BANGKOK
PatchinExPat

I need serious info on living in Cambodia or vietnam

6 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Probably meant to say Muslim

Plenty of non-Muslims too.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, FarangULong said:

This... It's been my dream for a while, to buy a few acres of land ie in Colorado, build a nice house, etc. Land is so cheap in some parts of the us, and you can have a huge house and acres of land, without the taxes slaying you financially, in some states (in others it's outright insane, how much the property taxes are), for the price of a slightly/on the ede of upper middle class home where I am from.

And cost of living is far cheaper too (especially dining out, with huge portions and such, not to mention shopping for food and everything else really), than here.

But unfortunately I do not qualify for an immigration visa. Therefore I am - for now, anyway - looking for other options, especially ones where you have a far better chance (than in the West) of finding a decent spouse, in the long run. Maybe one day I'll go to night school, and get the diploma and then apply for a visa.

And weed is super expensive in colorado !

I have the same "dream" as you, but it's just as golf, nice on photos, but when you go there, you feel like living in a $hitlol 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

Ha, what a fool!  Of course drugs are everywhere and so are the police and informers.. The only thing worse than a Burmese prison is a Lao prison.  Take any drugs at your own risk.... you're plain stupid if you think it's worth that risk.

It really seems that you have no idea of the real life.

Few years ago it was even possible to buy weed at the market.

So funny to think that weed is a problem in laos.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't appear to be much risk in Cambodia or Vietnam.

Clearly the champion knows a lot 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Logosone said:

This is a perspective issue, what does the person want, there is no one answer for all.

Me personally I want very fast internet, I want to live in a place where there are lots of expats so that there are supermarkets that carry quality European food products. So that means Cambodia is out and Vietnam is out. Philippines is a great place, but sloooow internet and no European products. Traffic even in Cebu is awful sometimes but not always.

So that leaves Malaysia. Good infrastructure, world class shopping malls and lot of expats, so plenty of European food. Of course you'd have Arabs everywhere and if you've lived in a condo with Arab families you'll know it's almost worse than extended Chinese or Thai families. Easy visas.

Or just move to Spain or Italy direct. Much better than KY or TN, no serial killers, no race riots and good weather. But cold winters and high cost.

555 5 no western food in cambodia ?! you know too mutt !! 555

but i agree with the nice muslim point !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scoupeo said:

And weed is super expensive in colorado !

I have the same "dream" as you, but it's just as golf, nice on photos, but when you go there, you feel like living in a $hitlol 🙂

That's not an issue, as I haven't smoked any weed in quite some time. I wouldn#t mind it on and off (Isn't it legal there or pretty much tolerated anyway?), but it's not a must have thing.

Besides it's just one of many prospective states, I'd be interested in. Especially because it's not like on of those Ilhan Omar states. That's another reason, why I want to get away from Europe (and why a state like California, NY, Il or [thx to Ilhan Omar] Mn isn't an option)...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scoupeo said:

So that leaves Malaysia. Good infrastructure, world class shopping malls and lot of expats, so plenty of European food. Of course you'd have Arabs everywhere and if you've lived in a condo with Arab families you'll know it's almost worse than extended Chinese or Thai families. Easy visas.

Arabs everywhere?  There are not many Arabs in Malaysia, are you trying to say Muslims?  There are like 15,000 Arabs in the whole country.  Easy visa, just what long stay visa in Malaysia is easy and inexpensive?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Arabs everywhere?  There are not many Arabs in Malaysia, are you trying to say Muslims?  There are like 15,000 Arabs in the whole country.  Easy visa, just what long stay visa in Malaysia is easy and inexpensive?

I don't mean muslims, I mean Arabs.

Malaysia is full of Arabs. The entire condo I was at was like Dubai central. Huge families with scores of obnoxious children.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2020 at 9:28 AM, PatchinExPat said:

I about 3500 US Dollars a month to live on of 

which about 350 goes to a heart med for 

atrial fibrillation. The rest usually to an ungrateful

family.

I think you should look at this with  open eyes.     If you ended up with this situation in Thailand,  there's a chance you could end up with the same no matter where you chose to live.

I'd also check on the availability of the medication you require at  whatever place you decide to live.      Certain meds are not always carried by the local  chemist.

Edited by Andy from Kent
medication comment
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- Arriving at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, you might be forgiven for thinking you had landed in the Middle East: In addition to English and Malaysian Bahasa, arrival and departure announcements are made in high-flown Arabic, just one indication that Malaysia is fast becoming a favorite holiday destination for Arabs.

From June to October, Arab tourists increasingly flee the furnace-like temperatures of the Gulf for Malaysia's green landscape and pristine coastal waters. While many hotels all over the country -- from Kota Kinabalu in Sabah to Langkawi near the Thai border -- cater to Arab tourists during the summer season, the trend is most evident in Kuala Lumpur. In fact, the capital city's countenance is gradually losing some of its traditional Southeast Asian features and acquiring Middle Eastern traits.

https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/1154/malaysia-casts-itself-as-friendly-destination-for-arab-tourists

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

I don't mean muslims, I mean Arabs.

Malaysia is full of Arabs. The entire condo I was at was like Dubai central. Huge families with scores of obnoxious children.

Was your Condo building complex named *Malaysia* ?

• Like 1