Are kiwi, avocado, papaya, kumquat, carambola, and kiwano popular fruits in Thailand?

Zagor

Papaya is very popular.  Kumquat is not.  Kiwano is non-existent in Thailand.

Kiwi and (I think) carambola are imported, and are seen in upmarket supermarkets.

Avocados are grown locally (very poor quality) and imported (very expensive - 119 baht/fruit in TOPS recently).  They frequently appear on restaurant menus (e.g. Fuji) so must be quite popular.

6 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Kiwi and (I think) carambola are imported, and are seen in upmarket supermarkets.

Avocados are grown locally (very poor quality) and imported (very expensive - 119 baht/fruit in TOPS recently).  They frequently appear on restaurant menus (e.g. Fuji) so must be quite popular.

Be great if someone could grow a decent avocado, the ones here are too hard. Kiwis are available in Makro, not quite upmarket, maybe mid ????

10 hours ago, Oxx said:

On one website I read that carambola grows in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Brazil. That's why I thought it was popular in Thailand.

Yes, it can grow in Thailand, but that doesn't make it popular.  When unripe it's sometimes used in small cubes as an addition to various types of small wraps to provide acidity.  It also appears in fruit salad in hotel buffets because it looks pretty (and looks far better than it tastes).

25 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Yes, it can grow in Thailand, but that doesn't make it popular.  When unripe it's sometimes used in small cubes as an addition to various types of small wraps to provide acidity.  It also appears in fruit salad in hotel buffets because it looks pretty (and looks far better than it tastes).

Thank you. Is there a list of fruits that Thailand produces and exports? I found some tables, but they were not satisfactory.

I am looking for the position that Thailand occupies in the export of certain fruits and vegetables.

So far, I have researched that Thailand does not export: peach, apple, pear, nectarine, cherry, blueberry, plum, fig, currant, raspberry, strawberry, kiwi, avocado.

Thailand 's position according to the world rankings: pineapple - 4, mango - 3, papaya - 12, banana 28, grapefruit - 8, lemon - 19, watermelon - 44, grapes - 51.

Further search results for: muskmelon, lime, orange, cranberry, pomegranate, clementine, blackberry, mandarin, kiwano, carambola, kumquat, pomelo.

I would ask anyone who wants to help to leave links showing export results for their fruit in particular. Thank you.

39 minutes ago, Zagor said:

So far, I have researched that Thailand does not export: peach, apple, pear, nectarine, cherry, blueberry, plum, fig, currant, raspberry, strawberry, kiwi, avocado.

Have you researched why LOS doesn't export the aforementioned fruits?

1 minute ago, torturedsole said:

Have you researched why LOS doesn't export the aforementioned fruits?

Maybe because it doesn't grow or grows in very small quantities and that's why it's not on the world list.

3 hours ago, Zagor said:

Thailand 's position according to the world rankings: pineapple - 4, mango - 3, papaya - 12, banana 28, grapefruit - 8, lemon - 19, watermelon - 44, grapes - 51.

I don't know where you got those rankings, but they're highly suspect.  I've never even seen a grapefruit in Thailand, and the only lemons here are imported.

You also appear to be overlooking some of Thailand's most exported fruit:  durian, mangosteen, longan.

Anyway, this link might help you:  http://ap.fftc.agnet.org/ap_db.php?id=818

9 hours ago, Oxx said:

I don't know where you got those rankings, but they're highly suspect.  I've never even seen a grapefruit in Thailand, and the only lemons here are imported.

You also appear to be overlooking some of Thailand's most exported fruit:  durian, mangosteen, longan.

https://www.atlasbig.com/en-us/countries-grapefruit-production

On this list Thailand is on 8th place.

Thank you for link. ????

9 hours ago, Oxx said:

I think the production numbers and export numbers are causing confusion.

30 minutes ago, Zagor said:

https://www.atlasbig.com/en-us/countries-grapefruit-production

On this list Thailand is on 8th place.

That reference comes without any citation and, apparently, has been pulled out of someone's rear end.  It's worthless.  There is no commercial grapefruit production in Thailand.  It's probably confusing grapefruit with sômˑoo (pomelo in English) - a totally different fruit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

That reference comes without any citation and, apparently, has been pulled out of someone's rear end.  It's worthless.  There is no commercial grapefruit production in Thailand.  It's probably confusing grapefruit with sômˑoo (pomelo in English) - a totally different fruit.

Yes, it can be.

When it comes to vegetables: broccoli - 43, cabbage - 27, cucumber - 26, potatoes - 98, garlic - 21, tomato - 76, eggplant - 43, mushrooms - 50, pumpkin - 10, corn - 21, green beans - 5 , rice - 6, shannon - 43, asparagus - 5, peanuts - 48.

Does this list seem okay?

Do you perhaps know which vegetables are popular in Thailand? Rice, asparagus, anything else? Is eggplant popular?

Edited by Zagor