The best massage for sciatica in Bangkok?

galolo

Hi everyone, i started suffering recently from unbearable sciatica pain in my leg and i was wondering if any of you can recommend any good massage place or spa in Bangkok that has skilled therapists with this regard as i prefer not use painkillers to relieve the pain. Thank you.

Galolo----don't want to wast your time..but massage in Issan is done at the larger hospitals, I am in Udon and the main hospital there has about 10 masseuses --they have their own dept....there must be something like that in a Thai hospital in BKK.

There is a mob in Pattaya ???????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????" ???????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????? ???????????????????????? --they post different exercises on FB to relive pain....they do some on the Sciatica, which might help you.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, galolo said:

if any of you can recommend any good massage place or spa in Bangkok that has skilled therapists

Massage will not get rid of sciatica, you need to see a doctor, not some unknown, amateur masseuse or 'spa' employee.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

My experience is no massage will help sciatica.

Go see a Chiropractor.  Soi 13 has a few below Trendy.

There is also a Chiropractor in Sukhumvit Soi 79. Been meaning to give them a visit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

My experience is no massage will help sciatica.

Go see a Chiropractor.  Soi 13 has a few below Trendy.

agree, last year big suffering, barely could walk, chiro and acupuncture helped a lot

• Like 2

i'd be very wary about massage for medical conditions in thailand. i have a friend who is a professional masseuse and who paid a lot for a course with a thai instructor in chaing mai, basically the instructor knew considerably less than my friend and the whole set up was badly run and unprofessional.

i believe many people who work in massage in thailand are not qualified or trained to any professional level.

for a relaxing massage i'm sure such people are fine, but for medical conditions refer to medically qualified people.

• Like 2

The only long term solution is physical therapy

Sciatica is caused by muscles pinching the nerve in the lower back

A good physical therapist can identify which muscles are being pinched and design an exercise regimen that will eliminate that "pinching" naturally

That being said,  my experience with Thai Physical Therapists has been mixed.  Here in Pattaya, Bangkok Hospital Pattaya is totally useless.  After doing my elephant tricks for the attendant the head doctor walked by and asked why I was using my own ice pack after my session, and I replied because your people are too stupid to provide it

Immediately went to Pattaya International and the department there was excellent and continued the exactly the regimen as in the US (including ice pack cool down after the session)

I feel the OP's pain, there is just something about back pain that effects your entire body, and with the Thai aversion to pain killers, your only effective option here is Physical Therapy, in my opinion 

• Like 2

Yep, as above, a good physio should do the trick. A Thai massage could actually aggravate it. Physio kept me going for years until I reached the point where I had to go to the Doc and eventually ended up with a microdiscectomy. A couple of very good surgeons in Bangkok.

1 hour ago, sungod said:

Yep, as above, a good physio should do the trick. A Thai massage could actually aggravate it. Physio kept me going for years until I reached the point where I had to go to the Doc and eventually ended up with a microdiscectomy. A couple of very good surgeons in Bangkok.

In my case a Thai massage did make it much worse, so much so I ended up in hospital.  The pain was horrible, I couldn’t walk and had to be carried by ambulance staff down four floors.  No elevator.

Never been near a Thai massage since and never going to.  This happened ten years ago.

• Like 2

I had really bad sciatica about 4 years ago when I lived in Siem Reap and had 2 trips to 'top' hospitals in Bangkok and Chinag Mai. After 2 spinal MRI and nothing conclusive, which did not stop them offering a spine fusion procedure at $25k and up, I found an acupuncturist in SR and after 7 sessions have been pain free ever since.

I had previously tried physio, osteopath and chiropractor, nothing worked. I was at the stage where I could walk no more than 50 yards without sitting down in agony. It is amazing what you will try when you are desperate, and I was very skeptical about alternate medecine. Nothing to lose - shouldn't make anything worse and as others say I'd not trust massage here, could do more damage than help.

Don't mess with your spine.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

OP:  Look-up "Meralgia Paresthetica" (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/meralgia-paresthetica/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20355639)

Several years ago, I suffered agonizing leg pain in my right leg from what I thought was "Sciatica".  Most Doctors wanted to do spinal MRI's and other intensive testing.  

Finally, Sheryl on this forum recommended Dr. Wicharn at BNH and he recommended a nerve function test which revealed this specific condition.  It is actually fairly rare so I'm not saying that it is what you are suffering from but it's worth considering.  

I was prescribed "Lyrica", a nerve relaxant and "Myonal", a muscle relaxant.  The pain quickly disappeared and has never returned. 

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

Sciatica comes and goes. MRI or X ray can identify where in the back bone, which vertebrae,  the nerve is being trapped leading to a plan for appropriate treatment which could include muscle relaxants such as Valium, or surgery or osteopathy or...just waiting till it goes. In the UK under the NHS HIT just waiting hoping for it to go is the main option but here in Thailand you can get real treatment.

21 minutes ago, moontang said:

A relative told me she got great results doing stretching exercises for her sciatica pain.  

Yes. And gentle walking and checking one's posture. Sitting for prolonged periods is bad. There are Tai Chi, yoga and other exercises such as the 'English Bow' that can help.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, dddave said:

OP:  Look-up "Meralgia Paresthetica" (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/meralgia-paresthetica/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20355639)

Several years ago, I suffered agonizing leg pain in my right leg from what I thought was "Sciatica".  Most Doctors wanted to do spinal MRI's and other intensive testing.  

Finally, Sheryl on this forum recommended Dr. Wicharn at BNH and he recommended a nerve function test which revealed this specific condition.  It is actually fairly rare so I'm not saying that it is what you are suffering from but it's worth considering.  

I was prescribed "Lyrica", a nerve relaxant and "Myonal", a muscle relaxant.  The pain quickly disappeared and has never returned. 

A good positive post.

If you want a great place for physical therapy and very reasonable, try Mahidol Physical Therapy in Pinklao, information below. I had over 10 ortho surgeries b4 coming to Thailand (due to car accidents stopped at red lights) and thus well versed in PT treatment protocols. I paid a lot more back home but facilities in Beverly Hills looked like Bumrungrad. Mahidol does not look fancy but they use similar techniques and have a special laser for pain. (in US they would charge $150+ for 15 minutes...here it's included in the price about 1100 baht for visit on Saturday and Sunday. have used them for almost two years  after two knee replacement surgeries and my ongoing back problems (several

mechanical ssues, sciatica, scoliosis, spondylolisthesis, and others) late effects of the car accidents. You need to register to get a card before and then they will  give appt. 

Pre-Covid there were physical therapy students from overseas coming for 2-4 week training sessions.

Physical therapy center (The foot of Somdet Phra Pinklao Bridge) Faculty of Physical Therapy Mahidol University
198/2 Somdet Phra Pinklao Road Bang Yi
Khan Subdistrict, Bang Phlat District, Bangkok 10700 Tel: 063-520-5151 

• 1 month later...