What type of drill?

thequietman

Brother-in-law is doing work around the house for me, and I want to treat him to a new drill, as he has to borrow from friends.

Don't want to spend a fortune, around 1500 baht.

Any suggestions for a drill that he can use with wood and stone?  Many thanks for your input and experiences. ????

Individual drills decide about the materials. Drills normally come in size-packages from cheap to not-so-cheap, depends on how much he will use them.

Machines in all sizes and forms, with battery packs or pure electric, and all sizes from weak to powerful. Again, all depends on how much he will use it and for what kind of work.

31 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Brother-in-law is doing work around the house for me, and I want to treat him to a new drill, as he has to borrow from friends.

Don't want to spend a fortune, around 1500 baht.

Any suggestions for a drill that he can use with wood and stone?  Many thanks for your input and experiences.

I’ve got this 

3852C245-046A-448D-B22F-824934B928F0.jpeg.592d8f989105d0a5f355135d34e5345a.jpeg997F1261-F605-4647-A119-739AA8554B89.jpeg.a5a4422bcd22319156acff6316de2756.jpeg

• Like 1

Unless he's stuck at a work station of sorts, cordless is the only way to go, in my opinion. I just bought a Dewalt from Home Pro. It wasn't cheap though. I think it was close to 6k and came with two batteries, carrying case, and an accessory case of bits and screw heads, etc... Certainly there are cheaper units. But a drill is the kind of tool with so many applications around the house and yard and car that not having to plug it in makes it so easy and pleasurable to use. You or your brother-in-law will just be looking for excuses to pull it out.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Individual drills decide about the materials. Drills normally come in size-packages from cheap to not-so-cheap, depends on how much he will use them.

Machines in all sizes and forms, with battery packs or pure electric, and all sizes from weak to powerful. Again, all depends on how much he will use it and for what kind of work.

Mostly masonery work, I wud imagine, as he does plastering and building in general. He can work with wood also. 

The wife has asked around, and the builder friends are shouting about this brand. See link. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/283909146100647/?surface=product_details

The specs are : 100% BONCHI impact drill GSB 16 RE ???? Price 790 baht. Free shipping.

Features - compact body And easily reach the work site in a narrow place - motor power 750 watts, durable to use - durable ball bearings Long life - power 750 watts - speed 0-3400 rev / min - impact rate 0-44,800 times / minute - drilling mortar up to 16 mm - drilling steel / wood maximum / mortar 10/25/16 m M - chuck size 13 mm - switch left / right - speed control system there - weight 1.8 kg.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thequietman said:

The wife has asked around, and the builder friends are shouting about this brand. See link. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/283909146100647/?surface=product_details

The specs are : 100% BONCHI impact drill GSB 16 RE ???? Price 790 baht. Free shipping.

Features - compact body And easily reach the work site in a narrow place - motor power 750 watts, durable to use - durable ball bearings Long life - power 750 watts - speed 0-3400 rev / min - impact rate 0-44,800 times / minute - drilling mortar up to 16 mm - drilling steel / wood maximum / mortar 10/25/16 m M - chuck size 13 mm - switch left / right - speed control system there - weight 1.8 kg.

What do you guys think?

I think you get what you pay for, to a degree. I bought a Pumkin drill, similar to the one I just bought, it's in the trash....All a bit of a gamble if you are not paying for brand names...

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's a big difference if he drills small holes in wood or big hole in concrete.

And, as others mentioned, cordless or not is important.

Find out what he needs before you buy one.

If Ilet him pick, he will choose the most expensive one out there,and then I will disappoint him, when I say TOO MUCH. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thequietman said:
13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's a big difference if he drills small holes in wood or big hole in concrete.

And, as others mentioned, cordless or not is important.

Find out what he needs before you buy one.

If Ilet him pick, he will choose the most expensive one out there,and then I will disappoint him, when I say TOO MUCH. ????

I understand that problem.

This is why I wrote: "Find out what he needs before you buy one."

You won't get a decent drill for 1500B for big holes in concrete. You will be able to get something for small holes in concrete and/or holes in wood. You/he obviously also need drill-bits.

If your budget is not good enough for a drill and drill-bits which he needs then maybe it's better if you only buy him the drill bits which he needs. And maybe he can share them with the guy who owns the drill.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thequietman said:

What do you guys think?

Utter rubbish! 

If he needs to drill in concrete / masonry he needs a rotary hammer like the first one pictured. Which can also be used occasionally like a jackhammer to chip small concrete jobs make holes for water pipes etc..

• Thanks 2

If just for the occasional DIY job, then one of the previously linked ones will do.

However, if he is a "tradesman" then something more durable and long lasting would be more economical in the long run.

You really do get what you pay for with power tools...

Before I bought any power tool in Thailand, I would want to know WHO and WHERE it will be fixed under warranty, and if the seller will fix after the warranty period. I have had a bit of experience with tool companies in Thailand and the level of support for tool owners can vary greatly.  Registering the warranty and keeping a copy of the original receipt can make for far better service in my experience. The OP might want to go to a shop that sells and REPAIRS tools at the shop. If the OP attends a "Bosch Roadshow" they offer real product information and special road show discounts. I have found Milwaukee Tools provided excellent tool owner support in Thailand. I own several Makita power tools and Makita garden tools with very little need of repairs for many years. Makita parts, by and large, are in stock in Thailand. Maktec might be the sensible brand for the OP.  Same Makita assembly plants make Maktec as Makita, same dealer support, but less robust components in the tool. EVERY Maktec and Makita tool is tested in the Makita factory that I visited. 

Newsletter Bosch Roadshow Hands On Demo.jpg

Newsletter Bosch Tools Roadshow attendee exclusive extra Discount.JPG

Buriram Milwaukee Power Tools March 2020.jpg

Buriram Makita 18 volt Tools Newsletter.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps this Borch 2-26 at 1,600 baht on Lazada?  Bosch is far and away the choice here for workers.  This has drill/concrete/chisel functions so should be good for most things (not requiring larger bits).

image.jpeg.9eb0540669f8a8a9ba5569d6f36beab4.jpeg

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/3-bosch-2-26-aaa-3-i757362909-s1452502498.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.11b866eb9oRmKn&search=1

I have serious doubts that this is a genuine Bosch drill. If you compare with the larger building suppliers like Global, Home Pro etc. the price for this drill model is four times higher and the drill looks different.

From Home Pro (same as your pic):
image.png.1eafea6e6befecbe72aba08da4e444fb.png

The Lazada "Bosch" drill:
image.png.cccf00f347867a341f569aa617ef22e6.png

Among other things the drill has a different blue colour, the selector decal is white instead of red and above the selector it says "HAMMERDRILL" instead of "Boschhammer". It also just looks cheaper compared to the genuine article.

I don't think you can get a genuine Bosch hammer drill for anything close to the price quoted on Lazada.

As an aside, up here in the North I haven't seen any professional builder use Bosch. The equipment of choice seems to be Makita.

Edit: Here is an Intech 2-26 drill that looks like it came from the same factory as the Bosch one.image.png.1d211810943712a9afadd2df4309dbba.png

Edited by Sophon
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sophon said:

I don't think you can get a genuine Bosch hammer drill for anything close to the price quoted on Lazada.

As an aside, up here in the North I haven't seen any professional builder use Bosch. The equipment of choice seems to be Makita.

I suspect you are right as just checked the one page and noted almost 100 sold.  In Bangkok all work crews we have used did have Bosch drills (but then again may not be real).  Check on Lazada shows much higher prices from official store.  But for OP with budget of 1,500 baht believe it might be a good option as has a name he can show and will probably perform OK.  

1 hour ago, Sophon said:

I have serious doubts that this is a genuine Bosch drill. If you compare with the larger building suppliers like Global, Home Pro etc. the price for this drill model is four times higher and the drill looks different.

Among other things the drill has a different blue colour, the selector decal is white instead of red and above the selector it says "HAMMERDRILL" instead of "Boschhammer". It also just looks cheaper compared to the genuine article.

Edit: Here is an Intech 2-26 drill that looks like it came from the same factory as the Bosch one.image.png.1d211810943712a9afadd2df4309dbba.png

That In-tech has gotten lots of good reviews from happy Thai customers on Lazada. It might be an option. I agree about the copy Bosch.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, kamalabob2 said:

Before I bought any power tool in Thailand, I would want to know WHO and WHERE it will be fixed under warranty, and if the seller will fix after the warranty period. I have had a bit of experience with tool companies in Thailand and the level of support for tool owners can vary greatly.  Registering the warranty and keeping a copy of the original receipt can make for far better service in my experience. The OP might want to go to a shop that sells and REPAIRS tools at the shop. If the OP attends a "Bosch Roadshow" they offer real product information and special road show discounts. I have found Milwaukee Tools provided excellent tool owner support in Thailand. I own several Makita power tools and Makita garden tools with very little need of repairs for many years. Makita parts, by and large, are in stock in Thailand. Maktec might be the sensible brand for the OP.  Same Makita assembly plants make Maktec as Makita, same dealer support, but less robust components in the tool. EVERY Maktec and Makita tool is tested in the Makita factory that I visited. 

Newsletter Bosch Roadshow Hands On Demo.jpg

Newsletter Bosch Tools Roadshow attendee exclusive extra Discount.JPG

Buriram Milwaukee Power Tools March 2020.jpg

Buriram Makita 18 volt Tools Newsletter.jpg

I did have a nice Hitachi drill, I bought it because the big DIY store had an in house  Hitachi repair station. The drill packed up after a couple of years with little use, took it back, sorry, we don't repair Hitachi tools anymore...????

1 hour ago, Sophon said:

Note also that it comes with three months warranty from seller - so no Bosch warranty.

2 hours ago, Mahseer said:

If he's doing mainly masonry then whatever make you decide on make sure it has a hammer function. If you decide cordless then make sure you go for 18volts.

20v lithium ion better no ?