Where to repair stand fan?

topt

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I just don't have any faith in lower paid Thai workmanship, especially when it comes to electricity, and as you know, Thailand is  2 PIN plug country, and I doubt there are any safety devices installed in the main electrical panel box.

How would you have any idea what is in the average foreigners distribution panel?

Suggest you have a read of the electrical forum and possibly educate yourself. A lot of the posters talking about experiences with Safe t Cuts and other kinds of circuit breakers.

You have made your view very clear, and that is up to you, but overwhelmingly other respondents seem to disagree. 

Thanks to all (others) for the positive recommendations :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, sungod said:

I have used him a few times over the years, still here to tell the tale and not aware of him killing anyone else yet. Go for it,

This guy is really good.. Don't know where he has learned his skills, but can fix anything electrical used in house I think. Fixed my water heater control board. Fixed my aircon control board. Fan capacitors even can do myself so sure he can change that. 

4 minutes ago, topt said:

How would you have any idea what is in the average foreigners distribution panel?

Suggest you have a read of the electrical forum and possibly educate yourself. A lot of the posters talking about experiences with Safe t Cuts and other kinds of circuit breakers.

You have made your view very clear, and that is up to you, but overwhelmingly other respondents seem to disagree. 

Thanks to all (others) for the positive recommendations :thumbsup:

Has you place got a Sate T Cut?

13 hours ago, giddyup said:

Had the authorised repair man from Franke, the maker of our rangehood, tell us a new motor was required at a cost of 8000 baht, took the motor to a local guy who repaired it for 100 baht. Still going strong 2 years later. A lot of these so called authorised repairmen are rip-off merchants. But hey, if whatever fails/breaks and you see the only answer is to buy a new one, do it, and I'll do it my way.

Very true....  same applies to pool pumps and other equipment, which are very expensive. They always suggest you buy a new one, as if they are on commission. Although their own shop may not even handle motor repair. 

22 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Just open it yourself. Disconnect the condensator and go to the electric repair shop. By new one and replace it. Will cost you 20-30 baht.

will almost certainly need soldering...can you pop round with your tool...:whistling:

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

Then by all means, get a cheap fan repaired by cheap and unskilled Thai labor. 

It,s quite obvious you do not know this chap otherwise you would not have come out with the above comment.....don,t tar all repair guys here with your past experiences....you are becoming a bore on this thread (and others) with your sanctimonious comments....have a nice day now :sad:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petermik said:

will almost certainly need soldering...can you pop round with your tool...:whistling:

Nope, you are totally wrong. They are covered with a movable plastic roll, and after you only cut the wires close to the part you change. After that you open up the vires a little bit more and put the right wire in the holes of the new part. Twist the wires and drag the plastic roll over the open cables again.

After that you can stop whistle. Pop back in your chair and consider your post as well as how wrong you were. Have a nice day. Just whistle if there is something else you want me to explain for you. I aim to please.

Well you could just twist the wires together and wrap  electrical tape  round the joins.. ????

but  be careful of the "condensator"   AKA capacitors   they can hold a nasty (potentially lethal) electrical shock   so always short them ( momentarily connect their black and red wires)  out before installing a new one.. 

Amorn do still carry quite a few spare parts for fans  including complete replacement motors for about 300 baht.

18 minutes ago, johng said:

Amorn do still carry quite a few spare parts for fans  including complete replacement motors for about 300 baht.

Is it still there? I had heard the repair shop had closed.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Is it still there? I had heard the repair shop had closed.

Yes Amorn is still there in the Tukcom basement  but the repair counter/technicians are gone..they still carry lots of spare parts for  fans,washing machines,tvs etc  just like before.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, topt said:

You just can't stop can you.

With that attitude perhaps you ought to live up to your "handle"..........

I'm just not a "fan" of Thai workmanship, especially when it comes to electricity.  ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, petermik said:

It,s quite obvious you do not know this chap otherwise you would not have come out with the above comment.....don,t tar all repair guys here with your past experiences....you are becoming a bore on this thread (and others) with your sanctimonious comments....have a nice day now :sad:

No need for me to tar any repair guys with past experiences, because the negative past experiences of others are well documented on this forum, and many others.  Indeed, many tourists have been sent home in body bags from electrocution in this country, some in bizarre circumstances.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your posts on the next thread which reports a death from poor safety standards here. 

I wish you a good day as well, and remember, the farang who has the biggest Buddha tattoo is more Thai than the next farang.  ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/6/2020 at 6:29 AM, Matzzon said:

Nope, you are totally wrong. They are covered with a movable plastic roll, and after you only cut the wires close to the part you change. After that you open up the vires a little bit more and put the right wire in the holes of the new part. Twist the wires and drag the plastic roll over the open cables again.

After that you can stop whistle. Pop back in your chair and consider your post as well as how wrong you were. Have a nice day. Just whistle if there is something else you want me to explain for you. I aim to please.

Not with my fan sir.....needed soldering....if a job,s worth doing...do it well...not some DIY bodge up job :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Leaver said:

No need for me to tar any repair guys with past experiences, because the negative past experiences of others are well documented on this forum, and many others.  Indeed, many tourists have been sent home in body bags from electrocution in this country, some in bizarre circumstances.

I'll be keeping an eye out for your posts on the next thread which reports a death from poor safety standards here. 

Not from the said gentleman...not all are useless....coming from an engineering background I do have some knowledge of what is a good job and what is not  :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Leaver said:

I wish you a good day as well, and remember, the farang who has the biggest Buddha tattoo is more Thai than the next farang.  ????

I,m sure there,s a moral in the above but it,s just flown over my shoulder....perhaps I,ll get it on it,s way back........:unsure:

30 minutes ago, petermik said:

Not with my fan sir.....needed soldering....if a job,s worth doing...do it well...not some DIY bodge up job :thumbsup:

???????????? No it didn´t need soldering. You felt it needed. I have extended the life span of probably over 50 different fans during my years in Thailand. No one NEEDED soldering. It ould have been done, but not necessary. Therefore not needed. On none of the fans I have changed and repaired was soldering done. All worked fine and many is still working. The cables are pressed in under solid plastic tube and all open cables are covered up.

You can say it´s a DIY work, because that is what I offered as a solution for the OP in this thread from start. The phrase you can´t use is "a bodge up job" due to it´s purpose of use and it´s meaning.

The meaning of a bodge up job is: "to do something badly, especially to make or repair something badly because you do not have enough time or the right materials to do it properly. Most of the joinery work had been bodged. Synonyms and related words. + To make a mistake, or to do something badly."

The reason why you can´t use that description is: It´s safe, covered up and working. It´s therefore not repaired badly. I also used the right materials and I made no mistake. If I made a mistake, I do think that would have been showing when you read the number of fans that my work regards.

Again, just whistle and blink with you eye as well as play with your thumb when you sit down thinking about how wrong you are. Have a nice day, Sir.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

???????????? No it didn´t need soldering. You felt it needed. I have extended the life span of probably over 50 different fans during my years in Thailand. No one NEEDED soldering. It ould have been done, but not necessary. Therefore not needed. On none of the fans I have changed and repaired was soldering done. All worked fine and many is still working. The cables are pressed in under solid plastic tube and all open cables are covered up.

You can say it´s a DIY work, because that is what I offered as a solution for the OP in this thread from start. The phrase you can´t use is "a bodge up job" due to it´s purpose of use and it´s meaning.

The meaning of a bodge up job is: "to do something badly, especially to make or repair something badly because you do not have enough time or the right materials to do it properly. Most of the joinery work had been bodged. Synonyms and related words. + To make a mistake, or to do something badly."

The reason why you can´t use that description is: It´s safe, covered up and working. It´s therefore not repaired badly. I also used the right materials and I made no mistake. If I made a mistake, I do think that would have been showing when you read the number of fans that my work regards.

Again, just whistle and blink with you eye as well as play with your thumb when you sit down thinking about how wrong you are. Have a nice day, Sir.

Next time if I have any repair issues I,ll check with you first, any chap with your knowledge is well worth knowing :thumbsup:

On 6/5/2020 at 7:03 PM, Matzzon said:

Just open it yourself. Disconnect the condensator and go to the electric repair shop. By new one and replace it. Will cost you 20-30 baht.

They are cheap parts. But depending on their rating capacitors can be dangerous if they still hold their charge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

They are cheap parts. But depending on their rating capacitors can be dangerous if they still hold their charge.

Don,t start sir....Matzzon is the expert here :unsure:

Your very welcome....Toolmaker actually at British Aerospace Chadderton Greater Manchester :thumbsup:

Then I guess a small thing like fans is over your head.

Don,t start sir....Matzzon is the expert here :unsure:

Never said that, but you are the one that states they needed soldering. That is not needed out of the reason it´s no moving part in that place and that the cables av pressed together and covered with plastic tube. It´s actually really simple, if you don´t make it needed to be an engineer to understand that. ????

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

You should never do anything regarding electricity if you do not own the necessary knowledge about what you are doing.

• Like 1