I need serious info on living in Cambodia or vietnam

I went to Siem Riep for a few days in March (had been once before many moons ago. If I ever left here and wanted to stay in this region I would strongly consider there.

Good things -  cheap, easy visa rules, 45 min flight to bkk, friendly people, English spoken, western food available, plenty of Indian restaurants, a decent splattering of bars/girls, roads not busy, no problems with police, and one thing that I did pick up on is because of the temples you do get plenty of normal, civilised tourists which gives the place a much better look/feel than for example the cesspit that is Phnom Penh, + other stuff no doubt.

Negatives, poor infrastructure, real third world, so power cuts etc. Lack of higher end civilised bars and restaurants, fairly small place so lacking in things to do, the summer months are unbearable heat wise, I'm talking can't even walk 10 metres down the road.

As for 'Nam, nice for a trip but not to live for me. Not enough English spoken, lack of western supermarkets, and everyone toots their horns all day long, would drive me insane. Then there is the communist element to it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

That's a pleasant surprise! I couldn't find the store on a map. Where is it in SR? Thanks.

Very sorry, there may be some misunderstanding. Annam is not a supermarket but a distribution company set up in 2000 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Quote from the company's website:-

Our focus became the location and distribution of premium food products, wines, beverages, and cosmetics, and we partnered with leading shipping and distributing experts in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar for the retail, and food service industries

These quality products are available in most supermarkets in Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and elsewhere. As you can see, they supply throughout Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam. Thailand is not included, but maybe in the future as I have been informed. Interestingly, Annam imports some of the quality products via Thailand. Personally, I believe protectionism by the top Thai retail families may prevent Annam's expansion!

On 6/8/2020 at 9:53 AM, JCauto said:

Strongly disagree with your third point - the quality and variety of cannabis has improved exponentially as well as its availability.

And while the place is indeed as quiet as a church at night, there is no curfew nor has there been other than during this COVID-19 lockdown.

I wasn't commenting about the quality/availability of drugs.  My comment was about the legality and your risk of being extorted by the police or thrown into prison.  It's high!

As for curfew, my comment more precisely refers to Luang Prabang, where a curfew has always been in place for many years since I recall from first working in the town in 2013.  The exception is for people going to the bowling alley.

16 hours ago, scoupeo said:

It really seems that you have no idea of the real life.

Few years ago it was even possible to buy weed at the market.

So funny to think that weed is a problem in laos.

You're having a hard time understanding my point.  It is illegal and your risk of being extorted, fined or imprisoned is high.  Snowflakes and millennials are not exempt from the law of the country, but many  do seem to be bereft of simple common sense.

Have you ever seen the inside of a Burmese or Lao prison?  I have, and they are far worst than the Bangkok Hilton  (I worked as a volunteer police officer/Thai translator in Thailand for many years and saw a fair few prisons).

20 minutes ago, simon43 said:

You're having a hard time understanding my point.  It is illegal and your risk of being extorted, fined or imprisoned is high.  Snowflakes and millennials are not exempt from the law of the country, but many  do seem to be bereft of simple common sense.

Have you ever seen the inside of a Burmese or Lao prison?  I have, and they are far worst than the Bangkok Hilton  (I worked as a volunteer police officer/Thai translator in Thailand for many years and saw a fair few prisons).

I seem to recall a tale of some British guy some time ago now who went into a Laos jail and never come out. Well he did, but in a box.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cheaper for most things ..... beer 50c-75 a glass.

I mean food ?

alcohol and booze seem to be the 2 main reasons for people to love in cambodia.

drug also actually !

but don't say to simon73 the champion of the world who is so successful at everything that he knows everything better than us !

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I wasn't commenting about the quality/availability of drugs.  My comment was about the legality and your risk of being extorted by the police or thrown into prison.  It's high!

As for curfew, my comment more precisely refers to Luang Prabang, where a curfew has always been in place for many years since I recall from first working in the town in 2013.  The exception is for people going to the bowling alley.

yes sure champion ! laos jails are full of people smoking weed !

cannot stop laughing...

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Enjoying all the drugs (including alcohol!) available in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia since 20 years... so yes, you can talk to me about what you don't know...

10 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Both Vietnam and Cambodia have excellent western restaurants.

Agree with you. I have had no difficulty finding good quality restaurants/food/service there.

Only ever been as a tourist, to both countries, no long stays but would have no trouble at all with the western restaurants there if I did stay there for an extended stay.

One time in Phnom Penh went to an Italian restaurant that would match the best of Thailand. IMO.

Returned there also.

Saigon also found good places to eat and did not find the prices expensive, I thought they were reasonable in fact.

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

Well, like anywhere, it's a matter of how well you blend in, understand the language, have local connections, etc. And for sure, that's a factor for those who don't have those things or aren't good at developing them. Don't recall curfews in Luang Prabang, perhaps there was during that time though. But dangerous? Only for fools or noobs.

I think that there are places that are better suited to people based on their personal preferences and requirements. There are lots of expatriates who enjoy life in Vientiane, as there are those who love the so-called "cesspit" of Phnom Penh, or perhaps Vietnam, Myanmar...it's entirely up to the sort of person one is and what one is looking for. I've lived and worked in all of those places, as well as in Northeast Thailand and Chiang Mai. Have enjoyed them all for different reasons but I'm pretty adaptable. 

For the OP, the best advice is always the same - take off for a month or two and live in whichever of those places sounds best suited to your taste. If it is, then arrange to move there. If it isn't, try another! There are many great places and hidden gems all around the region. 

Depends on the person. Been in Siem Reap for 2 weeks in late February and then for another 2 weeks in Hanoi in March. Both places bored me to death and couldn't compare to Thailand in any way. 

When I have been there, Siem Reap was pretty much dead in any other place other than the the tourist zones (night market zone).  I felt like in a ghost town everytime I went back to my hotel. Beer is indeed cheap , and people are very nice but other than that ...

Hanoi (old town area and beyond) too dirty for my liking , didn't find the people to be very nice ,  filled with scammers also the sound of car /moto horns  made me really hate that place.  Thais are not even near to the insanity of the Viets in terms of horn usage in traffic. Viets have a f morse code with horns. HoChiMin may be different , was planning to visit but covid struck.

Anyway. I would vote for Cambodia but probably in the next 5-10 years when they will catch up.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:41 PM, buick said:

i know you said vietnam and cambodia, but what about the philippines ?  fort bonafacio area of manila is pretty nice (not like the rest of manila).  all the buildings and streets are new.  they've got a nice outdoor, pedestrian mall area called 'high street'.  can live there w/o a car.  i'm pretty sure they even have an immigration office there.  a friend of mine lives there, i love to visit.  i hate manila but i like fort bonafacio.  i've been to PP in cambo, wouldn't want to live there.   i've spent alot of time in danang and saigon.  danang gets boring fast but i could survive there.  i'd do saigon if you really want vietnam.  but i'd take fort bonafacio over saigon.  alot of english spoken in the philippines.

Bgc is cute for a visit, it grows very stale the longer you stay.

the  rents in the fort are sky high, electricity is very expensive the place is sterile and souless. Internet is far inferior to bangkok and twice the price as well.

It is like they built a singapore theme park but missed out on things like hawker food and soul.

The cost of a grab is extremely expensive. Availaility of regular flag taxis is poor and they are likely to try something on or get you lost. To get out of bgc, makati, a car is needed. You can take a taxi out of the capital, but it is nearly impossible to get a ride back.

groceries compared to thailand are very limited. Shops are pretty but stock nothing with any regularity.

Rustans, the villa equivalant is very expensive but as in all philipines supermarkets vegetable are dire unless they are organic, and stocking is inconsistent, products come in, sell out never to be seen again.

During covid it must be unbearable, I thank god every day I was in thailand before that happened.

And if you venture outside the fort you are surrounded by slum.

My last stint in the fort was almost 5 years, restraunts and businesses close as fast as they open.

The first few times I lived in the fort I thought it charming, by the time I left almost a year ago imfound it dull and depressing.

The immigration office at sm aura is very convenient though, almost pleasant.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:19 AM, FarangULong said:

That's not an issue, as I haven't smoked any weed in quite some time. I wouldn#t mind it on and off (Isn't it legal there or pretty much tolerated anyway?), but it's not a must have thing.

Besides it's just one of many prospective states, I'd be interested in. Especially because it's not like on of those Ilhan Omar states. That's another reason, why I want to get away from Europe (and why a state like California, NY, Il or [thx to Ilhan Omar] Mn isn't an option)...

I see,

You smoke only oil, right ?

13 hours ago, n00dle said:

Bgc is cute for a visit, it grows very stale the longer you stay.

the  rents in the fort are sky high, electricity is very expensive the place is sterile and souless. Internet is far inferior to bangkok and twice the price as well.

It is like they built a singapore theme park but missed out on things like hawker food and soul.

The cost of a grab is extremely expensive. Availaility of regular flag taxis is poor and they are likely to try something on or get you lost. To get out of bgc, makati, a car is needed. You can take a taxi out of the capital, but it is nearly impossible to get a ride back.

groceries compared to thailand are very limited. Shops are pretty but stock nothing with any regularity.

Rustans, the villa equivalant is very expensive but as in all philipines supermarkets vegetable are dire unless they are organic, and stocking is inconsistent, products come in, sell out never to be seen again.

During covid it must be unbearable, I thank god every day I was in thailand before that happened.

And if you venture outside the fort you are surrounded by slum.

My last stint in the fort was almost 5 years, restraunts and businesses close as fast as they open.

The first few times I lived in the fort I thought it charming, by the time I left almost a year ago imfound it dull and depressing.

The immigration office at sm aura is very convenient though, almost pleasant.

Agree, that there is something very depressing and soulless about Manila.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:47 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Visa changes in Vietnam are coming July 1. And it's not looking good. In fact, my plan to return to living in VN is fading.

So far, no new guidance or clarifications since the first announcement. But, if VN Immigration goes with the current plan, there will be no long-term visas (for retirees, for example) unless you become an investor (big money!). Yes, agents will hook you up with a 6-month or 12-month Business (DN) visa but it's a big risk. Dozens, if not hundreds of people on fake Business visas (agents' dodgy companies set up to become sponsors) have had their visas revoked and holder given a few days to get out or been deported, after big fines!

VN wants to get rid of all the teachers living there on 90-day Tourist visas and working in fly-by-night language schools. Hence, the changes to the 90-day DL (tourist) visa, forcing you to either leave or get a new residency stamp every 30 days directly from VN Immigration. It takes 5 days to process, so you have to traipse to the Im Office twice a month. If you're prepared to leave VN often, then this is OK, I suppose. But it's still not very palatable. 

Do you have a link or other reference for this?

4 hours ago, Kelsall said:

Do you have a link or other reference for this?

An American living in Da Nang posts really good video livestreams and his info has been rock solid. Don't know if I can put a link to one video in particular. He's done several urging people to reconsider buying a Business visa if you don't have a business. The one below is from Dec. 2019. His short vids on visas have helpful titles. 

Eli the Bike Guy in Da Nang

This is better. It's his latest short livestream is on several topics, including business visas.

Business visas crackdowns

Also the Admin of the FB expat pages for Da Nang and Hoi An, Craig Anderson, has posted many times about cases of people having their business visa revoked. I think you might have to become a member though. But plug in Business Visa Revoked in the Search bar, you will get Craig's many threads. 

Here's a link to a summary of the Visa changes.

Link to VN legal firm

On 6/9/2020 at 3:52 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Incorrect.  There's never been a 2-month cooling off period. The former 30-day cooling off period between the last departure and next re-entry into VN for visa-free nationals will be eliminated July 1 under the new immigration law revisions approved in Nov 2019. You will be able to go out and re-enter the next day. 

Of course,  not until VN re-opens the borders to the Europeans and others. 

And the revisions bring an expanded selection of investor business visas with residence cards.

I am pretty sure there was. But since it never applied to me I didn't care.

Anyway, the new regulations are bound to be strict. Just you watch it. 1 month tourist visas and that's all. Vietnam is definitely cleaning out the riff raff as the British say.

On 6/9/2020 at 4:52 PM, simon43 said:

Good post. Shows you know what you're talking about.

I heard of a case of a Thai national running a motorcycle tour. He was driving the support vehicle. He accidentally drove on the wrong side of the road, killing the governor of Luang Prabang in the process. He was thrown in jail, where he has already lingered for well over 5 years now and no idea if he's still in there. He was careless, but the accident certainly wasn't intentional. Not sure if he has been put on trial yet.

In another case, a Thai engineer was accused of causing some kind of "substantial" damage to the property of a Lao company. He was thrown in jail and no one knows what's going on. It's been several years already and nobody has seen or heard from him. Totally weird. What happened would have been considered a minor incident in most other countries.

43 minutes ago, davemos said:

VN is way safer especially Danang My friend  got mugged in PP and gangs of pickpockets are in riverside Not safe to walk at night in Pp areas  

Been to both last year, had someone on a m/c try to snatch my phone in PP (afternoon).

Walked all around the bar areas of both places while a bit drunk.

Can't see a bigger risk in one place more than the other.

I tend to hold my phone and wallet whenever I'm in a busy place anywhere these days.

I tend to hold my phone and wallet whenever I'm in a busy place anywhere these days.

... whereas in ladyboy land (Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok), you have to hang onto your meat and 2 veg..... ????

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Been to both last year, had someone on a m/c try to snatch my phone in PP (afternoon).

Walked all around the bar areas of both places while a bit drunk.

Can't see a bigger risk in one place more than the other.

it happens daily in PP but usually only idiot tourists get caught, not experienced old men ????

Archived