Pleasant Surprise when I Received the Electric Bill

ianezy0

My God, you are all lucky bastards!

I asked my wife to complain why we never got any discounts (house in Mahasarakham province). Our April bill was the usual 3,200 Baht for this time of the year. I always 'joked' we paid some sort of special farang rate because our bill is always high despite not using the air conditioner much.

The PEA office said that we were still on the original construction metre installed when our house was built and that we were still paying at the construction rate (8 Baht per unit versus the normal 4 Baht per unit domestic rate). They estimated that we had overpaid by some 100,000 Baht over the nearly 5 years we have been in the house. They said they would change the metre next day, but nobody has been around to date (1 week later).

• Like 2

Got our last bill (Hua Hin area) which, from the units consumed, would have been around ThB 3500 but final total was around ThB 650. Bills in my Thai wife's name but she has my surname. Tried to work out the discount rational but gave up!

Depending on the type of connection you have (5 or 15 kWh ) affects your bill at the moment.  We have 5 kWh connection to the main house and our electricity for March & April was free, as will May. We have just finished building a small bungalow behind the main house and it has 15kWh connection. We are being charged 4 baht per unit and that bill has to be paid. So I'm guessing the power bills that are giving a discount are 15kWh connections as ALL electric authorities are supposed to be providing free electricty for March, April & May if the connection is 5kWh.

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

My God, you are all lucky bastards!

I asked my wife to complain why we never got any discounts (house in Mahasarakham province). Our April bill was the usual 3,200 Baht for this time of the year. I always 'joked' we paid some sort of special farang rate because our bill is always high despite not using the air conditioner much.

The PEA office said that we were still on the original construction metre installed when our house was built and that we were still paying at the construction rate (8 Baht per unit versus the normal 4 Baht per unit domestic rate). They estimated that we had overpaid by some 100,000 Baht over the nearly 5 years we have been in the house. They said they would change the metre next day, but nobody has been around to date (1 week later).

They don't come around to change the meter, they change it in the PEA office, and they don't refund the overcharges.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Confused 1

I got a huge discount for May at my condo in Jomtien.  A look at the last 5 months of bills shows 252 showing up in January and February (when I am away) and again in May, despite a 544 unit usage that normally would result in a bill close to 2,000 baht.

20200602_164117.jpg

Mine was very low despite a lot of air-con usage, or at least much more than normal. One help was that the water coming out of the fak bua has been so warm that hot showers for the entire family have been off for two months. That must save a bit and I did get a discount of about 500 for whatever.

Rooster

21 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Yes not sure 4MyEgo but here is a copy and I did indeed only pay 182 Baht.

It is probably right, I think part of the billing is based on your February bill, which was very low usage you should get this discount for three months

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Total bill sounds like the discount is 182.72 Baht, or as Steve100 said above, it's an error, sorry to be the one to deliver the bad news, ours went down about 400 baht, but there is 6 of us here and our bill was 1145.00 Baht.

I got a 3% discount last month (around 415 baht) let's see what will happen this month

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got my bill end of April, 2,820 (about average) and it was discounted down to 1,880.

Near enough the same bill and discount end of May. 

The missus contacted the electricity office and they said the discount will continue for 4 months. More beer money

On 6/1/2020 at 7:47 PM, ianezy0 said:

Yes not sure 4MyEgo but here is a copy and I did indeed only pay 182 Baht.

IMG_5365.jpeg

You paid for the same consumption you had in February = 44 units. Then -3% on top of that. One question, do you live in a very small shoebox? How is it possible to consume 44 units = 44 kWh during a month? That's equal to the smallest fridge in the world plus one fan. Same with the rest of your monthly consumptions. Don't you have a TV or air-con like other people? 

1 hour ago, Geordieabroad said:

Got my bill end of April, 2,820 (about average) and it was discounted down to 1,880.

Near enough the same bill and discount end of May. 

The missus contacted the electricity office and they said the discount will continue for 4 months. More beer money

You're paying for the consumption you had in the February bill for 3 months (maybe even 4 months) + 3% off on top of that. 

14 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You paid for the same consumption you had in February = 44 units. Then -3% on top of that. One question, do you live in a very small shoebox? How is it possible to consume 44 units = 44 kWh during a month? That's equal to the smallest fridge in the world plus one fan. Same with the rest of your monthly consumptions. Don't you have a TV or air-con like other people? 

Ha ha.. no it isn't a shoebox. The Condo was empty. I only moved in in April

My bet is that you were not a detective in your former life ????????

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2020 at 7:40 PM, ianezy0 said:

As I remember reading, the government announced a discount for people to help reduce the larger bills with being at home most of the time. They also stated the initial 9 units of water would be free but this must have been for houses because mine was the normal amount.

Sorry, I tried to find the announcement but couldn't find it but I did read it somewhere.

Discount for lecky is 3% buy an ice cream. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

They don't come around to change the meter, they change it in the PEA office, and they don't refund the overcharges.

When i finished building they DID change the meter, i had to pay 10,000 baht before construction and WAS refunded deposit, less usage.

I had my highest ever electric bill in the past years I have been living in this part of Thailand ( south of Khon Kaen ), the reason was very hot weather every day and night with no wind.    I live in a small bungalow style house out of town, 3 other houses including owners and lovely gardens.

My bill was 1,500 baht but it was free.

Nice one electricity company and Thai govt !!!