BANGKOK
webfact

Lockdown easing latest: Calls to open bars and clubs ahead of schools rejected

Is it still illegal for restaurants, hotels etc to serve drinks with one’s meal, that is wine etc..?

1 hour ago, Phil McCaverty said:

The borders aren't really opening on July 1st. The Chinese won't be coming in then.

Well let's wait and see. In Thailand anything is possible, especially with these muppets running the show.

I do tend to agree though that even if they open the borders the influx will be slow.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A public health spokesman said that calls to open up pubs, clubs and discos before schools is being rejected. 

Dr Thanarak Phaliphat said that representations had been made by the entertainment industry to ease lockdown for them by mid-June.

He said that if that were to happen and if it proved to cause a further outbreak then schools would not be able to open as scheduled on July 1st.

His comments indicated where Thailand's priorities lie, notes Thaivisa. 

Presumably Thaivisa was "noting" that Thailand's priorities do lie with the schools?

55 minutes ago, roger101 said:

At least let the restaurants sell wine.

Why, what's so special about wine?

• Like 1

On paper / Officially it's very hard to define the difference between a bar, a pub, a beer bar, an open bar etc etc. Many businesses in Thailand are registered as something different from what they really are. Therefore, it's safer for the government to have a blanket ban. And in my opinion I tend to agree. Also, as some previous posters claim that with so few customers, what's wrong with opening? Well, if a bar has to pay staff etc to open for a few expats, then that might be worse for them than staying closed.

And with so many young Thais off of school and work right now, should they have the temptation of going out drinking? Add to this the irresponsible ones who might waste the household's money on booze and what comes with it, then things will get worse.

Don't get me wrong, I like a drink, and I can't wait until things open up. But I do see their sense in this.

As for booze in restaurants, well I am also looking forward to those days, but if it's allowed, a gang of Somchais will order a few plates of food and then drink for hours.

It's clear that most people on TVF are Farang expats who think that Thailand should revolve around their needs. With no tourists coming in, why would the government want to allow what such a small percentage of people here really want? Yes, the industry needs to open up for the good of the businesses and livelihoods involved, but it's too risky given how people behave when out drinking socially.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1