Thailand races to create COVID vaccine, eyes possible medical tourism boost

snoop1130

43 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

Anyone who thinks Thai researchers can make a vaccine for anything must be smoking crack. 

From the Wiki page posted earlier:

"DENVax or TAK-003 is a recombinant chimeric vaccine with DENV1, DENV3, and DENV4 components on a dengue virus type 2 (DENV2) backbone originally developed at Mahidol University in Bangkok and now funded by Inviragen (DENVax) and Takeda (TAK-003)"

(It is in phase 3 trials now and appears to work much better than the only approved one.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, timendres said:

The premise being that I would spend $1,500 on a plane ticket to get a $20 vaccine?

Think many would pay $800---$1,000 to travel to Thailand if had effective/safe vacine and none available in their own country especially if no Covid in Thailand. Heck might evencause some to move here.

23 hours ago, timendres said:

The premise being that I would spend $1,500 on a plane ticket to get a $20 vaccine?

Yes, hurry up before they withdraw the offer. (sounds more like another scam to me) 

23 hours ago, dutchweller said:

When we did a renovation and I had all the building designs for the fit out in mm the "cabinetmaker" I use that term loosely could not work out why my bed base was so out of whack..
He did not understand mm measurements at all and assumed all measurements on the plan was cm.. 
They actually built one base and the dimensions were so insane you would wonder why they continued to a finished product without stopping and asking if something was wrong..

His company was let go from the project...

Professionals......

Pay peanuts you  get monkeys. I work here in the construction sector for 7-8 years in the 90's and believe me there are some fantastic tradesmen to be had, not all but a great number of good ones.

23 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

The best Thai doctors were trained in the West. I do not see much from Thailand in the home grown medical sector.

Having said that, I have had three operations done here, all at Bunrungrad, and the lead doctor in all thre were trained in the USA.

It's 'Bum' not 'Bun' unless you're using US spelling.

I think, i always did it the wrong way: When i needed medication, i went to the nearest pharmacy, or doctor, duh.

Instead, i should have travelled to India for headaches, to China for a course of antibiotics, to America for a wound-plaster, and so forth . . .

On 6/2/2020 at 1:41 AM, bodga said:

Thais  can't  count, theyre No.1 .Unfortunately they forgot the 60 in front of that, witness any shop and your change calculation. Then they don't trust themselves by counting it often 3 times.

I  like to  play along with the stupidity by counting it  out to them 1 2 3 4 twice then watch as they repeat it,  oh  dear.

I asked a metal shop to make me something the other day, what  followed was painful, gave them the sizes in "mm" they hadn't a clue I had to translate it into CM, just painful.

Thais this Thais that with your experiences few Thais.

What about those people in UK who burn the 5g Tower because they believe that Internet tower spread the virus. lol

This is so deadly stupidity that leads people dying like valueless animal in UK.

What a wasteful that you are safe here in Thailand during this pandamic while more than 10 Thai people sadly died from Covid in UK.

Edited by Ratchsima
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2020 at 3:37 PM, nchuckle said:

Unfortunately if you look at their world university rankings and ,more tellingly,their position in the PISA educational tables, you’re going to need a very much bigger brush to cover the stupid category.

But not stupid enough to come up witb herd immunity, burning 5g tower, injecting dettol and alcohol to kill virus , people dying like dropping flies having little chances to admit to hospital. May be tgey want to get rid of thier own farang people who are stupid.

Edited by Ratchsima

On 6/2/2020 at 10:21 AM, dallen52 said:

How many monkeys have contracted covid19?

Seriously though, its commendable but like reinventing the wheel with so much work happening all around the world...

Perhaps the tourists will have to be vaccinated with thai produced vaccines?

Of course , original vaccine will be created somewhere else like many others. But Thailand have to build capacity and technology readiness for new vaccine and once the covid vaccine launch , Thailnd are able to instantly manufacture the vaccine used domestically , no need to import expensive vaccine and wait long queue. 

understand?? you not  smart third class farangsss in here!!!

Edited by Ratchsima
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ratchsima said:

Of course , original vaccine will be created somewhere else like many others. But Thailand have to build capacity and technology readiness for new vaccine and once the covid vaccine launch , Thailnd are able to instantly manufacture the vaccine used domestically , no need to import expensive vaccine and wait long queue. 

Let´s Thailand first develope a real safe, thoroughly tested and working, internationally recognized vaccine, before endulging in wet vaccine-hub dreams, shall we ?

8 hours ago, starfish said:

I think, i always did it the wrong way: When i needed medication, i went to the nearest pharmacy, or doctor, duh.

Instead, i should have travelled to India for headaches, to China for a course of antibiotics, to America for a wound-plaster, and so forth . . .

Rather orthopedics (arthrosis), dentistry (implants), plastic surgery, and stuff like this that is not paid by the NHS. Guess that's what they mean. 

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Maybe they will all be immune and survive the Coronavirus apocalypse?

Planet of the Apes becomes realty, be it Monkeys lol

Don't worry, Anutin and his brains trust are having a slap up lunch and trying to work out if they can inject Sang Som and flog it as a vaccine..... Masks and social distancing ?    Only for the proles...... 

Posts calling attention to the photos identified them as being taken May 20, not long after restaurants were allowed to reopen under strict rules. They had been posted by a restaurant expressing gratitude toward the minister and have since been deleted.

Anutin.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ratchsima said:

But not stupid enough to come up witb herd immunity, burning 5g tower, injecting dettol and alcohol to kill virus , people dying like dropping flies having little chances to admit to hospital. May be tgey want to get rid of thier own farang people who are stupid.

Idiot...... Herd immunity works for all kinds of other diseases as it will with this one, 5G, i can honestly say what you know about 5G could probably be written on a grain of rice, and who said inject Dettol and alcohol to kill the virus........ ?   Stop being Thai and stop telling lies......   Farang people who are stupid ?   If there were no Farangs Mr, Thailand would still be back in the stone ages, just about everything you've got came from Farangs !   And don't forget it.......   

• Like 1

Pretty unbelievable. The whole world is developing a vaccine for the purpose of beating the virus, only Thailand would link the effort they are making to money and tourism.

Life is so cheap in Thailand, not much more you can say really.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 6:50 PM, Ratchsima said:

So when the vaccine is developed eleswhere (which it will be) are Thailand going to continue throwing money and resources at developing one for themselves? Is that what you are saying?

How will they "instantly manufacture" a vaccine that has been developed somewhere else? So when the whole world has ordered the vaccine from somewhere else Thailand are going to tell the Thai people to wait until they have developed their own? 

You not smart, 3rd class Thai person here...

On 6/2/2020 at 3:50 AM, George Aylesham said:

I see the knee jerk Thailand bashers are out in force this morning. We are all in this frightful pandemic together and we can only overcome it if we fight it together - not each other.

Have you told the Thais about that?

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 3:50 AM, George Aylesham said:

I see the knee jerk Thailand bashers are out in force this morning. We are all in this frightful pandemic together and we can only overcome it if we fight it together - not each other.

Have you told the Thais about that?

On 6/2/2020 at 1:25 AM, Don Mega said:

Ahh thats what ive been missing, some good old Thai bashing.

Thailand like all countries has some smart people and some not so smart people, I work with some extremely talented mechanical engineers (Thai) so one should not tar them all with the stupid brush.

I sort of agree, there are of course smart people in Thailand. Anyone who says otherwise is just being silly. 

However in my line of work I travel a lot and Thailand is the only country I have ever worked where a legitimate interview question is "can you read and write". The Thai education system is pretty bad (excluding the International schools of course) and way behind countless other countries, frankly I think for the biggest economy is SE Asia it should be dealing with this now. It should have a much better quality of state education going forward if it doesn't want to fall behind.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:43 AM, natway09 said:

Metal workshops work in MM not CM. What are you talking about ?

MM are CM aren't they? 10mm is 1 cm,,, thats the basics of the metric system. Are you from the USA?