Culture Ministry proposes holidays from July 4th to 9th for Songkran celebrations

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

Makes little difference what labels you put on it , in the end of the day does not change the fact that the country was on a 3 months holiday , paid, unpaid , forced or otherwise 

my staff that were stood down did not consider it a holiday and were very happy to come back to work.

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

April 13 next year? You can’t “postpone” a new year. It happens when it happens, if it’s possible to celebrate, you do so. If it’s not possible, you wait for the next new year.

velly true....

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

There goes all pretense of social distancing once they hit the beach. Let's see if we get the traditional kneejerk crackdown.

Let's see if we get the traditional DrTurner kneejerk prediction of doom - oh we did.  Again.  For the 100th time.

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

velly true....

Something wrong with your spell check?  Or is this just a hilarious attempt at humour?  It's so amazingly good - you should be on telly [maybe a Jim Davidson tribute act].

Edited by josephbloggs

Think about it Thais have been doing it tough for about 3 months now No work Living on food handouts Is it that dam important to have these holidays? Oh come on I am sure most thais will not be upset if they dont?

They have already forgoten about Songran till next year. Guess they need to get the killing going on the roads again. Somebody better tell this dingbat culture Minister that thailand has a severe drought at the moment

As for school Yeah keep the kids from learning its great They did not get enough time off did they?

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Previously, there were discussions that the compensation holidays may be on July 6-7, along with Asarnha Bucha (the day before Buddhist Lent) and Vassa Day, which are on July 4-5. However, now there is a possibility of an extemded holidays from July 4 to July 9.

So open the schools then immediately have an extended holiday... brilliant.

6 hours ago, ubon farang said:

Think about it Thais have been doing it tough for about 3 months now No work Living on food handouts Is it that dam important to have these holidays? Oh come on I am sure most thais will not be upset if they dont?

They have already forgoten about Songran till next year. Guess they need to get the killing going on the roads again. Somebody better tell this dingbat culture Minister that thailand has a severe drought at the moment

As for school Yeah keep the kids from learning its great They did not get enough time off did they?

Of the 39 million officially employed in Thailand, how many have been laid off (not including those who were temporary stood down at 75% salary) ?

On 6/3/2020 at 4:57 PM, wharfdaddy said:

4th of July is when we celebrate Independence Day in The USA. Normally I get to give the British credit. This time I get to blame a virus.....uhhh, same thing.

July 4th seems great. Celebrate American Independence and Songkram in one. I'll buy a bunch of bottle rockets to celebrate, plus maybe a BBQ.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:46 AM, Phil McCaverty said:

He wasn't unseated he was moved up to a ministerial post and his brother took over as mayor of Pattaya.

Well, I thought  - by the media reports at that time - that he got "moved" without any electoral influence - which I interpreted as "unseated" - quite obviously I am wrong.

After being removed by Prayut in 2016 he sort of disappeared, lost an election 2018 in Cholburi but finally got appointed into the family's ministry of culture in July 2019 ???? 

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, I thought  - by the media reports at that time - that he got "moved" without any electoral influence - which I interpreted as "unseated" - quite obviously I am wrong.

After being removed by Prayut in 2016 he sort of disappeared, lost an election 2018 in Cholburi but finally got appointed into the family's ministry of culture in July 2019 ???? 

In 2016 he was replaced by a 12 man committee, appointed by Prayut. Ittipol became a monk. In April 2018 he was appointed as an assistant to the tourist and sports minister by Prayut. There have been no elections for the position of mayor of Pattaya since the junta came to power. Sontaya was appointed by Prayut to the position on September 25th 2018. 

The reason that the Khunploem family were brought back into the fold, prior to the elections was to ward off a bid by Somkid Jatusripitak to form a pro junta party to oppose Prayut's election as prime minister post election. They were seen as being capable of firming up Prayuts electoral base on the Eastern seaboard.

Edited by Phil McCaverty
  • Thanks 1