Bought a condo with girlfriend, but how do I protect my deposit?

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

your joking right ....  !    how the heck do you think you can secure your deposit .

you can't even do that in a civilized country let alone Thailand.

Actually that's not quite true. I bought a house in New Zealand with my ex wife. We bought it in the name of a limited company and the company took a loan from me, and when we unfortunately divorced, the loan had to be paid back. Houses in Auckland are quite pricey and the deposit was $210,000 so it was well worth paying for the legal work before hand. However both the loan, title and limited company were in joint names, so slightly different scenario.

50 minutes ago, London Boy said:

My girlfriend actually works for a bank and has managed to get a ฿3 million mortgage and I'm supplying the ฿1.3 million mortgage from savings in the UK.

I think you meant that you are providing the cash deposit, right?

In the UK you can draw up a legal agreement on how to divide the proceeds of the property in the event that you split up at a later date. It would state how much each party would get if the property is sold and how to assess the amount if one party remains in the property. It would also state in what proportions the ongoing mortgage payments would be made. I did exactly this in the UK many moons ago and we did indeed split a few years later and all was hunky dory and there were no arguments. The house mortgage and ownership was in my name, not joint names.

I don't see why you can't do something similar in your case with your condo. I would advise at the very least that you discuss and agree all of the practical financial aspects and ramifications with your GF anyway. Having done that simply have it all typed up and signed and witnessed.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

for future reference, your post has too much red flag personal information for Thai Visa.

you are optimistic, have a real girlfriend with a good job, mentioned renting verses buying, and expressed a opinion on real estate values. 

Thanks, that so true. I've been in Thailand just over 6 years and worked out I've spent £25,000 in rent (current exchange rate). Chances are I'll be here for another 6 years and dont want that figure to be 50k. Would much rather pay off our own mortgage. Although I don't expect any significant capital gain, the real value is selling of an assest when I'm ready to leave and (hopefully) getting my money back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, London Boy said:

So if we ever split I want that deposit paid back to me. Does anyone have any experience of drawing up a legal document or something similar?

Time to do that was BEFORE shelling out the moolah. I just hope you don't have a joint bank account or tell her how much money you actually have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

I would advise at the very least that you discuss and agree all of the practical financial aspects and ramifications with your GF anyway. Having done that simply have it all typed up and signed and witnessed.

So, you are advising the OP to discuss what happens when the partnership fails. That's going to make her a happy girly, not.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, London Boy said:

Although I don't expect any significant capital gain, the real value is selling of an assest when I'm ready to leave and (hopefully) getting my money back.

You will find here the law(s) lean heavily towards a Thai person and are cumbersome and time consuming...I had a house built here 5 years cost (no pressure from her) 1.3 million baht....it was/is money I can afford to walk away from if needed (not as yet) you should apply the same principle....do NOT spend 1 baht more than you cannot afford to walk away from if needed.

Good luck with the relationship BTW....:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1