Nigerian gang busted for large scale "Romance Scam" in Thailand

webfact

From the photos in the OP, you must admit they were a good looking bunch of scamps. Not surprising that the Thai ladies were throwing their money at them, don't want to let that catch get away.

But seriously, after all the scams that Thai ladies have dreamed up you would have to think how is it possible to turn it around on them.

15 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I find that hard to believe no Thai women involved, who opened the bank accounts for them and normally they are the one who pretend to be from the customs dept getting the money transfers

Interesting that some arrests were made in Hua Hin I know an old guy there who has major problems with his wife’s invisable boyfriend who is going to do wonderful things for her .She has spent all her savings and wants to kick my friend out after being together for many years.I told her and him that the unseen BF was sitting inside a container in Nigeria smoking a havanna cigar,possibly may have been in Hua hin with his laptop and cigar 

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It was a 'Dutch' guy who found the Thai member of staff through Skype.

He then smooth-talked her and offered her a job in Holland looking after his children. He would provide her with a work permit and good salary.

Initially he was sending her cash via a courier, for a plane ticket and a Dutch visa.

The "Malaysian customs" official had an Arabic name and needed to be paid via Moneygram. Yeah sure...

Oddly enough I only got involved because the girl asked me how to send cash using Moneygram.

I don't know if still the case but similar scammers used to frequently work the "DATE IN ASIA" dating website.  A couple of girls I knew who used that site got snagged.  The scammers even provided a "Tracking " website for the so called package.  If you studied the letters, it was clear they were boilerplate, sent to thousands of women at the same time.

37 minutes ago, dddave said:

I don't know if still the case but similar scammers used to frequently work the "DATE IN ASIA" dating website.  A couple of girls I knew who used that site got snagged.  The scammers even provided a "Tracking " website for the so called package.  If you studied the letters, it was clear they were boilerplate, sent to thousands of women at the same time.

Yes, I remember browsing a scam-baiting forum a few years back showing details of a tracking website run by scammers.

IIRC it didn't matter what details you entered, it just kept showing as 'in transit'.