Jump to content
BANGKOK
PatchinExPat

I need serious info on living in Cambodia or vietnam

Recommended Posts

On 6/8/2020 at 9:53 AM, JCauto said:

Strongly disagree with your third point - the quality and variety of cannabis has improved exponentially as well as its availability.

And while the place is indeed as quiet as a church at night, there is no curfew nor has there been other than during this COVID-19 lockdown.

I wasn't commenting about the quality/availability of drugs.  My comment was about the legality and your risk of being extorted by the police or thrown into prison.  It's high!

 

As for curfew, my comment more precisely refers to Luang Prabang, where a curfew has always been in place for many years since I recall from first working in the town in 2013.  The exception is for people going to the bowling alley.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, simon43 said:

You're having a hard time understanding my point.  It is illegal and your risk of being extorted, fined or imprisoned is high.  Snowflakes and millennials are not exempt from the law of the country, but many  do seem to be bereft of simple common sense.

 

Have you ever seen the inside of a Burmese or Lao prison?  I have, and they are far worst than the Bangkok Hilton  (I worked as a volunteer police officer/Thai translator in Thailand for many years and saw a fair few prisons).

I seem to recall a tale of some British guy some time ago now who went into a Laos jail and never come out. Well he did, but in a box.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cheaper for most things ..... beer 50c-75 a glass.

 

I mean food ?

 

alcohol and booze seem to be the 2 main reasons for people to love in cambodia.

drug also actually !

but don't say to simon73 the champion of the world who is so successful at everything that he knows everything better than us !

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I wasn't commenting about the quality/availability of drugs.  My comment was about the legality and your risk of being extorted by the police or thrown into prison.  It's high!

 

As for curfew, my comment more precisely refers to Luang Prabang, where a curfew has always been in place for many years since I recall from first working in the town in 2013.  The exception is for people going to the bowling alley.

 

yes sure champion ! laos jails are full of people smoking weed !

cannot stop laughing...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, simon43 said:

You're having a hard time understanding my point.  It is illegal and your risk of being extorted, fined or imprisoned is high.  Snowflakes and millennials are not exempt from the law of the country, but many  do seem to be bereft of simple common sense.

 

Have you ever seen the inside of a Burmese or Lao prison?  I have, and they are far worst than the Bangkok Hilton  (I worked as a volunteer police officer/Thai translator in Thailand for many years and saw a fair few prisons).

 

 

Enjoying all the drugs (including alcohol!) available in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia since 20 years... so yes, you can talk to me about what you don't know...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Both Vietnam and Cambodia have excellent western restaurants.

Agree with you. I have had no difficulty finding good quality restaurants/food/service there.

Only ever been as a tourist, to both countries, no long stays but would have no trouble at all with the western restaurants there if I did stay there for an extended stay.

 

One time in Phnom Penh went to an Italian restaurant that would match the best of Thailand. IMO.

Returned there also.

Saigon also found good places to eat and did not find the prices expensive, I thought they were reasonable in fact.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Both Vietnam and Cambodia have excellent western restaurants.

As does Laos. For Western food, Vientiane is superb quality and value.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, simon43 said:

I wasn't commenting about the quality/availability of drugs.  My comment was about the legality and your risk of being extorted by the police or thrown into prison.  It's high!

 

As for curfew, my comment more precisely refers to Luang Prabang, where a curfew has always been in place for many years since I recall from first working in the town in 2013.  The exception is for people going to the bowling alley.

Well, like anywhere, it's a matter of how well you blend in, understand the language, have local connections, etc. And for sure, that's a factor for those who don't have those things or aren't good at developing them. Don't recall curfews in Luang Prabang, perhaps there was during that time though. But dangerous? Only for fools or noobs.

 

I think that there are places that are better suited to people based on their personal preferences and requirements. There are lots of expatriates who enjoy life in Vientiane, as there are those who love the so-called "cesspit" of Phnom Penh, or perhaps Vietnam, Myanmar...it's entirely up to the sort of person one is and what one is looking for. I've lived and worked in all of those places, as well as in Northeast Thailand and Chiang Mai. Have enjoyed them all for different reasons but I'm pretty adaptable. 

For the OP, the best advice is always the same - take off for a month or two and live in whichever of those places sounds best suited to your taste. If it is, then arrange to move there. If it isn't, try another! There are many great places and hidden gems all around the region. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 3:41 PM, buick said:

i know you said vietnam and cambodia, but what about the philippines ?  fort bonafacio area of manila is pretty nice (not like the rest of manila).  all the buildings and streets are new.  they've got a nice outdoor, pedestrian mall area called 'high street'.  can live there w/o a car.  i'm pretty sure they even have an immigration office there.  a friend of mine lives there, i love to visit.  i hate manila but i like fort bonafacio.  i've been to PP in cambo, wouldn't want to live there.   i've spent alot of time in danang and saigon.  danang gets boring fast but i could survive there.  i'd do saigon if you really want vietnam.  but i'd take fort bonafacio over saigon.  alot of english spoken in the philippines.

Bgc is cute for a visit, it grows very stale the longer you stay.

 

the  rents in the fort are sky high, electricity is very expensive the place is sterile and souless. Internet is far inferior to bangkok and twice the price as well.

 

It is like they built a singapore theme park but missed out on things like hawker food and soul.

 

The cost of a grab is extremely expensive. Availaility of regular flag taxis is poor and they are likely to try something on or get you lost. To get out of bgc, makati, a car is needed. You can take a taxi out of the capital, but it is nearly impossible to get a ride back.

 

groceries compared to thailand are very limited. Shops are pretty but stock nothing with any regularity.

 

Rustans, the villa equivalant is very expensive but as in all philipines supermarkets vegetable are dire unless they are organic, and stocking is inconsistent, products come in, sell out never to be seen again.

 

During covid it must be unbearable, I thank god every day I was in thailand before that happened.

 

And if you venture outside the fort you are surrounded by slum.

 

My last stint in the fort was almost 5 years, restraunts and businesses close as fast as they open.

 

The first few times I lived in the fort I thought it charming, by the time I left almost a year ago imfound it dull and depressing.

 

The immigration office at sm aura is very convenient though, almost pleasant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 9:19 AM, FarangULong said:

That's not an issue, as I haven't smoked any weed in quite some time. I wouldn#t mind it on and off (Isn't it legal there or pretty much tolerated anyway?), but it's not a must have thing.

 

Besides it's just one of many prospective states, I'd be interested in. Especially because it's not like on of those Ilhan Omar states. That's another reason, why I want to get away from Europe (and why a state like California, NY, Il or [thx to Ilhan Omar] Mn isn't an option)...

 

I see,

You smoke only oil, right ?

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, n00dle said:

Bgc is cute for a visit, it grows very stale the longer you stay.

 

the  rents in the fort are sky high, electricity is very expensive the place is sterile and souless. Internet is far inferior to bangkok and twice the price as well.

 

It is like they built a singapore theme park but missed out on things like hawker food and soul.

 

The cost of a grab is extremely expensive. Availaility of regular flag taxis is poor and they are likely to try something on or get you lost. To get out of bgc, makati, a car is needed. You can take a taxi out of the capital, but it is nearly impossible to get a ride back.

 

groceries compared to thailand are very limited. Shops are pretty but stock nothing with any regularity.

 

Rustans, the villa equivalant is very expensive but as in all philipines supermarkets vegetable are dire unless they are organic, and stocking is inconsistent, products come in, sell out never to be seen again.

 

During covid it must be unbearable, I thank god every day I was in thailand before that happened.

 

And if you venture outside the fort you are surrounded by slum.

 

My last stint in the fort was almost 5 years, restraunts and businesses close as fast as they open.

 

The first few times I lived in the fort I thought it charming, by the time I left almost a year ago imfound it dull and depressing.

 

The immigration office at sm aura is very convenient though, almost pleasant.

Agree, that there is something very depressing and soulless about Manila.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...