Thai Consulates are still closed - plans to re-open this year?

It seems the thai embassies and consulates are still closed for the walk-in service throughout the world.

Are there any news on the conditions for them to re-open sometime later this year?

The life is getting back to pretty much normal in many countries by now, but there is no sign of the thai embassies and consulates coming back.

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2020 at 6:28 AM, ubonjoe said:

They open when any lockdowns in the country they are located in ends. Some may be open now.

It is not a worldwide order by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for them to close.

Many are still issuing visas by mail now.

The problem is...in order to fly to Thailand you need to go to the consulate in the country that you are residing in order to show the embassy or consulate that you have your insurance etc and get a permission to enter the kingdom certification, regardless of whether you need a new visa or have one.

For me,I've stopped work and I'm heading to the (UK) where I think I might have a better chance of having an active Embassy reopening, as the Embassy here is also closed and it is small and I have no idea when or if Thailand will re-open it. There is a very obvious Convid 19 case rate issue in the UK, which will probably mean me not getting back till later in the year anyway now.

24 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

The problem is...in order to fly to Thailand you need to go to the consulate in the country that you are residing in order to show the embassy or consulate that you have your insurance etc and get a permission to enter the kingdom certification, regardless of whether you need a new visa or have one.

Those requirements are only for repatriation flights if you can get on one. No other passenger flights are arriving from now until June 30th. Nobody knows what will be required after that if possible.

I wonder when USA consulate interviews will resume for the K1 visa types?  I feel  there is a day for day backlog being created  without even counting  if there is a lower processing  rate at the Ca service center.  

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No other passenger flights are arriving from now until June 30th. Nobody knows what will be required after that if possible.

Today's news report from the PM doesn't make it sound like any non-work permit arrivals from the West are going to be allowed anytime soon.

• Like 1

I imagine it’s going to be very complicated to get a visa , the health tests and the travel insurance required in the future. Especially if they stop/ put on hold , the free 30 days on arrival , which is valid for many western countries.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, the Thai Embassy in London is open for services by appointment only. It doesn't appear to say whether they're processing COVID-19 doucumentation needed to travel to travel to Thailand. Visas aren't being issued at this time ("suspended until further notice").

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/home

I've emailed the Thai Consulate in Hull re: visas for my wife and I as we will be relocating to BKK for an international school teaching job at the beginning of August. When/If I get a response re: visa issuance and opening in Hull, I'll post back here. No one is picking up the phone there so I presume its still closed for the time being.

Edited by CWA14
Grammar

2 hours ago, geisha said:

Especially if they stop/ put on hold , the free 30 days on arrival , which is valid for many western countries.

I have been plugging this for sometime.

I'm sure that many are thinking that when borders open that they can do border bounce and obtain  visa exempt entry. That plan will go up in smoke if VE are not being provided. Even if still available the 14 day quarantine if imposed would be deal breaker.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Those requirements are only for repatriation flights if you can get on one. No other passenger flights are arriving from now until June 30th. Nobody knows what will be required after that if possible.

That certificate is already mandatory for the next wave of returnees, those being special case foreigners and essential foreigners on Work Permit and those people wont be repatriation flight personnel. As stated on the 28TH May by governmemt media release, the current requirements also will be extended in future. 

25 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

That certificate is already mandatory for the next wave of returnees, those being special case foreigners and essential foreigners on Work Permit and those people wont be repatriation flight personnel. As stated on the 28TH May by governmemt media release, the current requirements also will be extended in future. 

WP and similar can currently apply for travel on repatriation flights with the required paperwork.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:32 AM, Aussieroaming said:

For me,I've stopped work and I'm heading to the (UK) where I think I might have a better chance of having an active Embassy reopening,

Why did you think you had a better chance of an active embassy in the worst hit country in Europe - second in the world?

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

But not for visas.

image.png.d0cd67d3323be144b655175532dc7ff6.png

OK to show insurance/get the fit to fly/permission to enter or whatever, which is what I read it as being for.

14 minutes ago, Eibot said:

In other countries they never closed...

Many have running visa services already.

And in many they closed, but acknowledging that you wouldn't have got your unsubtle dig in.

3 minutes ago, treetops said:

OK to show insurance/get the fit to fly/permission to enter or whatever, which is what I read it as being for.

And in many they closed, but acknowledging that you wouldn't have got your unsubtle dig in.

So we're back to square one and my original question; (thanks for the input)

Why did you think you had a better chance of an active embassy in the worst hit country in Europe - second in the world?

1 hour ago, Eibot said:

Because they announced they were opening - and did.

12 minutes ago, treetops said:

12 minutes ago, treetops said:
1 hour ago, Eibot said:

You're not answering the question, but whatever. 

6 minutes ago, Eibot said:

You're not answering the question, but whatever. 

I can't answer for him as to why he thought it, but he was proved correct.  Maybe allegedly being "the worst hit country in Europe - second in the world" isn't such a drawback as you perceive.

5 minutes ago, treetops said:

I can't answer for him as to why he thought it, but he was proved correct.  Maybe allegedly being "the worst hit country in Europe - second in the world" isn't such a drawback as you perceive.

Netherlands had never closed their embassies for example. 

UK opening theirs but no visa services.. 

UK will be the last country to be allowed into Thailand due to the numbers (Thai News)

Hence my question what his train of thought was. 

BTW - No he wasn't correct. But that's ok.

Hence my question what his train of thought was.

Maybe to avoid the type of petty mindedness you've brought to this thread?

BTW - No he wasn't correct. But that's ok.

I think we have already seen what has actually happened with the embassy opening earlier this week.

On 6/3/2020 at 4:02 AM, ubonjoe said:

Thai airways are cancelling all flights for July so I would guess it is a good bet they are going to extend the closure of the airports

3 hours ago, johnch99 said:

Thai airways are cancelling all flights for July so I would guess it is a good bet they are going to extend the closure of the airports

That is one possible inference. More likely, in my view, they anticipate that the limitations on those allowed to enter Thailand will ensure that there would be few passengers for any flights that they were to schedule. Some airlines will consider it worthwhile to have long haul flights that stop in Thailand on their way to other, more attractive, destinations (depending on any conditions imposed on those only transferring in Thai airports). I can well believe that there would be few possible profitable routes for Thai Airways whose flights would invariably originate or terminate in Thailand.

Hopefully when neighbour countries borders are open, they can distinguish between people with foreign passports who havent travelled from Europe, etc. If international flights are still banned in those countries and Thailand, it would be impossible to come from there.