Distancing and masks cut COVID-19 risk, says largest review of evidence

webfact

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

Except they cant' take care of this particular ailment. No treatment. No cure. No vaccine. All they can do is intubate them and watch them die.

Lockdown has not controlled the virus at all, as we saw in the UK.

Sweden had no lock-down. They went for herd immunity. It failed. Please compare their results with the rest of Scandinavia. It may change your mind.

15 hours ago, bodga said:

Tell  the  frikkin  staff in  the  shops that,  am  tired  of  telling them to  bugga  off along with me holding the items at checkout with the barcode for them so they dont touch them and they still keep trying to grab it from me, then the idiots   trying to grab the receipt to check and stamp it, again with their filthy hands even though Im holding it up so they can read it at arms length , all unnecessary handling , they  love me when I go in, in the end they give up trying to touch anything ive bought including the bill on the way out.

Still they do all have  a mask many round their chins and up and down more times than a Thai  hooker, Waste  of time probably transmitted anything all over the place in the course of a  day, thats when they stop  still huddling together for the lack of distancing, farcical.

It seems all the staff know you quite well. I'd start shopping elsewhere.

14 hours ago, johnpetersen said:

Another way you're distorting that info from MIT is by omitting the fact that 8 meter transmission is when a person coughs or sneezes. It's not about ordinary conversation. And given current sensitivity about someone sneezing or coughing in public, it seems unlikely that it's happening much.

Noticing sneezing as you do in these times. I've seen two men in the last few days, sneeze without any effort of covering up. Slightly disturbing.

I found it hard to breath easily with most kinds of masks so I ordered the Purely mask made by Xiaomi. It has 8 hour fan/battery charge. They make good quality electronics such as the POCO F1 phone.

I will be travelling back to Australia soon so I wanted to have a mask I can comfortably wear during the long trip, breath easily and be able to recharge the 8 hour battery on the go using USB cable. It has N95 protection. I bought some for friends and family and we have about 10 left.

If you are interested in getting 1 or more for yourself and anyone who needs them for work, travel etc, please PM me, I have to go back in a couple of weeks. Middle to end of June.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ClaySmc said:

Most of those diseases aren't as infectious as Covid-19, and won't overwhelm the hospital systems, and kill off the medical staff. This lockdown is about one thing, controlling the virus enough so that there's more than one doctor left standing at the end of the day...to take care of those other ailments.

That was the point of "flatten the curve" - but the hospitals never got close to overwhemled here, the models that predicted the problem have been proven false, and we are far past the "curve" in those models anyway - so we can stop this madness now, right? 

Of course, the small % of the population with known risk factors might want to stay isolated - until the rest of us get this and become immune, so the virus will die out ASAP.

15 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Sweden had no lock-down. They went for herd immunity. It failed. Please compare their results with the rest of Scandinavia. It may change your mind.

Were their hospitals overwhelmed?  If not, and assuming the lack of lockdowns is why there is a disparity in the numbers (debatable), they got their deaths on the front-end, instead of later.

19 hours ago, johnpetersen said:

Another way you're distorting that info from MIT is by omitting the fact that 8 meter transmission is when a person coughs or sneezes. It's not about ordinary conversation. And given current sensitivity about someone sneezing or coughing in public, it seems unlikely that it's happening much.

Competely false.

"Bourouiba argued that a “gaseous cloud” that can carry droplets of all sizes is emitted when a person coughs, sneezes or otherwise exhales."

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/health/2020/03/30/coronavirus-social-distancing-mit-researcher-lydia-bourouiba-27-feet/5091526002/?cid=facebook_Statesman_Journal

The heavier droplets which contain more virus particles don't travel that far. So while smaller droplets can travel further, they carry less virus.

“In terms of the fluid regime – how the exhalations are emitted – the key point that we have shown is that there’s a gaseous cloud that carries droplets of all sorts of sizes, not ‘large’ versus ‘small’ or ‘droplets’ versus ‘aerosols,’” she said. 

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/health/2020/03/30/coronavirus-social-distancing-mit-researcher-lydia-bourouiba-27-feet/5091526002/?cid=facebook_Statesman_Journal

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Competely false.

"Bourouiba argued that a “gaseous cloud” that can carry droplets of all sizes is emitted when a person coughs, sneezes or otherwise exhales."

“In terms of the fluid regime – how the exhalations are emitted – the key point that we have shown is that there’s a gaseous cloud that carries droplets of all sorts of sizes, not ‘large’ versus ‘small’ or ‘droplets’ versus ‘aerosols,’” she said. 

It's only completely false if you accept that researcher's extrapolations. You didn't note this very salient comment on the same page:

"If you think about it, if this really traveled very efficiently by air, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Everybody would know it’s true because everybody would be infected. If it was a 27-foot radius that was a high risk to somebody, this would be a totally different conversation. It’s not.”

In other words, real world epidemiological conditions don't bear out the dangers she suggested that exhalations could pose. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 5:47 PM, Logosone said:

Competely false.

Latest: June 12th Reuters News Report.

Masks significantly reduce infection risk, likely preventing thousands of COVID-19 cases -study

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/masks-significantly-reduce-infection-risk-likely-preventing-thousands-of-covid-19-cases-study/ar-BB15pqUv?li=BBnb7Kz

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Latest: June 12th Reuters News Report.

Masks significantly reduce infection risk, likely preventing thousands of COVID-19 cases -study

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/masks-significantly-reduce-infection-risk-likely-preventing-thousands-of-covid-19-cases-study/ar-BB15pqUv?li=BBnb7Kz

It was always obvious that mask would interfere with transmission of the virus. When you cough and sneeze into your mask, it tends to get moist.  Even the scientist quoted by Logosone said she didn't know what the effects of masks would be. Her research had nothing to do with masks at all. And as other researchers pointed out, if her take on how far virus bearing droplets can travel had validity under none laboratory conditions, the transmission rate would have been catastrophic.

Edited by johnpetersen

On 6/2/2020 at 2:57 PM, tribalfusion001 said:

I refuse to participate in this madness, safe hexagons to stand in, what utter BS...

They are there to aid the Beano readers (pictures), you should be thankful....????

On 6/13/2020 at 10:52 AM, johnpetersen said:

It was always obvious that mask would interfere with transmission of the virus. When you cough and sneeze into your mask, it tends to get moist.  Even the scientist quoted by Logosone said she didn't know what the effects of masks would be. Her research had nothing to do with masks at all. And as other researchers pointed out, if her take on how far virus bearing droplets can travel had validity under none laboratory conditions, the transmission rate would have been catastrophic.

Fauci said US government held off promoting face masks because it knew shortages were so bad that even doctors couldn't get enough

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-said-us-govt-held-154828784.html

Fact check: Cloth masks — homemade and not — do offer protection against COVID-19

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fact-check-cloth-masks-homemade-222429633.html

On 6/3/2020 at 5:43 PM, JackThompson said:

Were their hospitals overwhelmed?  If not, and assuming the lack of lockdowns is why there is a disparity in the numbers (debatable), they got their deaths on the front-end, instead of later.

No, not debatable. Their neighbors, Norway, Finland, and Denmark with similar demographics and health systems all had much lower mortality rates than did Sweden.