Bt30 billion earmarked for rubber price guarantee

webfact

Bt30 billion earmarked for rubber price guarantee

By THE NATION

800_648fe8efcea167f.jpg?v=1591020629

In a meeting chaired by the prime minister, the Rubber Authority of Thailand (RAOT) agreed to launch the second phase of rubber price guarantee scheme, which will be limited to Bt30 billion.

Praphan Boonyakiat, chairman of RAOT, said his agency had initially proposed a limit of Bt43 billion, but only Bt30 billion was approved. He added that these funds will be distributed widely, with growers getting 40 per cent and tappers 60 per cent, as they did in the first phase.

In the second phase, the price of rubber will be guaranteed at Bt60 per kilogram at least for six months from July to November.

The scheme will be proposed to the Cabinet at its next meeting on June 9.

The first phase of this price-guarantee scheme was launched in 2019, with Bt24.278 million spent on more than 1.7 million tappers and rubber growers.

Full story: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388896

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-02

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

So subsidising the industry at the taxpayers expense... let the market dictate the value and farmers have to deal with it!

You may have different opinion if you have rubber farm lol

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

That's a bit like saying Thai airways is okay to continue making a loss on paper but keep operating with government subsidies?

In the end if it's not turning a profit due to world market value then the model is wrong, get productive or get out of the business.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

My wife runs a small noodle shop but she doesn't get any government subsidies at the taxpayers expense. Why not?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, billd766 said:

My wife runs a small noodle shop but she doesn't get any government subsidies at the taxpayers expense. Why not?

Ask from Prayut.... i don't make desitions! So you really tell me if your wife get coverment money, you not take it! If my wife get douple or even more from her rubber farm , should say NO we don't want that?

And do you know reason why they want more rubber? Reason also why they want support rubber farms!

And i can tell you also, little more hard work than sell noodles! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Ask from Prayut.... i don't make desitions! So you really tell me if your wife get coverment money, you not take it! If my wife get douple or even more from her rubber farm , should say NO we don't want that?

And do you know reason why they want more rubber? Reason also why they want support rubber farms!

And i can tell you also, little more hard work than sell noodles! 

You really ought to develop a sense of humour.

Either that or my sarcasm mode is getting better.

BTW did anyone force your wife into becoming a rubber planter?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Actualy she is not farmer! 7 years ago get land whit 150000 bth! Now that land also have Chanote. 13,5 rai. Just get little while ago Chanote not her name coz she can't own ! If you don't know why im not explain to you! Coz some things  here many really don't understand!

Was already young rubber tree so i only think she really smart! 

Humor is how you want take it! Like some Trump supporters can't take any humor about him!

Edited by 2 is 1

guarantead ...for at least six months,from july to november. Is that six months? Could be four,could be five,depending how you interpret "to" november.Hardly six. Guess that there were no calculater handy....

It seems like nearly everything grown here needs to be subsidised,

and with every payment awarded there will be leakage,thats a given.

money flying out of the treasury,for all kinds of schemes.

regards worgeordie

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

But your wife didn't follow government recommendation to plant noodle trees 10-15 years ago.  Only to find out that all those government programs saturated the noodle market.  Oops. 

Good thing for your wife, she can change to selling sliced pineapple overnight, and not lose out on the 10 years of nurturing her noodle trees.  Rubber farmers are pretty well locked in.  If they burn down their rubber trees and plant marijuana, it'd take decades to get rubber production back if the prices rebound.  And collapse the weed prices in a year or two.

The point being that rubber farmers did exactly what the government encouraged them to do.  If someone is stuck with the problem, it should be the same government.  But they're not around.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, impulse said:

But your wife didn't follow government recommendation to plant noodle trees 10-15 years ago.  Only to find out that all those government programs saturated the noodle market.  Oops. 

Good thing for your wife, she can change to selling sliced pineapple overnight, and not lose out on the 10 years of nurturing her noodle trees.  Rubber farmers are pretty well locked in.  If they burn down their rubber trees and plant marijuana, it'd take decades to get rubber production back if the prices rebound.  And collapse the weed prices in a year or two.

The point being that rubber farmers did exactly what the government encouraged them to do.  If someone is stuck with the problem, it should be the same government.  But they're not around.

I always thought that noodles grew on bushes in the same way that spaghetti grows on trees in Italy.

It must be true as it was on the BBC News a few years ago.

• Haha 2

On 6/2/2020 at 5:22 PM, billd766 said:

Mr Thaksin encouraged farmers to grow rubber.  His government offered a grant so that farmers could get young trees cheaper.  That is why so many got into the rubber business.  Unfortunately many lost out as apparently many of the trees were of poor stock, dead or dying and of a low yield. Some while ago the government encouraged farmers to cut down their rubber trees and sell the wood.   One word comes to mind.  Shafted! 

On 6/1/2020 at 11:08 PM, Burma Bill said:

Any similarity to Yingluk's rice price guarantee????

Oh No No No No

Are you suggesting that a price support program for rubber, mainly in the South is anything like the rice pledge program introduced by the Satanic Shinawatra's??

Shame on you lol