Trump vows to end protests; tear gas fired on protesters near White House

webfact

4 minutes ago, jimmyswale said:

America wants healing , unity and an end to senseless division to aggrandise one man and his family.

I see. So to achieve healing and unity you don't consent to having lost the last election, and are still calling for the winner to be overthrown just before the next election. Got it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, bendejo said:

So does this meaning he is resigning as POTUS and handing the country over to this guy?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/01/george-floyd-protests-trump-puts-top-us-military-officer-in-charge.html

What the hell does this mean, the military is being deployed to protect the 2nd Amendment?

A true s__t show in a dumpster fire. 

Personally, I'd rather take it in one dose than have it drag out for years. I'm not a "let it burn" guy, but I don't want all of this to be for nothing either. People are absolutely correct about the broken police system, but everything else is broken too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes and no doubt the next outrage will be even worse. 

He always gets worse.

There is no bottom. 

Jing, you're channeling George Will's column that I quoted above:

There is no such thing as rock bottom. So, assume that the worst is yet to come.

Speaking of the worst being yet to come:

Trump threatens military action to quell protests,

and the law would let him do it

A law called the Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the domestic use of military for law enforcement purposes without specific congressional authorization, said Stephen Vladeck, a professor at the University of Texas Law School. But a different law, the Insurrection Act, provides the president authorization to do so under certain circumstances, he said.

if Trump were to invoke it now, state and local officials likely “would fight tooth and nail to keep federal troops out.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/can-trump-use-military-to-stop-protests-insurrection-act/2020/06/01/c3724380-a46b-11ea-b473-04905b1af82b_story.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, jimmyswale said:

That is the President's job - but he has proved unfit to hold the office at a time of national peril. Since he chose to brandish the Bible in front of the church I would like to remind him of Matthew 7:15-20

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

That's a good argument for burning it all down, because there are no clean actors in this mess. Still, I hope we stop short of that and choose a different path. Leaders are chosen by their parties. The primaries were a sham. Give us two better leaders to choose from.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Jing, you're channeling George Will's column that I quoted above:

Yes. 

I had posted the very same article 

But before anyone accuses me of plagiarism I have posted the same thing many times in the past. 

It's painfully obvious to anyone that has been paying attention. 

So its not surprising that both George Will and I have arrived at the same conclusion. 

Though of course I don't claim to be an intellectual giant at his level. 

• Haha 2