Battery Chargers In Thailand

Hi, I live in Phichit province and I have an old Absaar battery charger, looks like this, that's packed up.    Absaar battery charger, 12/24v -30 amp with 250 ampere starter boost

It's now time to buy a new one. I need some advice as to what is available and any opinions on LED displays  vs  standard amp meter.

Lazada has a lot of Chinese units labelled in English & Chinese for the Thai market??? 

I don't need to use it often and am wondering if there's anything half decent for between B1000 to B1500, or is that wasting money?

Any comments appreciated. 

rc

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Any comments appreciated.

Mine in Muang Kao lecky shop cost me 350 baht it's a Thai one does wet or dry batteries, the green light goes off when the batteries charged.

15 hours ago, JAS21 said:

CTEK 5.0 and you can't go wrong.  Can do both car and motor cycle, regular and AGM batteries. Very simple to use. You can leave it connected all the time and it will 'top up' as and when .... google it... I have had mine for many years and rotate around the cars.

are they officially sold in Thailand at correct price ?

12 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

My appreciation to all who replied. I am actually looking for a car battery 12v charger in the B1000 to B1500 range,not for any other kind of batteries.

I bought a "no name" Made in Thailand charger (can't find the picture).

6/12/24 V, up to 20 A. Max current selector and an amp-meter.

Cost 1400 and does the job.

Where?

I went to the district town and looked around at the usual hardware shops (mom&pop type).

There is plenty of such devices available.

This is an example picture from the net. Typical "tinplate box" design.

charger.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2020 at 3:45 PM, JAS21 said:

CTEK 5.0 and you can't go wrong.  Can do both car and motor cycle, regular and AGM batteries. Very simple to use. You can leave it connected all the time and it will 'top up' as and when .... google it... I have had mine for many years and rotate around the cars.

Yes I have one of these in the UK, brilliant units. You just need to check the maximum capacity battery it is suited for. 110Ah is the maximum for this charger it seems. My 3.0 petrol engined car has a 95Ah battery, a big diesel probably has a bigger battery.

https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/mxs-5-0-uk

Edited by Tuvoc

If you want to understand a little more about battery Charging have a  look at the Battery University site. TBH buying any product that says on it's box 'Genuine Goods' would maybe make me think a little. 

But as you guys above say, buying a cheaper product seems to have worked out ok. 

For interest ...Mercedes sell what 'very much looks like a CTEK 5.0' !! for a much inflated price ...as do Ferrari for a massively inflated price, but they have painted it red ...   CTEK  showed me pictures of both Merc and Ferrari chargers at a past Motor Show when I was 'picking their brains' about battery charging. On some modern cars you have to be a little bit careful about the max voltage that you apply to their very expensive electronics ... 

Also what are called 'supercars' ...many have the 5.0 actually built into the car so it just need plugging in when you get home.

Though someone may be interested …….

• Like 1

One other product to consider is portable hand carried gas generators often have a 12V DC output that can be used to charge car batteries. This can be handy if you need a charge in a hard to access area with no power source nearby.  And the generator can double as a backup generator for your house during power outages. One product does both functions.

hg.jpg.c0314b189fa866d06b3768d6703b5f2a.jpg

• Like 1