Cost for metal roof for beef cows

My wife's family in Ubon Ratchathani presently have 9 beef cows (and every year more with calfs). Her father would like to construct a simple shed for the cows which he will build.  He would like to put a sheet metal roof on the structure.  I would think the shed/barn should be large enough for at least 12-15 cows to plan for the future.

I am wondering how many square meters of sheet metal to purchase to house 15-16 cows and how much would one estimate for the cost per square meter for the sheet metal.

Thanks,

Robert

Edited by Rob3016

Depends if you want insulated roof, or just plain metal ? Cows should be able to move also, not only for shed, and it will highly depends on how big space you have. Insulated roof we have cost us 237,- baht pr m2 just the roof. 

You  will need 4-5 square meters  of shed space per cow ,add another 1-2 square meters if calves are at foot with the cows.

This area will also cover feeding area.that is you have say any feed barrier down the front/side of the shed,or  just feed troughs in the middle of the shed.

Tin sheeting is sold per running foot ,it is about 17-20 baht, running foot ,sheets come in sizes  from 4 foot long to 12 foot long ,no need to go to Global house or where ever, just ask locally I have 2 places  just 3 km from me .and I live in a rural area

When you build the shed if you get the hight right ,air flowing in should be enough to keep the cattle cool ,but not so high that rain can make the shed wet ,insulated sheets would be nice but not cheep ,I think ? it would be Sheet-Garn-Kwam-Ronn ,in Thai.  

17 hours ago, kickstart said:

You  will need 4-5 square meters  of shed space per cow ,add another 1-2 square meters if calves are at foot with the cows.

This area will also cover feeding area.that is you have say any feed barrier down the front/side of the shed,or  just feed troughs in the middle of the shed.

Tin sheeting is sold per running foot ,it is about 17-20 baht, running foot ,sheets come in sizes  from 4 foot long to 12 foot long ,no need to go to Global house or where ever, just ask locally I have 2 places  just 3 km from me .and I live in a rural area

When you build the shed if you get the hight right ,air flowing in should be enough to keep the cattle cool ,but not so high that rain can make the shed wet ,insulated sheets would be nice but not cheep ,I think ? it would be Sheet-Garn-Kwam-Ronn ,in Thai.  

It will help alot with the radiation factor, and you also get rolls of these alu bubble plastic in variations of R-factor you can use underneeth, but then you need to built a structure who give nice airflow between the metal sheets, and the insulation. I have also done that outside my family in law, and it changed the whole heating problem to much cooler and nicer place to be. Also better for my car and bikes as people and dogs. 

This is the Sheets we use who have foam And alu underneath, and give some R-protection how much I do not know, but significant different from just metal sheets. 

208EB451-FE83-47B5-9DC5-378D21E466F4.jpeg

6D7B9303-85F2-400E-915F-656B26C372CD.jpeg

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Insulation is Not all the same but the one we got attached to the sheets doesn't help much! Very thin.

IMG20200604120743.jpg

If these is mounted correct, with enough spacing so heated air can travel up and out or at least out from the roof, you will have alot of gain from radiated heat. 

F720DEEC-B508-4E9A-8500-00B5AF316DEB.jpeg

Called in at a place near me they sell steel for houses ,and most building stuff, and insulated sheets, they have two types of sheets, the thick insulated  sheets which is 130 baht per meter, and a thinner insulated sheet at 110 baht a meter.

They come in various lengths longest is  5-6 meters ,this firm like others will do a fitting service , 

How that compares  with Global House etc I would not know.

• 2 weeks later...