I need serious info on living in Cambodia or vietnam

On 6/3/2020 at 4:50 AM, Pattaya46 said:

Easy visa? Only for 30-days periods for tourists and retirees ! 

Have to renew visa every 30 days :blink:

Thailand give you 1 year for retirement, mariage,...

USA citizens get easy 1 year visa on the internet without any immigration interaction except of course at the airport. It’s my favorite holiday place so I get a visa every year.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Money's clearly not an issue, so why not take a nice, slow trip around the neighbouring countries and see how you feel afterwards?

Are you not over reacting a little. Is Thailand making it harder to live---or your wife's relations?   You don't seem to be in a great frame of mind--talking about jumping off of a high place etc....I

Cambodia is a 3rd world dump for those with low funds that are OK with a downgraded living standard. Vietnam is getting better, but still not even close to Thailand. Your income is decent an

Posted Images

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

@PatchinExPat

So what made you change your mind since you said you met a Thai lady of good moral? 

Think the OP used one word to describe his situation "ungrateful"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some "posters" seem to have missed the point. As I see it, this gentleman wants to LEAVE Thailand and is seeking advice for a relaxed and uncomplicated life in retirement in Cambodia or Vietnam. Heavens forbid, why keep telling him to move south to Pattaya and Phuket etc. He will still be lumbered with bureaucratic paperwork, Big Brother reporting and complicated financial requirements such as the "800,000 baht in the bank" stupidity.  He is a pensioner, like myself, who appears not to want this financial burden restricting his lifestyle and spending power. This is one of the reasons I "escaped" Amazing Trusted Thailand after nearly 20 years - good riddance LOS!!!

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

No doubt that beaches & nature are better near Phuket, but there are countless of complains from Phuket expats on this forum about how bad (and pricey) the is transport system, how bad and difficult is Phuket Immigration, etc. So unsure it's the best place to retire... :unsure:

Simply get a motorbike.  Eat where the locals eat avoid the tourist trap restaurants.  Problem solved.

3 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Some "posters" seem to have missed the point. As I see it, this gentleman wants to LEAVE Thailand and is seeking advice for a relaxed and uncomplicated life in retirement in Cambodia or Vietnam. Heavens forbid, why keep telling him to move south to Pattaya and Phuket etc. He will still be lumbered with bureaucratic paperwork, Big Brother reporting and complicated financial requirements such as the "800,000 baht in the bank" stupidity.  He is a pensioner, like myself, who appears not to want this financial burden restricting his lifestyle and spending power. This is one of the reasons I t"escaped" Amazing Trusted Thailand after nearly 20 years - good riddance LOS!!!

True however many simply pay an agent and presto problem solved and first class treatment.  

• Like 2
On 6/2/2020 at 9:28 AM, PatchinExPat said:

Thailand makes it harder and harder to live here

What has changed during the last years? Nothing. The same stupid paper work once a year, the same 400k at the bank account, the same annoying 90 days report. And it´s much easier than in Vietnam since they have new rules. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

What has changed during the last years? Nothing. The same stupid paper work once a year, the same 400k at the bank account, the same annoying 90 days report. And it´s much easier than in Vietnam since they have new rules. 

Yes there are changes - 400k for some (married) with mandatory medical insurance, but for unmarried retirees now 800,000 baht (was 400,000 baht many years ago).

40 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes there are changes - 400k for some (married) with mandatory medical insurance, but for unmarried retirees now 800,000 baht (was 400,000 baht many years ago).

Nobody asked me 2 months ago for an insurance. And he is married, so the change for unmarried people doesn´t effect him. 

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, leggo said:

as an ex surfer at 75 who has seen a few beaches in my time Da Nang has a long bit pretty dull and dirty beach and i wouldn't put it n the top 100! however Vietnam where i have lived for the last five years is def cheaper than Thailand , the people are lovely and there's a lot of choices where to live and the visa situation is much easier  than Thailand ( where isnt ?)

That may change though. The Vietnam government has so far tolerated long stays on tourist visas but according to news that pre-dates corona, they intend to limit tourist visas to 1 month in the future and there is no retirement visa option. Therefore, don't make the mistake of assuming Vietnam is easy visa-wise as that could change at a moment's notice. I would always have a backup plan.

As for the rest of your comment, I definitely agree. Vietnam is nice and cheaper than Thailand; always has been even on my first visit back in 2003.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Some "posters" seem to have missed the point. As I see it, this gentleman wants to LEAVE Thailand and is seeking advice for a relaxed and uncomplicated life in retirement in Cambodia or Vietnam. Heavens forbid, why keep telling him to move south to Pattaya and Phuket etc. He will still be lumbered with bureaucratic paperwork, Big Brother reporting and complicated financial requirements such as the "800,000 baht in the bank" stupidity.  He is a pensioner, like myself, who appears not to want this financial burden restricting his lifestyle and spending power. This is one of the reasons I "escaped" Amazing Trusted Thailand after nearly 20 years - good riddance LOS!!!

Big brother reporting has now been extended to Cambodia. The new reporting requirement (not really new, but newly enforced I should add) is in the form of an app similar to TM30 and is now a requirement to get visas extended. Conveniently rolled out now, although it has been talked about for over a year.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

[Vietnam] USA citizens get easy 1 year visa on the internet without any immigration interaction except of course at the airport. It’s my favorite holiday place so I get a visa every year.

I thing that you missed the changes who are coming in July 1st. :unsure:

What you say is how it used to work until now, but from next month you will only get an authorisation of stay (residence term) for 30 days when you arrive in Vietnam, whatever tourist visa you have (1, 3 or 12 months). For longer stays you will have to renew this authorisation at immigration.

See by exemple section Residence Term on this page

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

If the OP has approximately 100,000 baht a month to live off, he can basically live anywhere in the region, either in Thailand on retirement visa or Cambodia, Philippines etc.

Vietnam is great but is changing quite a few rules lately. Laos is nice and easy as well as a gentle way of life if you are older.

Siem Reap in Cambodia is OK, but you have no beaches there. I get bored after five or six days maximum. You wouldn't want the beach place of Sihanoukville, too much development and Chinese.

Why not Cebu in the Philippines where US citizens are still popular and no language worries? Easy to stay as well as a US citizen.

With 100K a month, you have loads of options and should not be talking about considering jumping off tall buildings unless your name is Clark Kent.

how to live in Laos please ? what kind of visa ? I cannot find any information.