BANGKOK
DJ54

Udon Thani bar street will any survive virus closure

With the closures of bars due to Covid-19 restrictions will any of the Bars on bar street (near the mall) survive?

Before the closure many bars looked on the edge of selling out and closing. I’ve not been up that way for 6 months.

Sime of the bars that seemed busy than others.. the owners seemed frustrated first the military control era closing

hours shortened and now another hurdle...

Last time I was there (January) the area looked on its last legs anyway. So I think the answer is 'no'.

Posted (edited)

At New Year and the week or 2 afterwards, one of the 3 times annually that I stay in Udon, there seemed to be more farangs around, and not just in Soi Sampan (Bar Street?), than there have been for a couple of years. But what the future holds is anyone's guess!

Edited by SunsetT

Posted (edited)

Sadly the bars are now only frequented by the dregs of Udon Thani, druggies and a few sex tourists passing through.

Soi farang will soldier on but the rents are becoming unreasonable for the quieter bars.

Edited by twocatsmac
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

In early March before the lockdown some had no customers while others were quite busy.

It will be only the ones with deep pockets that will survive.

I have never heard anyone talk of Soi Farang or Bar Street in Udon Thani.  At a guess they might be Nutty Park and Soi Sampan (Samphanthamit).  Please enlighten me.

• Like 2

Best thing they could do is move the bars to another area. There is a drive to make the Samphang area more family friendly. If the police simply force the bars to close, the trade will move underground. The market will set the course. However, with the long closure and the banning of foreigners coming to Thailand, who knows what kind of a market will be out there.? There is also no promise the bars will reopen in July and even if they do there may be a bag full of rules and restricted operting hours.

The German restaurant Zur Pfalz still does well and from the bars I only drop by at the Fun Bar as the owner always is a nice chap with his Mrs.

Soisampan is not much special and it will be interesting to see how many will reopening in Udon. Two farang bars near the Park have shut down and the bars was not sold but just just shutdown.

• Like 1

For me I can't see the problem (but that is JMHO) of sitting in the bar buy a girl a drink and having a chat and say good night afterwards

• Like 2

I have only ever made 2 over-night stops in Udon Thani and was glad to move on - awful, just like Pattaya and Patong! I preferred Nong Khai with its farang and Thai bars/restaurants, especially those along the Mekong promenade, but even here, nothing like back in the old days before the last coup when the resort was busy with ex-pats on visa runs.