Multi-entry marriage visa border run question

So I'm supposed to do a border run to get the next section of my multi-entry marriage visa activated on the 5th, but with the borders closed what am I supposed to do?

What is the most current information if anybody can tell me?

Am I covered under that amnesty till July 31st or whatever it is, or do I need to go to the local immigration office here in Chiang Mai?

45 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Since the borders are closed you are covered  by the Amnesty untill they are open and you can do a regular border run. Keep up on changes by following Thai Visa or  news.

There is nothing in the order about "when borders are open."  We hope the borders will be open by then, or the "automatic extension" period will be extended.  But, they may just expect us to be "gone" by July 31, regardless of whether returing to Thailand with new Visas / Visa-entries is possible. 

If no good news by July 10 or so, probably wise to find another country where one can stay for awhile. 

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

There is nothing in the order about "when borders are open."  We hope the borders will be open by then, or the "automatic extension" period will be extended.  But, they may just expect us to be "gone" by July 31, regardless of whether returing to Thailand with new Visas / Visa-entries is possible. 

If no good news by July 10 or so, probably wise to find another country where one can stay for awhile. 

You seem a bit pessimistic. Take a chill pill and wait it out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Except that other countries are also likely to remain closed until further notice.

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

While I agree with many of his posts, he's always pessimistic and likes to make Thailand out to be the worst country in the world. As a matter of fact, Thailand has been more generous to foreigners over this period than a lot of neighboring countries. For instance, has Myanmar granted an amnesty to foreigners? Not that I'm aware of. They normally don't even extend tourist visas, so I'd be very surprised.

How about Laos? They are currently extending visas one month at a time, but you need to pay for the service.

Vietnam? Automatic extension expires June 30. No idea what will happen after that.

China? They are allowing some sort of extension but the process seems convoluted and complicated.

This thread raises the question of how the entry requirements are applied when Thailand decides which nationalities are allowed to enter when the borders begin to open again.

Although the holder of a Multi Entry Non O can show where they have been living for the preceeding 3 months through the entry and exit stamps in their passport, their status is not that of a resident in Thailand.  Therefore, if entry is granted depending on the country that issued their passport or where they have legal residence there could be problems.  I can see a situation where someone leaves, tries to re-enter and is refused.

I realise there is an amnesty at the moment but if I was the OP  I think I'd be heading to my local immigration office and changing to a 12 month extension. I'd be very wary of leaving Thailand.

Remember this, although (as far as I know) there is no law preventing 'living' in Thailand on back to back Non O entries, it is not what they are actually issued for.  People living with their wife in Thailand should be on a 12 month extension based on marriage and be able to comply with the requirements for that extension.

Edited by KhaoYai
Wrong Information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

This thread raises the question of how the entry requirements are applied when Thailand decides which nationalities are allowed to enter when the borders begin to open again.

Although the holder of a Multi Entry Non O can show where they have been living for the preceeding 3 months through the entry and exit stamps in their passport, their status is not that of a resident in Thailand.  Therefore, if entry is granted depending on the country that issued their passport or where they have legal residence there could be problems.  I can see a situation where someone leaves, tries to re-enter and is refused.

I realise there is an amnesty at the moment but if I was the OP  I think I'd be heading to my local immigration office and changing to a 12 month extension. I'd be very wary of leaving Thailand.

Remember this, although (as far as I know) there is no law preventing 'living' in Thailand on back to back Non O entries, it is not what they are actually issued for.  People living with their wife in Thailand should be on a 12 month extension based on marriage and be able to comply with the requirements for that extension.

That's a complicated one. Many people live on Thailand on non-O multi entries and don't have a foreign place of permanent residence. Although I have not cut ties with home, I consider myself a resident of Thailand.

At this point we have no idea of how the re-opening will proceed, but a non-O multi entry is issued to foreigners married to Thai citizens, so there is a chance that even if tourists and general business travelers aren't allowed in (or with restrictions) those on multi non-Os might be. Or they might negotiate with Myanmar to allow a same day stamp-in, stamp-out while awaiting the borders to re-open properly.

36 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Many people live on Thailand on non-O multi entries and don't have a foreign place of permanent residence. Although I have not cut ties with home, I consider myself a resident of Thailand.

The only folk that a resident are the very small % that have PR. 

I have been here several years on retirement extensions. I am here on TEMPORARY  permission of stay.

Post #8 has a good point and those folk from non o multi (married) are caught out.

So many thinking that can do border bounce as in the past need plan B.

42 minutes ago, drbeach said:

At this point we have no idea of how the re-opening will proceed, but a non-O multi entry is issued to foreigners married to Thai citizens, so there is a chance that even if tourists and general business travelers aren't allowed in (or with restrictions) those on multi non-Os might be. Or they might negotiate with Myanmar to allow a same day stamp-in, stamp-out while awaiting the borders to re-open properly.

You are correct that we have no idea how re-opening will proceed but given that uncertainty, it would be wise to plan now.  I use my Non O Multi in the correct way and therefore have not looked in any exact detail at the requirements for an extension.  I know that with retirement extensions there is a requirement to have money in a Thai bank account before and after applying for an extension (or an income).

From memory the financial requirements for an extension based on marriage are 400,000 in the bank or an income of 40,000 per month. I am unsure as to whether the money in the bank has to be there for a set duration prior to an application or how long income has to be shown for. Depending on the answers to the above, that could mean that anyone considering changing to an extension needs to get their skates on.

I would not rely on being allowed back in - over recent years it has been becoming increasingly common for immigration officers to execute 'discretion' at points of entry.  Just as they have refused to allow those with a lot of 30 day stamps to enter, they could just as easily state that they consider the Non O is being abused, the holder should be on an extension and refuse entry.

None of that may happen but once your on the wrong side of the border, you're out and at the moment, you will have no idea when you will be allowed back.

I would make one futher point as to how the rules may be applied.  Purely to illustrate the possible current direction that Thai Immigration may be heading with their policies............

Those embassies and consulates that have changed over to E visa no longer offer multi entry Non O's - only a single entry 3 month visa is available.  More problematic is the fact that the only people eligible to apply are citizens of that country or those who are legally resident.

That is why I suggest that its possible that your passport or legal residence could be the determining factors as to whether or not you're allowed back in on a 'visa run'.

So for example, if a British passport holder is staying in Thailand on a Multi Non O based on marriage and visits Laos to obtain a fresh 90 day stamp - they are not legally 'resident' in either country. If the UK is not considered as a 'Covid Controlled Zone' (which it most certainly wouldn't be at the moment) and they do apply the residence requirement, that person won't be allowed to re-enter.

It is of course possible that the previous stamps in your passport will be accepted as proof that you have been in Thailand for the previous 3 months and allowed in but I wouldn't bank on it.

I can see a time coming where Non O border bounces and marriage extensions will be done away with and anyone wishing to stay here long term will have to go for 1 ) retirement Visa 2) Permanent residence 3 ) elite visa

Both the border bounce method and marriage extensions have been abused ( fake marriages and permanent bouncing ) so will likely either be tightened up or scrapped.

If I were a concerned long stayer ( which I am not ) I would look at Permanent residence as the best option. The requirements are listed here :

https://juslaws.com/permanent-residence.php?device=c&network=g&position=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlN32BRCCARIsADZ-J4vwjGh5xenvoGAtWD0Vi2-ZFDkxi3uiJQU-FryNRoplIsY39O8Z2dAaAlJLEALw_wcB

Not too difficult for anyone wanting to stay full time.

Edited by Denim

10 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Pessimistic?  I replied to your assertion I am a "conspiracy theorist" in the other thread, which lists exactly why I should be "pessimistic" about anything to do with immigration which does not involve "fat envelopes" to "solve problems."

6 hours ago, drbeach said:

Except that other countries are also likely to remain closed until further notice.

Hopefully, some within a 1/2 day flight will see the opportunity to get our spending supporting their businesses by July 31. 

6 hours ago, drbeach said:

likes to make Thailand out to be the worst country in the world

Not "Thailand" - Immigration - big difference.  I love Thailand.  As far as Immigration's efforts to break up foreigner-marriages to their citizens, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, and the PI are much better than here.

I'm not paying immigration a $1000 USD "envelope" through one of their "lawyer" buddies, for an extension I already "officially" qualify for.  I'd rather do lockdown somewhere 2 weeks than pay immigration's corruption.  If that happens, I will get a lot of work done, and come back when it is possible, again.

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

If all offices would follow only the published rules - not adding any "unpublished rule" extras to block non-agent applications - that would not be a problem for most of us to do.  I just posted my "fully qualified but rejected" history ... added 2 new rejections for this year at BOI and Chiang Mai:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1166857-anyone-have-a-crystal-ball-for-us-non-o-holders/?do=findComment&comment=15482751

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Both the border bounce method and marriage extensions have been abused ( fake marriages and permanent bouncing ) so will likely either be tightened up or scrapped.

Using a visa within it's legal rules is not "abusing" anything.  "They" wrote the rules we are following. 

As to "fake marriages" - that would cost more than agent-fees.  It's 15K Baht (or less) to get a retirement extension in Jomtien with NO Financials met.  It's 25K if 1-year plus the "starter" Non-O 90-day from a tourist-entry.   No "fake wife" would cost less than that to pay off. 

The "bad foreigner" stories are only a propaganda to justify making applications more difficult, to generate more agent-money.  Take "cracking down" on those retired here for years on the financials - the "agent loopholes" were kept intact.  We know who the "bad guys" are.

Agree with you on PR (or citizenship) though, for those who can do the 3 years of work to get the ball rolling - and assume you must keep working while in-process for more years.  Not easy for the retired guys.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

You are all talking bad about Thailand. I`m sure the Thai government are not completely stupid.

This is Thailand ,It will take time. Something will happen. I have no idea what. But whats new.  It`s Thailand. Wo knows ???

5 minutes ago, ray666 said:

You are all talking bad about Thailand. I`m sure the Thai government are not completely stupid.

This is Thailand ,It will take time. Something will happen. I have no idea what. But whats new.  It`s Thailand. Wo knows ???

Immigration does not "equal" Thailand (thank goodness).

But agree we can only wait and see. 

Ok, amnesty until 31 July, leave the country but getting back in is going to be tricky. I have a feeling that the mandatory  $100,000 Covid-19 insurance requirement that has just been implemented for incoming with NON-B will be applied to many inbound travelers, especially UK & US citizens (if they’re allowed in at all) for the foreseeable future. I don’t know how much cash (400k baht possibly?) is needed to convert multiple entry NON-O and how long it needs to be in account before applying.... if anyone can clarify would be much appreciated.... 

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The only folk that a resident are the very small % that have PR. 

I have been here several years on retirement extensions. I am here on TEMPORARY  permission of stay.

Post #8 has a good point and those folk from non o multi (married) are caught out.

So many thinking that can do border bounce as in the past need plan B.

I'll have to agree with you on that. In fact, I was about to mention that in my reply - that even one or two year extensions of stay do not technically qualify as "residency". They're still as impermanent as the non-O multi entries, just that they have more peace of mind and don't need to exit the country.

We don't know what will happen, but hopefully IF traveling is no longer going to be the same as it used to be, that Thailand will design an immigration system that is a bit friendlier, thus eliminating the non-O multi with it's 90-150 day in country limits BUT not making it too difficult to live here on an extension.

18 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If all offices would follow only the published rules - not adding any "unpublished rule" extras to block non-agent applications - that would not be a problem for most of us to do. 

Not only all offices....... Embassies and Consulates too. It would seem the RTE London is also making its own rules up now.  I cannot obtain a Multi Non O from them - only a single but I can obtain a Multi Entry Tourist Visa. A couple of years back I was stopped at immigration and told that if I want to continue visiting my wife, I should have a Non O - which I agree, is correct. I know of others who've been told the same.

Yet, although they won't give me a Multi Non O in London, they will give me a Multi Entry Tourist Visa which they advertise as being suitable for a short visit to family living in Thailand. I would consider my wife to be family and I have previously been specifically told that visiting a wife is not considered as tourism and I should not use either 30 day visa waivers or a Tourist Visa to enter Thailand for the purpose of visiting my wife...........yet:

Tourist Visa 

Requirement

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter Thailand for the purpose of (1) tourism, (2) short visit to family living in Thailand, (3) medical treatment with registered hospitals, and (4) participating in MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Exhibitions) supported by TCEB.

For other purposes than tourism and medical treatment, visitors to Thailand must apply for Non-Immigrant visas.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

Granted a Non O gives me a 90 day entry but I rarely stay longer than 2 weeks in any case. If I wasn't able to obtain a Multi from Vietnam/Laos I would need to get 6 single entry Non O's per year from London but only 2 Multi Entry Tourist Visas if I am to believe what the RTE London says.

I can see a situation where someone obtains a Tourist Visa to visit their wife and is refused entry because its the wrong visa.  The team members are all 'singing from different hymn books'.

Then there's the point that some Consulates don't require financial evidence for Multi Non O applications whilst others do. I always take mine with me just in case - its a long way to go to find that 'today' they require them.

Putting aside the 'varying rules' at immigration offices within Thailand - because I think we all know what that's about.........don't you find that this inconsistency is endemic in many spheres in Thailand?

There are two 3BB offices in Pak Chong. Last year when I wanted Broadband installing, one office told me they needed the application to be in a Thai name and it would take 3 weeks. The other office accepted my passport as ID and carried out the installation in 5 days.

Last week my wife tried to send a parcel to me via the DHL office in Korat. She was told it was not possible as there are no planes flying to Europe at the moment.  My friend who works for a company in Bangkok has been sending packages to Europe through DHL throughout the pandemic.

Total lack of knowledge and training by both the government and private companies.

• Like 1