HONDA CT125 Launched Today 84,950 Baht

this bike is based on a popular selling bike that was used by the Australian postal service for many many years.

They were indestructible in Australia and i have many a memory of have to fix up the grass out the front of our house after it had rained and the "postie' had ripped up the lawn.

My late father had a Honda franchise when i was young and i can remember riding one of these bikes over 45 years ago.

they have changed little, except for a decline in quality, since then and i find the price reprehensible for these bikes.

i can see the whole "retro" thing happening but surely if Honda had a more aggressive pricing structure they would sell more bikes.

Or are they trying the "exclusive" thing where only special people ride these bikes ?

that idea has not worked out with the Monkey or Supercub so well.

• Like 2

Thats a hefty price tag for a bike that will have limited appeal in Thailand, a single seat will limit most buyers. And the branding iron exhaust pipe running inches away from exposed thighs.

Maybe there is a plan for a whole range of after market accessories, bigger seat etc. It appears to be how many things are marketed nowadays, sell it short a few features, knowing most will buy the extras.

On 6/2/2020 at 3:51 PM, JonnyF said:

Looks OK, but expensive.

If you want a "go anywhere" type of bike then a KLX150 would be better and it's 6,000 cheaper as well.

image.png.074aa1dc0178c833daaa86027748af89.png

I have always thought a trail bike is an obvious choice in Thailand, road quality, floods etc. I cant understand why there are not more around.

• Like 2

Thank you Issanman for posting those links. BNS in Chiang Mai sent me those prices. Couldnt see much differences between the bikes. 24,000 is a lot of extra money for some extra racks on the khaki one. 

• Thanks 1

eisfeld , you make some very good points. Honda are trying to be a niche fashion brand like Vespa etc. I cant see this working. Honda lost its way years ago. I think this "dual sport cub" looks superb and offers real potential , but 85K is pushing it. 95K and 109K is plain bonkers. I get annoyed at Honda for stubbornly refusing to correct a bad design idea , such as the 16" front wheel on the early Fireblades and the dangerous CBS linked brakes on the bikes today. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 3:51 PM, JonnyF said:

Looks OK, but expensive.

If you want a "go anywhere" type of bike then a KLX150 would be better and it's 6,000 cheaper as well.

image.png.074aa1dc0178c833daaa86027748af89.png

Even though it's still on the Kawasaki website, the KLX150 can't be bought new (maybe some dealers still have some old stock) anymore because Kawasaki stopped producing it, so sales probably sucked, even though i see them sometimes.

The CT125 promo video:

Looks like they are marketing it as an hipster adventure bike, which explains the price (it's basically a Honda Wave with more ground clearance and ABS, 10-15k more than a Wave would have been ok, 30k more is quite a lot).

After living in LOS for over 25 years it is ironic to see this post, as just today I commenced registering our Honda Dream 125cc 2009 model (the last with a carburettor) that I bought in Chiang Mai, just before we left LOS for ever in 2013. The CT-90 and then CT-110 was sold in Australia for over 30 years or so, targeted at farmers. Thousands of them were sold for just that purpose. Total reliability. My Thai missus and I now live in a rural area and we see old ones. The Post Office started using them and for at least 20 years they delivered the mail as well. The Thai-built Hondas are far superior in every detail, than anything made by Honda in China and I suspect that this is just more Chinese-built rubbish. Like its' predecessors, this is just another Honda Dream/Wave variant with centrifuge clutch. No clutch lever. They retail in Oz today at over $6K - or 125K baht ! Our Thai-built 2009 model Dream passed rego in Oz ok, but the workshop told me the local post office bought the Chinese ones and they are constantly repaired and, are absolute trash ! I bought a Thai made 100cc Dream for 36,400 baht from Niyom Panich in CM in 2000 - we sold it for 18,000 baht when we left in 2013.

I rented a Chinese-made Wave in Laos in 2005 - it was garbage and nothing worked. Honda made in LOS = OK. Chinese made baby Hondas ? Forget it.

On 6/5/2020 at 7:42 PM, Issanman said:

Honda Thailand LINK for all three versions. Towards the bottom of this page are pictures and prices of all available factory accessories to build your own special edition. ...

I was looking for a James Bond version with the machine guns, missile launcher and pop-up gyro-copter option.  No hab.

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2020 at 5:48 PM, papa al said:

Limited edition.

They will sell off quickly.

There are 150 limited edition versions being made. Thats not even 1 per country. I should think more than 1 person in each country of the world will buy these. In the video , the bike performs a skid , so i guess no ABS on the rear. Does anyone know what the rack/holder on the left rear is.

Edited by ktm jeff

8 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

There are 150 limited edition versions being made. Thats not even 1 per country. I should think more than 1 person in each country of the world will buy these. In the video , the bike performs a skid , so i guess no ABS on the rear. Does anyone know what the rack/holder on the left rear is.

I think the limited editions are only available in Thailand.

Fishing rod holder:

a_6.jpg.7850970f2e23c53a4fd84034056e0352.jpg

• Like 1