What type of drill?

thequietman

25 minutes ago, mr mr said:

20v lithium ion better no ? 

I would not even consider a battery operated item for a professional worker (even if light duty) - home owners can wait to charge a battery but not construction work.  

I had very good luck with Maktec tools in BKK, which is the budget brand from Makita.  Had a couple of drills in different sizes, circular saw, jigsaw, grinder.  All worked well.

Though it appears that Makita changed the Maktec brand to Makita MT because (I suspect) people thought Maktec was a knock-off brand and not actually made by Makita.  Whether that's in Thailand or not, I cannot say.

Edit:  I'd add that I burned up a no-name drill and a no-name grinder in no time at all before I settled on the Maktec tools after I researched that they were actually made by Makita.

Edited by impulse

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I would not even consider a battery operated item for a professional worker (even if light duty) - home owners can wait to charge a battery but not construction work.  

Professionals don't typically buy hobby/weekend warrior spec tools, they buy the industrial versions and a few extra batteries.

My Makita 18v Brushless drill/driver and hammer drill combo kit I brought with me from Aus last year cost me Bt.20,000 with 2 extra 5aH batteries.

Good luck finding a tradie (In Aus ) that does not use battery tools all day long.

You can't go wrong with Bosch or Makita but i would increase your budget if possible.

Cordless are fine in wood but for concrete or steel then anything above 6mm its just easier to get out the big boy. I normally use a combination of both.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thequietman said:

The wife has asked around, and the builder friends are shouting about this brand. See link. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/283909146100647/?surface=product_details

The specs are : 100% BONCHI impact drill GSB 16 RE ???? Price 790 baht. Free shipping.

Features - compact body And easily reach the work site in a narrow place - motor power 750 watts, durable to use - durable ball bearings Long life - power 750 watts - speed 0-3400 rev / min - impact rate 0-44,800 times / minute - drilling mortar up to 16 mm - drilling steel / wood maximum / mortar 10/25/16 m M - chuck size 13 mm - switch left / right - speed control system there - weight 1.8 kg.

What do you guys think?

Chinese knock-off

You get what you pay for.

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Professionals don't typically buy hobby/weekend warrior spec tools, they buy the industrial versions and a few extra batteries.

My Makita 18v Brushless drill/driver and hammer drill combo kit I brought with me from Aus last year cost me Bt.20,000 with 2 extra 5aH batteries.

Good luck finding a tradie (In Aus ) that does not use battery tools all day long.

I have a couple of Makita's as well

Never should cheap out if you need tools to work for a living

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

But this is Thailand where we have electric even in the outback ???? - they just are not needed here and an extra expense/weight for no good reason for most people.  Not many work crews can justify 20k for a drill set.

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But this is Thailand where we have electric even in the outback ???? - they just are not needed here and an extra expense/weight for no good reason for most people.  Not many work crews can justify 20k for a drill set.

This is Thailand were even expats don't like to pay  for decent quality tools.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

This is a suburb of China so expats or experts do not have to pay for the highest quality item - cheap works for most things - this is not a place where guarantees mean that much or spare parts are available so better to to have funds to buy new than be without for months.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

This is a suburb of China so expats or experts do not have to pay for the highest quality item - cheap works for most things - this is not a place where guarantees mean that much or spare parts are available so better to to have funds to buy new than be without for months.

Over the years Ive found (with Makita) locally purchased battery tools die a lot quicker than those Ive brought from Aus.

like for like the tools here and Aus have different part numbers, I suspect a cheaper quality is made for the Asian markets.

Same as my Bluepoint tools ive purchased at Hardwarehouse, they have different part numbers for the identical sets in Aus and googling the part numbers the only hits are from SEA countries.... somewhat explains why they are cheaper here but thats based on personal opinion.

Edited by Don Mega

21 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You obviously don't do construction do you?

Battery operated tools are everywhere in the construction industry.

And of course, you have to be smart enough to have more than 1 battery.

I put up 600+ feet of wood fence panels, 6" wide panels with a battery operated driver and still had power left to spare.

Not only that battery operated lawn tools are awesome these days.

I have a 40V battery powered lawnmover, weed eater, blower, all work better than gas.

Have an 80V chainsaw that will cut down a tree of any size.

In the USA battery power is the way to go.

tools.png

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Most brand names in the USA Dewalt, Makita, Bosch are less than 4500 baht with most sales at around 3000 baht

tools.png

20 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Over the years Ive found (with Makita) locally purchased battery tools die a lot quicker than those Ive brought from Aus.

like for like the tools here and Aus have different part numbers, I suspect a cheaper quality is made for the Asian markets.

Same as my Bluepoint tools ive purchased at Hardwarehouse, they have different part numbers for the identical sets in Aus and googling the part numbers the only hits are from SEA countries.... somewhat explains why they are cheaper here but thats based on personal opinion.

I have seen counterfeit Makita made in China and the batteries are definitely not the originals

8 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps this Borch 2-26 at 1,600 baht on Lazada?  Bosch is far and away the choice here for workers.  This has drill/concrete/chisel functions so should be good for most things (not requiring larger bits).

image.jpeg.9eb0540669f8a8a9ba5569d6f36beab4.jpeg

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/3-bosch-2-26-aaa-3-i757362909-s1452502498.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.11b866eb9oRmKn&search=1

I have the same in the US , I have it for many may years cant remember how long but more than 5 years

.and I never had a problem with it. It works the same today as when I bought it. Certainly a good buy. 

10 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

In the USA battery power is the way to go.

But we are talking Thailand - where there is no easy after sales service or parts - where batteries have a track record for extremely short life - where most workers are hand to mouth on the pay scale and where name brands are often sold at Rolex prices due restricted distributions.  

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But we are talking Thailand - where there is no easy after sales service or parts - where batteries have a track record for extremely short life - where most workers are hand to mouth on the pay scale and where name brands are often sold at Rolex prices due restricted distributions.  

Agree.

You never know what you are getting in Thailand with so much counterfeit junk coming in from China.

17 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Ive had no issue buying parts for Makita tools here, did have to wait a few weeks for a new trigger for a drill to be imported as the locally available one was not compatible but locally purchased tools they had parts within days if they did not have stock.

https://www.makita.co.th/en/dealer/place/eastern/chonburi

you can probably guess Iam a Makita Fanboi, for other brands ive no experience with for parts.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Unless he's stuck at a work station of sorts, cordless is the only way to go, in my opinion. I just bought a Dewalt from Home Pro. It wasn't cheap though. I think it was close to 6k and came with two batteries, carrying case, and an accessory case of bits and screw heads, etc... Certainly there are cheaper units. But a drill is the kind of tool with so many applications around the house and yard and car that not having to plug it in makes it so easy and pleasurable to use. You or your brother-in-law will just be looking for excuses to pull it out.

Totally agree mate. I bought what sounds like the same/similar Dewalt from Lazada that you did, including the drill bits and screw driver attachments. It's the dogs "crown jewels" as far as I am concerned. I substituted "crown jewels" for a censored word that begins with a "b" and rhymes with "pollocks".

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

Always remember 

1. " The quality lives on long after the price is forgotten"

2. Many Thais simply do not respect or look after their tools.

3. Cordless tools are great, and any tradesman using such will always have spare batteries and charger available. If you have power available for corded tools then you can use cordless also.  Cabled tools are generally more powerful than cordless.

4. Most of the tools advertised on Facebook are copies or cheap Chinese tools that have limited life and no self respecting tradesman would use them. Better to buy genuine tools from good hardware stores.

Everyone has an opinion about power tools, some guys swear by De Walt others swear at them. Bosch, Milwaukee, Ryobi, Makita, and several other brands are usually sold at Home Pro in Thailand. Nash tools from Do-Home I have also found reliable but I am a hobbyist not a tradesman. 

• Like 2

First, were I buying a gift for someone I would buy something nicer than what they would get for themselves. B1,500 does not buy much in the way of a decent hammer drill, and even less in a battery powered hammer drill. With that budget You might get a decent AC Stanley or Ryobi or Maktec, but you will not get any decent battery hammer drill for that money.

I bought a great Makita for all around use and at 3,200 RPM it makes quick work of holes in concrete. Came as a kit with a real  nice case and a decent set of bits. It is also something you brother in law would be proud of.  Battery tools are nice, and I have quite a few, but bang-for-buck they are not that great.

drill.JPG.c52333a078ba2e2c0ba512496e8260ea.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

First, were I buying a gift for someone I would buy something nicer than what they would get for themselves. B1,500 does not buy much in the way of a decent hammer drill, and even less in a battery powered hammer drill. With that budget You might get a decent AC Stanley or Ryobi or Maktec, but you will not get any decent battery hammer drill for that money.

I bought a great Makita for all around use and at 3,200 RPM it makes quick work of holes in concrete. Came as a kit with a real  nice case and a decent set of bits. It is also something you brother in law would be proud of.  Battery tools are nice, and I have quite a few, but bang-for-buck they are not that great.

drill.JPG.c52333a078ba2e2c0ba512496e8260ea.JPG

The problem with that is that it’s far less capable than an SDS drill for concrete. I have hammer drills and they are nowhere near the capabilities of my SDS.

We have concrete walls where a hammer drill will struggle or just fail, but if I swap to the SDS it’s a simple job. The downside of the SDS is that it’s a beast, probably twice the size of the hammer drill.
But for holes in concrete buying a hammer drill is a very poor choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The problem with that is that it’s far less capable than an SDS drill for concrete. I have hammer drills and they are nowhere near the capabilities of my SDS.

We have concrete walls where a hammer drill will struggle or just fail, but if I swap to the SDS it’s a simple job. The downside of the SDS is that it’s a beast, probably twice the size of the hammer drill.
But for holes in concrete buying a hammer drill is a very poor choice.

I have an SDS, a battery drill-driver and this hammer drill. Is the SDS better for drilling large holes is concrete? Absolutely. Is the SDS the best choice for and all-around drill on a budget which is what I think the OP was after? I don't think so. 

To be clear, I have had a number of decent hammer drills and none of them comes close to the 32,000 RPM Makita, I was amazed at how well it drilled concrete. And to be clear, most of the holes a handy-man is going to drill around the house are not in concrete. The Makita goes through mortar and brick like ninety going north....

Edited by Yellowtail
w. w.
  • Like 2

From my experience Thais are reluctant to use things that they don't see other Thais using. Cordless has been slow to catch.

They don't look after tools, which is fine if it's a good brand. Worst of all they lend them and never get them back. I've given up buying the in laws tools.

For B1,500 I would look for a second hand Bosch or Makita. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I'm like you, bought all my cordless tools over from U.K, little by little in checked luggage (batteries in carry on).

My wife is under strict instructions not to lend them to anyone, I don't care who or why ????

I have a couple Maktec tools that she can lend to people who really need something done....

29 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm like you, bought all my cordless tools over from U.K, little by little in checked luggage (batteries in carry on).

My wife is under strict instructions not to lend them to anyone, I don't care who or why ????

I have a couple Maktec tools that she can lend to people who really need something done....

My missus considers herself to be a bit of a handy (wo)man and to be honest she goes ok, she aint touching my tools though.

for cordless stuff she has local purchased AEG and I Gotta admit its pretty good for the price.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I have an SDS, a battery drill-driver and this hammer drill. Is the SDS better for drilling large holes is concrete? Absolutely. Is the SDS the best choice for and all-around drill on a budget which is what I think the OP was after? I don't think so. 

To be clear, I have had a number of decent hammer drills and none of them comes close to the 32,000 RPM Makita, I was amazed at how well it drilled concrete. And to be clear, most of the holes a handy-man is going to drill around the house are not in concrete. The Makita goes through mortar and brick like ninety going north....

The Mikita tools are excellent but however good that one is it can’t hold a candle to an SDS (The SDS I have is a bit less than yours) for the jobs listed in post number 8.

It seems that the proposed recipient is far from a “handyman”.

The best idea is to ask him which of the 2 is better for him, they are both about 25% ~ 30% more than the OPs suggested price. They are both good tools.

If I didn’t have a 50 year old hammer drill that is still as good as the day I bought it I would consider the Mikita my self, though the Mikita I bought recently was specifically the drill/driver only.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

I have a garage fulls of must haves. Pressure Washers, Chargers, Power Tools. You name it, its most likely in there. Used once. I wish i knew  what i know now, when i was younger. Try selling it, worth nothing as one can see at local markets. Good Buys for someone though.

4 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

I have a garage fulls of must haves. Pressure Washers, Chargers, Power Tools. You name it, its most likely in there. Used once. I wish i knew  what i know now, when i was younger. Try selling it, worth nothing as one can see at local markets. Good Buys for someone though.

Yep when I went home to Aus after being here for 12 years I sold all my tools and equipment at a massive loss thinking I would not be returning.

now that Iam back it is proving spending to gain it all back however its now Makita and bluepoint Rather than Metabo and snap-on !!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Genuine Bosch Tools are sold in Homepro, Global House, Thai Watsadu in Buriram. Genuine Bosch are also sold on Lazada by authorized Bosch Tools dealers such as Ruangsangthai. Different stores have storefronts on Lazada. Check the store ratings. Often you can see the sellers real location on Google maps. I'm a huge advocate of stores that will fix items they sell. Hence I support selected family owned appliance and air conditioning shops. Or stores that really fix water pumps on site 7 days a week.  

Buriram Thailand Bosch Tools Delivery June 14.jpg

Buriram Thailand Water Pump Repairs Sunday.jpg