Blood sugar dropping - something to worry about

kiwiaussie

Occasionally- maybe 3 or 4 times a year, my blood sugar levels will drop without warning.  I’ll start sweating and shaking quite badly so will try and load up with something sweet till it passes. 

There is no rhyme or reason I can figure. I might have had a bowl of porridge for instance and the next thing I know it’s happening. 

Ive been intermittent fasting 16/8 for a few weeks now. I had some pancakes and marmalade this morning and some fish for lunch and about 30 mins after lunch I was hit. 

I’m not totally stressed about it, but am starting to be concerned. After today’s episode I was wiped out for the rest of the afternoon which hasn’t happened before. 

I had an annual health check this past weekend which came back fine and I run 3-4 times a week (20-30km all up).

any ideas people may have would be welcome. Is this a sign of pre diabetes or something?

This isn't something that can be diagnosed on a webboard.  There are lots of possibilities including adrenal glands, pituitary glands, pancreas, liver.  You really need to see a doctor.

After you've seen a doctor you might consider switching to a low carb diet (e.g. Atkins), which you can combine with IF.  Such a diet typically helps stabilise blood sugar levels.

• Like 2

Pancakes and marmalade is more likely to increase your blood sugar. Fish would have minimal effect on blood sugar.

I would either get your fasting blood sugar and/or HbA1c glucose tested if you haven't already, if you suspect diabetes.

Buy a meter and test strips and keep a record of your levels over a few weeks.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

How do you know yout blood sugar has dropped? Have you tested it during these episodes or are you assuming that is the cause?

I’m assuming - but it makes sense physically (even before I consult doctor google ????

As said eating something sweet stops it in its tracks. The symptoms appear to line up with standard examples of blood sugar dropping. 

• Confused 1