BANGKOK
snoop1130

Thailand races to create COVID vaccine, eyes possible medical tourism boost

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, spermwhale said:

Anyone who thinks Thai researchers can make a vaccine for anything must be smoking crack. 

From the Wiki page posted earlier:

"DENVax or TAK-003 is a recombinant chimeric vaccine with DENV1, DENV3, and DENV4 components on a dengue virus type 2 (DENV2) backbone originally developed at Mahidol University in Bangkok and now funded by Inviragen (DENVax) and Takeda (TAK-003)"

(It is in phase 3 trials now and appears to work much better than the only approved one.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, timendres said:

The premise being that I would spend $1,500 on a plane ticket to get a $20 vaccine?

Think many would pay $800---$1,000 to travel to Thailand if had effective/safe vacine and none available in their own country especially if no Covid in Thailand. Heck might evencause some to move here.

Haha, when i read the headline i was immedietly interested, i thought the article was about eye correction surgery!!!

23 hours ago, timendres said:

The premise being that I would spend $1,500 on a plane ticket to get a $20 vaccine?

Yes, hurry up before they withdraw the offer. (sounds more like another scam to me) 

Some conspiracy posts and the replies have been removed.

Some troll posts and replies have been removed. 

23 hours ago, dutchweller said:

When we did a renovation and I had all the building designs for the fit out in mm the "cabinetmaker" I use that term loosely could not work out why my bed base was so out of whack..
He did not understand mm measurements at all and assumed all measurements on the plan was cm.. 
They actually built one base and the dimensions were so insane you would wonder why they continued to a finished product without stopping and asking if something was wrong..

His company was let go from the project...

Professionals......

Pay peanuts you  get monkeys. I work here in the construction sector for 7-8 years in the 90's and believe me there are some fantastic tradesmen to be had, not all but a great number of good ones.

So the plan is to invent the vaccine and not share it with the world and everyone will come to LOS for the vaccine and then party on.

They so smat

To bad the government isn't racing to reduce roadway deaths, to end corruption, nepotism and cronyism.

Working with the government, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

23 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

The best Thai doctors were trained in the West. I do not see much from Thailand in the home grown medical sector.

Having said that, I have had three operations done here, all at Bunrungrad, and the lead doctor in all thre were trained in the USA.

It's 'Bum' not 'Bun' unless you're using US spelling.

I think, i always did it the wrong way: When i needed medication, i went to the nearest pharmacy, or doctor, duh.

Instead, i should have travelled to India for headaches, to China for a course of antibiotics, to America for a wound-plaster, and so forth . . .

Posted (edited)

Has Thailand ever managed to create anything?

Apart from the 'happy ending' massage.

Edited by BritManToo

On 6/2/2020 at 4:27 PM, Jiggo said:

Feel sorry for the monkeys they are using for the tests what a waste, and with a unsuccesfull outcome I would suspect.

Maybe they will all be immune and survive the Coronavirus apocalypse?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 1:41 AM, bodga said:

Thais  can't  count, theyre No.1 .Unfortunately they forgot the 60 in front of that, witness any shop and your change calculation. Then they don't trust themselves by counting it often 3 times.

I  like to  play along with the stupidity by counting it  out to them 1 2 3 4 twice then watch as they repeat it,  oh  dear.

I asked a metal shop to make me something the other day, what  followed was painful, gave them the sizes in "mm" they hadn't a clue I had to translate it into CM, just painful.

Thais this Thais that with your experiences few Thais.

What about those people in UK who burn the 5g Tower because they believe that Internet tower spread the virus. lol

This is so deadly stupidity that leads people dying like valueless animal in UK.

What a wasteful that you are safe here in Thailand during this pandamic while more than 10 Thai people sadly died from Covid in UK.

Edited by Ratchsima
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 3:37 PM, nchuckle said:

Unfortunately if you look at their world university rankings and ,more tellingly,their position in the PISA educational tables, you’re going to need a very much bigger brush to cover the stupid category.

But not stupid enough to come up witb herd immunity, burning 5g tower, injecting dettol and alcohol to kill virus , people dying like dropping flies having little chances to admit to hospital. May be tgey want to get rid of thier own farang people who are stupid.

Edited by Ratchsima