out of the wood work if the gate is open

Wow! You really are a grumpy one.

As I (clearly) said, the TRADITIONAL Songkran Celebration could STILL be held on the TRADITIONAL dates.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

They can still celebrate Songkran as a traditional, one day only, Buddhist holiday on the traditional date (or go back to the every changing date based on the moon). Just like they celebrate all those other Buddhist holidays throughout the year.

They could arrange the "week long water fight" to a later date. I seriously doubt the tourists would give a rat's [email protected] if that date was in mid April or mid-July. I seriously doubt many Thais would care either.
They'd "play water" for a week pretty much any time of the year given the chance.

So no, it's not at all like "moving Christmas to July". It's more like "make Songkran more like the traditional celebration it used to be again and move the shenanigans to a later date". 
All they have to do is name the new date something catchy and people will buy into it. Any excuse for a party (which is really what the government is looking at I think).

1 minute ago, Kerryd said:

I seriously doubt the tourists would give a rat's [email protected] if that date was in mid April or mid-July. I seriously doubt many Thais would care either.

What tourists?

So many people have already been on an enforced holiday from their jobs for 2 months.  Why in the world would they be thinking about holding MORE holidays???!!!   Let everyone get back to work without all the disruptions Songkran brings.  Just cancel it for this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, newnative said:

Just cancel it for this year.

Or merge it with the annual 31st December / 1st January New Year nonsense. 

• Like 1