I need serious info on living in Cambodia or vietnam

On 6/2/2020 at 7:16 PM, madmen said:

That's 10000 baht. Just had a mate pay an agent here 14000 baht for a retirement extension  and that's without any funds in the bank. For the extra 4k why would you take on the drama and expense of moving to a new country ?

Op you wont like càmbodia to live and the expats there are deadbeats mostly who failed at living anywhere else.

55555! Yeah, we're just a bunch of deadbeats unlike the hi-so expatriates of Thailand! The pages of ThaiVisa are filled with tales of Bond-like sophisticates and Maugham-level nabobs calmly surveying the Thai natives and casually putting them in their proper place.

You're right of course - Cambodia is a dreadful place and we deadbeats are just looking for fresh meat to exploit. I wouldn't go there if I were you!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

As You slide down the Financial Ladder its the place to go.

More to do with ease of VISA than anything else IMHO.

Although cheapness of hookers/beer/cannabis does enter into the choice a little bit.

As for just paying an agent to bribe Thai immigration.

I prefer not to.

On 6/5/2020 at 10:48 PM, davemos said:

Cambodia gangs of pickpockets  everywhere and girls cheap beers 18 baht  VN is controlled but easy to make a life and cleaner too 

555555! Yes, I can see you're an expert on Cambodia!

On 6/5/2020 at 10:05 PM, Ron jeremy said:

I second Vietnam, friendly people, loved it, Cambodia?????? Another pattaya, filthy and full of sex tourists. Third world, live there????? Really???

Here we go again - "I went to Cambodia on a visa run and spent a week where I didn't migrate West of Norodom Blvd, swilling beer with other expats in sex bars. This place is filthy and full of sex tourists." 

A man with the name "Ron Jeremy" is disgusted with sex tourists in Cambodia and Pattaya.

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

Op you wont like càmbodia to live and the expats there are deadbeats mostly who failed at living anywhere else.

What a load of rubbish - I'm afraid the draconian Thai lock-down has got to your head!! For your information, I am certainly not a deadbeat, I am a retired forensic expert with 34 years in the UK Police Service. I retired to Thailand almost 20 years ago and enjoyed many happy years living in the North of the country with its scenic mountains, lakes and forests. I was also a Thai Tourist Police volunteer for 9 years before I decided to move to Cambodia (after doing my research) for a life of simplicity and being able to enjoy my pensions to the full without the Thai bureaucratic paperwork and financial restrictions of recent years. So, I definitely have not failed at living anywhere else - 56 years UK, 20 years Thailand and now 4 months Cambodia!! If you regard us in Cambodia as "deadbeats" I regard "deadbeats" in Thailand as ex-pat flip-flop old farts who have nothing better to do in life other than sit on their favorite bar stool and moan and groan about Thailand, their "host" country. I offer my due respects to all you genuine ex-pats in LOS, possibly in business, happily married and of sound mind. 

44 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

What a load of rubbish - I'm afraid the draconian Thai lock-down has got to your head!! For your information, I am certainly not a deadbeat, I am a retired forensic expert with 34 years in the UK Police Service. I retired to Thailand almost 20 years ago and enjoyed many happy years living in the North of the country with its scenic mountains, lakes and forests. I was also a Thai Tourist Police volunteer for 9 years before I decided to move to Cambodia (after doing my research) for a life of simplicity and being able to enjoy my pensions to the full without the Thai bureaucratic paperwork and financial restrictions of recent years. So, I definitely have not failed at living anywhere else - 56 years UK, 20 years Thailand and now 4 months Cambodia!! If you regard us in Cambodia as "deadbeats" I regard "deadbeats" in Thailand as ex-pat flip-flop old farts who have nothing better to do in life other than sit on their favorite bar stool and moan and groan about Thailand, their "host" country. I offer my due respects to all you genuine ex-pats in LOS, possibly in business, happily married and of sound mind. 

Just a minor point, but the quotation you used was not from me - I'm of the exact opposite opinion to that person.

6 hours ago, JCauto said:

You're right of course - Cambodia is a dreadful place and we deadbeats are just looking for fresh meat to exploit. I wouldn't go there if I were you!

I was last in Siem Reap last November and I never saw one lady bar or sex worker.  It was very different 10+ years ago but now, unless it is really hidden, I just don't see it there any more.  PP is a different world.

9 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I was last in Siem Reap last November and I never saw one lady bar or sex worker.  It was very different 10+ years ago but now, unless it is really hidden, I just don't see it there any more.  PP is a different world.

Maybe you should stop wearing sunglasses at night... ????

Siem Reap hotspots

16 hours ago, scoupeo said:

how to live in Laos please ? what kind of visa ? I cannot find any information.

Before I provide you with an answer to your question, please assign 1 point to each affirmative reply to my list of questions below:

- Are you in poor health or need regular visits to a semi-decent hospital?

- Do you like go-go bars and women (or men) of ill-repute?

- Do you partake in any kind of illegal drugs, from crack cocaine down to cannabis?

- Do you like loud, rowdy nights out with the lads?

- Do you like to stay out after midnight (curfew time)?

If your total score is 1 or more, you should give Laos a miss.....

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Before I provide you with an answer to your question, please assign 1 point to each affirmative reply to my list of questions below:

- Do you partake in any kind of illegal drugs, from crack cocaine down to cannabis?

Drat! It seems like it's Myanmar for me.

Again.

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Maybe you should stop wearing sunglasses at night... ????

Siem Reap hotspots

There are certainly night clubs and dance clubs but which of the ones in your link are sex outlets?  I am not saying they don't exist but Siem Reap is no Pattaya or even a Chiang Mai.  it used to be but to me it has changed.  

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Again.

Hmm, I lived in Myanmar for 4 years before I moved to Laos.  The only difference between the 2 countries is that there's no curfew in Myanmar..... oh, and Burmese food is far (FAR!) worse than Lao food.

1 minute ago, simon43 said:
1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Again.

Hmm, I lived in Myanmar for 4 years before I moved to Laos.  The only difference between the 2 countries is that there's no curfew in Myanmar..... oh, and Burmese food is far (FAR!) worse than Lao food.

The Burmese food issue was the main reason for my "drat!"

14 minutes ago, simon43 said:

So greasy pig's <deleted> in engine oil not to your taste then? ????????????

When the monks came to bless the start of our field operations, I reckoned the Mohingar was awesome... as close to Thai khanom jeen as you can get. Subsequently, everything else was a spiral of culinary disappointment.

But the beer's good. That Black Shield 8% ABV is a one-bottle wipe-out and the Tiger Black is quite excellent.

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

are you an uneducated old fashioned guy ? drug is everywhere and cheap in laos, especially weed, so what is the problem to get a visa for anybody doing drugs ? not your problem anyway ! Ridiculous to even talk about it.

On 6/5/2020 at 12:53 PM, Isaan sailor said:

Consider moving to one of those fly over states in USA.  You can buy a nice place with big land in KY, TN.  And very low taxes.  Friend on mine left LoS last year—loves it.

This... It's been my dream for a while, to buy a few acres of land ie in Colorado, build a nice house, etc. Land is so cheap in some parts of the us, and you can have a huge house and acres of land, without the taxes slaying you financially, in some states (in others it's outright insane, how much the property taxes are), for the price of a slightly/on the ede of upper middle class home where I am from.

And cost of living is far cheaper too (especially dining out, with huge portions and such, not to mention shopping for food and everything else really), than here.

But unfortunately I do not qualify for an immigration visa. Therefore I am - for now, anyway - looking for other options, especially ones where you have a far better chance (than in the West) of finding a decent spouse, in the long run. Maybe one day I'll go to night school, and get the diploma and then apply for a visa.

4 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

are you an uneducated old fashioned guy ? drug is everywhere and cheap in laos, especially weed, so what is the problem to get a visa for anybody doing drugs ? not your problem anyway ! Ridiculous to even talk about it.

Ha, what a fool!  Of course drugs are everywhere and so are the police and informers.. The only thing worse than a Burmese prison is a Lao prison.  Take any drugs at your own risk.... you're plain stupid if you think it's worth that risk.

15 hours ago, simon43 said:

Strongly disagree with your third point - the quality and variety of cannabis has improved exponentially as well as its availability.

And while the place is indeed as quiet as a church at night, there is no curfew nor has there been other than during this COVID-19 lockdown.

This is a perspective issue, what does the person want, there is no one answer for all.

Me personally I want very fast internet, I want to live in a place where there are lots of expats so that there are supermarkets that carry quality European food products. So that means Cambodia is out and Vietnam is out. Philippines is a great place, but sloooow internet and no European products. Traffic even in Cebu is awful sometimes but not always.

So that leaves Malaysia. Good infrastructure, world class shopping malls and lot of expats, so plenty of European food. Of course you'd have Arabs everywhere and if you've lived in a condo with Arab families you'll know it's almost worse than extended Chinese or Thai families. Easy visas.

Or just move to Spain or Italy direct. Much better than KY or TN, no serial killers, no race riots and good weather. But cold winters and high cost.

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

... So that leaves Malaysia. Good infrastructure, world class shopping malls and lot of expats, so plenty of European food. Of course you'd have Arabs everywhere and if you've lived in a condo with Arab families you'll know it's almost worse than extended Chinese or Thai families. ...

Arabs? In Malaysia?

Malaysia still can't even make a decent loaf of bread for a sandwich. Pass.

For reference and an important point I omitted. The Cambodian 6 month and 1 year retirement visas automatically include "multiple re-entries" which is printed on your ER visa - no need to make any additional applications. All included in the one price. 

With 100K baht a month, living in Thailand and OP's next option is jumping off from high places? Wow, seems like the hardest thing for him is to get out from where he is now rather than looking for the any next "best" places. 

Someone earlier mentioned that "the other side is just (more) grass" to which I might add, plus some worse sh$t gotten mushed in when you finally put your foot down. Also someone mentioned "feeling like Clark Kent?" I've managed to feel like "Clark Kent" with an income one third of OP's amount for the last 5 years in noisy, expensive, polluted, you name it Bangkok.

Maybe part of that's got to do with my cosy relationship with Chaeng Wattana... Always been treated with "love" and respect by the IOs there, especially when they open my bankbook and see those never-changing rows of x00000s. Last March I was there for my extension, the lady IO saw her signature from last year stamp, she then took care of me like a mother hen. The 90 day report takes usually 1 to 2 minutes to get done on line (the few times when on-line doesn't work is when I misjudged the time window). As for TM30, the manager of my building took one day training course at Chaeng Wattana so now she can whip out a fresh new report in no time. 

The only thing missing is the snow, but truth be told, who ever came to Asia to look for snow? As long as I stay here in un- farang friendly, unyielding, un-sympathetic Thailand, the grass is already greener.  So what's my advice for OP? It's in the first paragraph.

Archived