Nigerian gang busted for large scale "Romance Scam" in Thailand

webfact

Nigerian gang busted for large scale "Romance Scam" in Thailand

5pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Police in the south of Thailand have announced the arrest of four Nigerians and a Myanmar man who were running an international Romance Scam conning lonely Thai women out of money.

Three of the latest victims were from Ranong and one parted with 2 million baht before the penny dropped that she had been ripped off. 

The scams followed a familiar pattern with such cases. Using fake IDs the gang pretended to be respectable people like doctors or US military men seeking friendship with Thai ladies on Facebook, Instagram and Line. 

They expressed their love of Thailand and a wish to settle in the kingdom. Then gifts were promised and "evidence" sent. 

But the promised goods - including mountains of dollars - got stuck in customs and the victims needed to pay duty to get them released. The gang supplied bank accounts to use.

84799.jpg

Losses amounted to 10 million baht.

The "Deepfake" video system was also used to trick the victims into believing their stories. 

Four Nigerian men and a Myanmar man were arrested in both Hua Hin (where drugs were found) and Ranong. 

At least four appeared to be on long overstay according to pictures published by 77kaoded following a top brass press conference in Ranong. 

84798.jpg

Computer equipment and yaba and ganja were among the many items taken into evidence.

Unusually for such stories no mention was made of Thai women aiding and abetting in the crime, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-02

21 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

That golden oldie is still doing well then.

I stopped a staff member sending 20,000 Baht to "Malaysian customs" for a cash package, intercepted while on its way to Thailand for the same reason fifteen years ago.

Good thinking Batman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:
24 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I stopped a staff member sending 20,000 Baht to "Malaysian customs" for a cash package, intercepted while on its way to Thailand for the same reason fifteen years ago.

Good thinking Batman

It was a 'Dutch' guy who found the Thai member of staff through Skype.

He then smooth-talked her and offered her a job in Holland looking after his children. He would provide her with a work permit and good salary.

Initially he was sending her cash via a courier, for a plane ticket and a Dutch visa.

The "Malaysian customs" official had an Arabic name and needed to be paid via Moneygram. Yeah sure...

Oddly enough I only got involved because the girl asked me how to send cash using Moneygram.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:
1 hour ago, webfact said:

one parted with 2 million baht before the penny dropped that she had been ripped off. 

If she's already done 2 mill' I can't imagine a penny is gonna make much difference ..

They must be pretty old public toilets anyway.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

They must be pretty old public toilets anyway.

Chance'll be a fine thing to find a public khazi nowadays .. And the ones at the gas stations the minivans stop at on the Cambodia border runs always seem to have kite flyers hanging around them .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, varun said:

Despite the disdain that Thai's have for people of color, 

a Thai teamed up with a Nigerian would be a scam-making match made in heaven

A Thaigerian gang, fused together by the only thing that they have in common: making money without having to actually earn it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I find that hard to believe no Thai women involved, who opened the bank accounts for them and normally they are the one who pretend to be from the customs dept getting the money transfers

Maybe an influential person

5 hours ago, webfact said:

But the promised goods - including mountains of dollars - got stuck in customs and the victims needed to pay duty to get them released. The gang supplied bank accounts to use

The greed exceeding the brains again...

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Most Thai girls I've spoken to have said that they don't find black guys attractive and the same applies to Indians. The only Thai girls I've seen with a black guy have been on the plump side and the same applies to the Indians.

The chances of any of these blacks admitting their real ethnicity for the scam are five-eighths of fck-all.

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

I find it hard to believe that Nigerians were scamming, it's so out of character.

They probably needed convincing done by a higher up general with many rings on his fingers and many wristwatches.

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Another golden oldie still doing very well is farang pensioners and poor economic migrants thinking that a Thai girl 20-30 years younger with nothing in common and whom they met online or in a bar or shop is genuinely and deeply in love with them for their handsome looks and nothing to do with money.