I need serious info on living in Cambodia or vietnam

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, FarangULong said:

This... It's been my dream for a while, to buy a few acres of land ie in Colorado, build a nice house, etc. Land is so cheap in some parts of the us, and you can have a huge house and acres of land, without the taxes slaying you financially, in some states (in others it's outright insane, how much the property taxes are), for the price of a slightly/on the ede of upper middle class home where I am from.

And cost of living is far cheaper too (especially dining out, with huge portions and such, not to mention shopping for food and everything else really), than here.

But unfortunately I do not qualify for an immigration visa. Therefore I am - for now, anyway - looking for other options, especially ones where you have a far better chance (than in the West) of finding a decent spouse, in the long run. Maybe one day I'll go to night school, and get the diploma and then apply for a visa.

And weed is super expensive in colorado !

I have the same "dream" as you, but it's just as golf, nice on photos, but when you go there, you feel like living in a $hitlol ????

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

Ha, what a fool!  Of course drugs are everywhere and so are the police and informers.. The only thing worse than a Burmese prison is a Lao prison.  Take any drugs at your own risk.... you're plain stupid if you think it's worth that risk.

It really seems that you have no idea of the real life.

Few years ago it was even possible to buy weed at the market.

So funny to think that weed is a problem in laos.

14 hours ago, Logosone said:

This is a perspective issue, what does the person want, there is no one answer for all.

Me personally I want very fast internet, I want to live in a place where there are lots of expats so that there are supermarkets that carry quality European food products. So that means Cambodia is out and Vietnam is out. Philippines is a great place, but sloooow internet and no European products. Traffic even in Cebu is awful sometimes but not always.

So that leaves Malaysia. Good infrastructure, world class shopping malls and lot of expats, so plenty of European food. Of course you'd have Arabs everywhere and if you've lived in a condo with Arab families you'll know it's almost worse than extended Chinese or Thai families. Easy visas.

Or just move to Spain or Italy direct. Much better than KY or TN, no serial killers, no race riots and good weather. But cold winters and high cost.

555 5 no western food in cambodia ?! you know too mutt !! 555

but i agree with the nice muslim point !

8 hours ago, scoupeo said:

And weed is super expensive in colorado !

I have the same "dream" as you, but it's just as golf, nice on photos, but when you go there, you feel like living in a $hitlol ????

That's not an issue, as I haven't smoked any weed in quite some time. I wouldn#t mind it on and off (Isn't it legal there or pretty much tolerated anyway?), but it's not a must have thing.

Besides it's just one of many prospective states, I'd be interested in. Especially because it's not like on of those Ilhan Omar states. That's another reason, why I want to get away from Europe (and why a state like California, NY, Il or [thx to Ilhan Omar] Mn isn't an option)...

9 hours ago, scoupeo said:

So that leaves Malaysia. Good infrastructure, world class shopping malls and lot of expats, so plenty of European food. Of course you'd have Arabs everywhere and if you've lived in a condo with Arab families you'll know it's almost worse than extended Chinese or Thai families. Easy visas.

Arabs everywhere?  There are not many Arabs in Malaysia, are you trying to say Muslims?  There are like 15,000 Arabs in the whole country.  Easy visa, just what long stay visa in Malaysia is easy and inexpensive?

9 hours ago, scoupeo said:

555 5 no western food in cambodia ?! you know too mutt !! 555

but i agree with the nice muslim point !

Both Vietnam and Cambodia have excellent western restaurants.

30 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Arabs everywhere?  There are not many Arabs in Malaysia, are you trying to say Muslims?  There are like 15,000 Arabs in the whole country.  Easy visa, just what long stay visa in Malaysia is easy and inexpensive?

I don't mean muslims, I mean Arabs.

Malaysia is full of Arabs. The entire condo I was at was like Dubai central. Huge families with scores of obnoxious children.

On 6/2/2020 at 9:28 AM, PatchinExPat said:

I about 3500 US Dollars a month to live on of 

which about 350 goes to a heart med for 

atrial fibrillation. The rest usually to an ungrateful

family.

I think you should look at this with  open eyes.     If you ended up with this situation in Thailand,  there's a chance you could end up with the same no matter where you chose to live.

I'd also check on the availability of the medication you require at  whatever place you decide to live.      Certain meds are not always carried by the local  chemist.

48 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- Arriving at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, you might be forgiven for thinking you had landed in the Middle East: In addition to English and Malaysian Bahasa, arrival and departure announcements are made in high-flown Arabic, just one indication that Malaysia is fast becoming a favorite holiday destination for Arabs.

From June to October, Arab tourists increasingly flee the furnace-like temperatures of the Gulf for Malaysia's green landscape and pristine coastal waters. While many hotels all over the country -- from Kota Kinabalu in Sabah to Langkawi near the Thai border -- cater to Arab tourists during the summer season, the trend is most evident in Kuala Lumpur. In fact, the capital city's countenance is gradually losing some of its traditional Southeast Asian features and acquiring Middle Eastern traits.

https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/1154/malaysia-casts-itself-as-friendly-destination-for-arab-tourists

On 6/8/2020 at 10:41 AM, Logosone said:

are lots of expats so that there are supermarkets that carry quality European food products. So that means Cambodia is out and Vietnam

Personally, for me Cambodia is IN - Siem Reap to be precise! There are many ex-pats and several "Western" style supermarkets selling ranges of top branded European food products. The new Angkor Supermarket (almost a hypermarket) on the main road to the airport is excellent with quality branded products from the UK, France, Italy, USA, Australia, New Zealand etc. etc. The cheese selection alone is superb. Out of town is a new MAKRO which stocks many branded international food products. Although I have visited Vietnam on many occasions, the only large supermarket I visited as a tourist, was BIG C in a provincial city outside Hanoi, but it was stocked with international branded products.

Vietnam also has an expanding import supermarket chain called Annam Gourmet Market. The products, from NorthAm to Europe and Australia, are very expensive, although it may be as much to do with the expensive real estate they set up in, in Saigon and Hanoi.

Cambodia has loads of import grocery stores such as Thai Huot, Super Duper, Angkor Mart, and more. Plus there's dozens of restaurants serving all manner of western, Chinese, mid-eastern and some African food -- mostly in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. 

33 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Vietnam also has an expanding import supermarket chain called Annam Gourmet Market. The products, from NorthAm to Europe and Australia, are very expensive, although it may be as much to do with the expensive real estate they set up in, in Saigon and Hanoi.

Cambodia has loads of import grocery stores such as Thai Huot, Super Duper, Angkor Mart, and more. Plus there's dozens of restaurants serving all manner of western, Chinese, mid-eastern and some African food -- mostly in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. 

Very interesting, a Khmer pal of mine works for Annam based in Siem Reap and I know its quality branded imported food and drink products. Yes, they are a little expensive but you pay for the quality.

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- Arriving at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, you might be forgiven for thinking you had landed in the Middle East: In addition to English and Malaysian Bahasa, arrival and departure announcements are made in high-flown Arabic, just one indication that Malaysia is fast becoming a favorite holiday destination for Arabs.

From June to October, Arab tourists increasingly flee the furnace-like temperatures of the Gulf for Malaysia's green landscape and pristine coastal waters. While many hotels all over the country -- from Kota Kinabalu in Sabah to Langkawi near the Thai border -- cater to Arab tourists during the summer season, the trend is most evident in Kuala Lumpur. In fact, the capital city's countenance is gradually losing some of its traditional Southeast Asian features and acquiring Middle Eastern traits.

https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/1154/malaysia-casts-itself-as-friendly-destination-for-arab-tourists

I went to Malaysia many times, I like it and would prefer living there than Cambodia or Vietnam.

There are a lot of Arabs indeed, Kuala Lumpur seems like a Middle Eastern city.

Penang is amazing and one of the best place to live as an expat.

On 6/8/2020 at 4:48 AM, simon43 said:

Ha, what a fool!  Of course drugs are everywhere and so are the police and informers.. The only thing worse than a Burmese prison is a Lao prison.  Take any drugs at your own risk.... you're plain stupid if you think it's worth that risk.

it's good that you know yourself now !

after being so good at business and at building resorts you still seem to be a real real champion about everything ❤️

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Personally, for me Cambodia is IN - Siem Reap to be precise! There are many ex-pats and several "Western" style supermarkets selling ranges of top branded European food products. The new Angkor Supermarket (almost a hypermarket) on the main road to the airport is excellent with quality branded products from the UK, France, Italy, USA, Australia, New Zealand etc. etc. The cheese selection alone is superb. Out of town is a new MAKRO which stocks many branded international food products. Although I have visited Vietnam on many occasions, the only large supermarket I visited as a tourist, was BIG C in a provincial city outside Hanoi, but it was stocked with international branded products.

Correct, but what about prices ? similar to Thailand ?

On 6/5/2020 at 7:47 PM, Deli said:

1st of all, dump the wife and her family. Get away from them ASAP and don't let them know where you are. Change your phone number, Facebook, etc,  And than, as the others suggested, take your time to travel around, when it will be possible again. I got divorced myself and after that, I was happy again.

tell wife you have to go to the gold shop to buy her and family a few Bath worth of gold but she can't go with you as it is a surprise.

Prepare you luggage and never go back again.????

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Very interesting, a Khmer pal of mine works for Annam based in Siem Reap and I know its quality branded imported food and drink products. Yes, they are a little expensive but you pay for the quality.

That's a pleasant surprise! I couldn't find the store on a map. Where is it in SR? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

This is the kind of info we need, thanks Burma Bill.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:47 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Visa changes in Vietnam are coming July 1. And it's not looking good. In fact, my plan to return to living in VN is fading.

So far, no new guidance or clarifications since the first announcement. But, if VN Immigration goes with the current plan, there will be no long-term visas (for retirees, for example) unless you become an investor (big money!). Yes, agents will hook you up with a 6-month or 12-month Business (DN) visa but it's a big risk. Dozens, if not hundreds of people on fake Business visas (agents' dodgy companies set up to become sponsors) have had their visas revoked and holder given a few days to get out or been deported, after big fines!

VN wants to get rid of all the teachers living there on 90-day Tourist visas and working in fly-by-night language schools. Hence, the changes to the 90-day DL (tourist) visa, forcing you to either leave or get a new residency stamp every 30 days directly from VN Immigration. It takes 5 days to process, so you have to traipse to the Im Office twice a month. If you're prepared to leave VN often, then this is OK, I suppose. But it's still not very palatable. 

Yes the Vietnamese visa changes pre-date corona and were coming anyway.

Some people with an anti-Thai vendetta like to make out as if some neighboring countries are just dying to "embrace" poor farang, but the reality is anything but. It's only a matter of time before all these countries have strict visa regimens in place. As things are looking, Thailand will soon look more attractive visa-wise than Vietnam. There is however a precedent in Vietnam's case. Unlike Thailand, Vietnam immigration law requires a 2-month absence between 15-day visa free entries, that some European and South Korean/Japanese nationals receive.

14 hours ago, scoupeo said:

It really seems that you have no idea of the real life.

Few years ago it was even possible to buy weed at the market.

So funny to think that weed is a problem in laos.

Same was probably true in Thailand in the past. Things change, even in Laos. 10 years ago you could buy magic mushrooms off every menu in Vang Vieng. Now you have to ask discreetly for weed, and you stand a chance of being set up and arrested by the police. Definitely not a good idea. Stay away from legal problems in countries like Laos, just isn't worth it.

1 hour ago, Anton9 said:

I went to Malaysia many times, I like it and would prefer living there than Cambodia or Vietnam.

There are a lot of Arabs indeed, Kuala Lumpur seems like a Middle Eastern city.

Penang is amazing and one of the best place to live as an expat.

Thanks I don't mind Arabs as such, it's the big family thing, they come with their parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, sons, daughters. Any luxury condo is instantly turned into hell.

I think the malls in KL are maybe the best in the world, though Bangkok and SG are very close, but I really want to see Penang. I have heard good things.

Of course the best part about Penang, it's one of the very few places in SE Asia where expats are allowed to buy land.

On 6/7/2020 at 6:14 PM, simon43 said:

Before I provide you with an answer to your question, please assign 1 point to each affirmative reply to my list of questions below:

- Are you in poor health or need regular visits to a semi-decent hospital?

- Do you like go-go bars and women (or men) of ill-repute?

- Do you partake in any kind of illegal drugs, from crack cocaine down to cannabis?

- Do you like loud, rowdy nights out with the lads?

- Do you like to stay out after midnight (curfew time)?

If your total score is 1 or more, you should give Laos a miss.....

Can you explain the "curfew time" in relation to Laos? Is this just a nightlife curfew? I have sampled Lao nightlife, but that was several years ago and I don't think I was out after midnight.

On 6/6/2020 at 3:05 PM, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, registration on the new FPCS is required for visa extension but unlike a Big Brother TM30 one does not have to report to Immigration when travelling inter-provincially as in Thailand or every 90-days if a resident. I am registered on FPCS (done by my landlord as mandated) and that is it until I renew my retirement visa, then that is it for another year.  Note, officially all foreigners, including tourists, must be registered on the app with the onus on the landlord, hotel, hostel, guest house etc. after you show/check in with your passport. I am sure it is going to be "flexible".

Thailand no longer enforces TM30 on return from interprovincial trips. That largely ended after that big public outcry.

However, in Cambodia's case, I'm hearing conflicting information like having to report once a month. I expect that in future, they'll start to get really strict about it. This has been planned for some time now.

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I love Siem Reap. Great place, excellent nightlife.

However, the food scene is definitely better in Bangkok. The cheese selection at Central Food Hall at Bang Na or Central World can't be beat and must surely be much more extensive than in Cambodia. Sure, it's expensive, but I found Aeon supermarket in Phnom Penh to be even more expensive for imported items like cheese, than what I'm used to paying in Thailand. Big C Vietnam is OK, but about the same as in Thailand.

Siem Reap has a far livelier nightlife scene than Thailand IMHO - pubs and bars are open until like 4am! 

Anyway, might be time to change your username to "Cambodia Bill" or "Siem Reap Bill".

1 hour ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Correct, but what about prices ? similar to Thailand ?

Yes, perhaps a little more expensive than Tesco Lotus or BIG C but similar to prices in TOPS and Rimping (Chiang Mai area).

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Yes the Vietnamese visa changes pre-date corona and were coming anyway.

Some people with an anti-Thai vendetta like to make out as if some neighboring countries are just dying to "embrace" poor farang, but the reality is anything but. It's only a matter of time before all these countries have strict visa regimens in place. As things are looking, Thailand will soon look more attractive visa-wise than Vietnam. There is however a precedent in Vietnam's case. Unlike Thailand, Vietnam immigration law requires a 2-month absence between 15-day visa free entries, that some European and South Korean/Japanese nationals receive.

Incorrect.  There's never been a 2-month cooling off period. The former 30-day cooling off period between the last departure and next re-entry into VN for visa-free nationals will be eliminated July 1 under the new immigration law revisions approved in Nov 2019. You will be able to go out and re-enter the next day. 

Of course,  not until VN re-opens the borders to the Europeans and others. 

And the revisions bring an expanded selection of investor business visas with residence cards.

Archived