Songkran holidays will rely on number of new infections

snoop1130

Despite what some of you think, many people continued to work throughout  the past few months as normal.  I know of many factories, companies and of course all the service workers and essential workers that continued as usual.  Many of them lost their annual leave during that time When Songkran was cancelled.  They are owed those days off.  Just because you’ve been off work for months does not mean that’s true of everyone.

Having a postponed Songkran does not necessarily mean all the water fights in the streets.  It could simply mean giving those employees their annual leave so they can go and visit their families, take a vacation or just simply relax. There are many well-off Thais and expats that could inject much-needed cash by going for a week or so to hotels around the country.

Is there a threat of spreading Covid?  If we are to believe that the only recent new infections have all been repatriations that were immediately quarantined then it should be okay as long as we continue to take precautions.

What is the point of celebrating the new year 3 months after it has started especially when this year there is nothing to celebrate. At least I am used to lockdown so I will just stay indoors while the drunkards throw water.

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Rename it to something else and permanently move to rainy season. Has very little to do with the original idea. 

Renaming it to Wet week might be appropriate. 

The majority of people avoid the water stupidity like the plague. 

The village tradition of returning soil to the wat is far more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

This in my opinion is not very well thought of and borders the line

of idiocy..... 

Many on lockdown since March.. children haven’t attended school

most restrictions will be lifted so everyday life can somewhat get

back in place.. people going to work, children going to school...

Errrrrrr sound of slamming on the brakes.., Lets have a water party

for the next 7 to 10 days.... 

its the usual thinking of Now and thinking very little or not at all of the future.

Looking into the crystal ball heads are being scratched on how do the children met the attendance requirements for moving on to the next grade... use the fudge factor or the magic pen... 

Can’t understand the thinking... or lack of.... this might be the straw that breaks the camels back...

• Like 1

Reminds me of a Lou Reed line " Christmas in July" - just can't recall which track though.  Hardly surprising all given, 555

.........is it Last Great American Whale???

Edited by 19DL86

Give us a break. Don't they think people have had enough time off work already. Can't get a beer anywhere but hey open up for us to throw dirty water over everyone. Retards. Mind you now this has lot has teamed up with [email protected] I mean  TAT expect more of this. Strange how the reply option was turned off on yesterdays thread. They have been a mouthpiece for them for a long time now anyway. May aswell get paid for it

Edited by Knocker33
Misspelled
  • Like 1

"Thailand had postponed the Songkran holidays in April " - I thought it was cancelled? And now, introduce another new holidays in addition to all other newly introduced holidays we observe. Intention is clear as they want local people to spent more money on holidays, however, how can you spent money you do not have?

7 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

The Thai New year is 13, 14 and 15th of April. Its a fixed date. Could you move Christmas to July in the West? Did Easter get moved because it fell within the lockdown?

I did celebrate it on the 15th April. Traditional ceremony on our drive with friends and neighbours, followed by my family and next doors family turning the hospipes on and having a water fight over the garden fence and finishing off with all the kids in the street charging up and down with their super soakers. The whole thing lasted a couple of hours from start to finish. Everyone had great fun and the spirit of songkran fully satisfied. 

Won't be having another songkran, even if the government orders it.

In answer to your second line.  Easter in the UK was postponed to next Good August bank boxing Friday.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I can't see the point. Kids will be back at school, no tourists. Who exactly will be celebrating it?

And no beer in the bars or on the street

21 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

it'll be classed as a public holiday so kids will have the day off

I think Thai people will celebrate it, a lot of them had a week's holiday planned but were told to work instead

Yes, give kids more time off school. Hardly learnt a thing all year, so might as well continue in that vein and send them all straight to university. Splashing water about will do them a world of good, I am sure. 

On 6/1/2020 at 6:21 PM, Phil McCaverty said:

I can't see the point. Kids will be back at school, no tourists. Who exactly will be celebrating it?

And no water in Lake Maprachan, no bars open what's the point New Year is New Year you can't change that

On 6/1/2020 at 6:17 PM, YetAnother said:

o no; we STILL cant escape this yearly 10 day horror

I doubt there will be the usual contingent of crazy farangs throwing water maliciously in Pattaya though!

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I doubt there will be the usual contingent of crazy farangs throwing water maliciously in Pattaya though!

You obviously haven't driven up Sukhumvit Rd in Songkran. Thousands of Thais in pickups with high powered water pistols. Drunken parties at the side of the road with music blaring , running out to throw water on people stuck in a traffic jam. Hardly a farung in sight.

• Like 2